Molten Core Raider
best bang for buck at resolution:

4k/1440p: used gtx 1080ti

1440p: rtx 2060, vega 56, vega 64

1080p: rx 580

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is there any concern about going for a Radeon over an nVidia at the moment?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
General concerns? No. Some people will say amd has shit drivers while ignoring the numerous issues Nvidia has with theirs. Decision needs to be made on a card-by-card basis

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I currently have a GTX 970 that I bought in 2015 or something. Looking for a similar upgrade. The RX 590 is appealing to me because of price.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I currently have a GTX 970 that I bought in 2015 or something. Looking for a similar upgrade. The RX 590 is appealing to me because of price.
I dunno if that’s a big enough of an upgrade to justify making a change. I really doubt you’ll notice any dramatic improvement.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So if I want an actual leap in current performance I'd need a 1080ti or the RX Vega 64. Sounds like the Vega is what I'm going with as it is within the price range that I am willing to pay.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So if I want an actual leap in current performance I'd need a 1080ti or the RX Vega 64. Sounds like the Vega is what I'm going with as it is within the price range that I am willing to pay.
Come on bruh! Buy a 1080 Ti like I did! Get em used for $500-600!

Crone

How did you ensure that the warranty was intact Crone Crone ?
Guess you don't know for sure. EVGA is pretty awesome and gives a 3 year from date of manufacture warranty when you register it on the website as a second hand purchase. So mine still had a year and a half or so left on it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah not doing that. Vega 64 is good enough for me. Running the roulette wheel to hope that a secondhand 1080ti may or may not have a warranty intact (and all manufacturers could have different warranties) and also doesn't blow up in your face like yours did... to save a few hundred bucks.

I'll pass and just buy a sealed vega 64 for $540

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Yeah not doing that. Vega 64 is good enough for me. Running the roulette wheel to hope that a secondhand 1080ti may or may not have a warranty intact (and all manufacturers could have different warranties) and also doesn't blow up in your face like yours did... to save a few hundred bucks.

I'll pass and just buy a sealed vega 64 for $540

Used EVGA 1080ti is pretty safe. But you would have to buy soon. Debut of 1080ti was March 2017. So this is the last year of having any sort of warranty. I would not go this route with another brand.

If you had bought 2 weeks ago, you could have had a Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 for $400. Buying a 64 at $540 is getting hosed, imo. I'll keep an eye out for a good price.

Crone

So to tack onto the convesation recently about frame rates and things, what's my end goal, as I get my 1080Ti back tomorrow. Lower graphics settings until I can lock in 144hz? I'll have Gsync, so does that make a difference? I was playing Witcher 3, everything maxed, except Hairworks, and getting 100 FPS, that was awesome. But since I have 144hz display, am I gimping myself? What do I do?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So to tack onto the convesation recently about frame rates and things, what's my end goal, as I get my 1080Ti back tomorrow. Lower graphics settings until I can lock in 144hz? I'll have Gsync, so does that make a difference? I was playing Witcher 3, everything maxed, except Hairworks, and getting 100 FPS, that was awesome. But since I have 144hz display, am I gimping myself? What do I do?

Only you can answer that question. You're in the territory where it's a trade-off between settings and additional FPS. Which is worth more to you? If you're wondering if you need to always be reaching capped FPS: You don't. Freesync (Remember that you're using a freesync monitor) eliminates the tearing under capped FPS whereas vsync generally needs to be at a constant (capped usually) fps to work.

Note that VRR (Freesync/Gsync) doesn't fix the issue of a game having drastic FPS differences and making the smoothness of the experience feel off. Even with VRR, frames switching back and forth between say 90fps and 120fps at a regular occurance is going to feel weird, and artificially capping (custom HZ, or limiting via afterburner) at a low FPS can fix this, otherwise you'd want to lower settings to always be hitting your normal capped FPS (144 in your standard case)

Crone

So it's a matter of whether I want something to look more awesome, or whether or not 144 FPS is worth it to truly take advantage of the 144hz screen? So it's one of those am I playing a RPG or FPS type things? I want the faster response time in a FPS, but I'll take the better graphics in a RPG?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So it's a matter of whether I want something to look more awesome, or whether or not 144 FPS is worth it to truly take advantage of the 144hz screen? So it's one of those am I playing a RPG or FPS type things? I want the faster response time in a FPS, but I'll take the better graphics in a RPG?

Pretty much, but it also could be universal in some cases. I spent a fair amount of time testing out the benefits of various frame rates for myself and 100fps was where I started seeing diminishing returns, and 120 was where I stopped being able to tell any real difference. So I could comfortably aim for 120fps and not really lose much as a result, or aim for 100 if I needed the power for something else. These numbers are going to vary for everyone though.

Don't overthink this shit though. Remember how I mentioned when you were looking to buy how this shit can be a rabbit hole? You're peaking over the edge now. Just leave it at 144 with freesync enabled, crank everything to max and only adjust things if you're noticing that you would want some more FPS, or if you notice those wild swings I mentioned. Or just use the preset settings until you're constantly hitting max fps if you're playing something you'd rather have performance over quality.

Crone

Pretty much, but it also could be universal in some cases. I spent a fair amount of time testing out the benefits of various frame rates for myself and 100fps was where I started seeing diminishing returns, and 120 was where I stopped being able to tell any real difference. So I could comfortably aim for 120fps and not really lose much as a result, or aim for 100 if I needed the power for something else. These numbers are going to vary for everyone though.

Don't overthink this shit though. Remember how I mentioned when you were looking to buy how this shit can be a rabbit hole? You're peaking over the edge now. Just leave it at 144 with freesync enabled, crank everything to max and only adjust things if you're noticing that you would want some more FPS, or if you notice those wild swings I mentioned. Or just use the preset settings until you're constantly hitting max fps if you're playing something you'd rather have performance over quality.
Thats what I do. Crank it all to max, and roll with it! Haha. Well that's what I did for the hour I got to use my new card.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Personally I aim for anything 60+ fps with the highest settings I can have. 144hz is great, but I don't like lowering my quality to get there.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, but some games are worth tinkering with as going from say high to ultra can be up to a 30-50% increase in demand, with marginal improvements to picture quality. You can often get ultra at the cost of high just by turning down shadows and things like SSAO/HBAO down a single notch as well, or turning off things like hairworks.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user