Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I need advice on a new monitor. Willing to spend up to $2k on a good one if it's worth the price tag. Thinking I want an Ultra-Wide with HDR support and good enough refresh rate to play something like Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice without any issues. I don't know how important these things are though in that regard hence needing the advice.

I'd be looking at this LG.

EDIT that might be the wrong one I was thinking of, looking more

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

This thing is beastly if you could wait for it

It’s not talked about in the official press release but from the LG.Display panel roadmap we are expecting this new panel to be VESA DisplayHDR 600 certified, originally in fact planned to be HDR 1000 but since updated to the lower spec. We may therefore see a 600 cd/m2 peak brightness spec for the 38GL950G by the time specs are finalised, including some form of edge-lit local dimming for HDR uses. That remains to be seen, as it is not listed in the press release at the moment, and perhaps may be too much of a challenge, or too expensive, to get working with the G-sync module here.

This is the only thing I'd be concerned about.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bought the Radeon Vega 64 for $450. It is beyond me why to pay for the 1080ti for $1200 for such a marginal gain.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

GTC 2019 Keynote in little less than an hour from now. Not really expecting to much but maybe pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bought the Radeon Vega 64 for $450. It is beyond me why to pay for the 1080ti for $1200 for such a marginal gain.
1080 Ti, for that price is just stupid. 2080 Ti for that price is better.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Went with a $6 key from ebay. Worked immediately. Even if it gets deactivated later, it was so cheap I almost don't even care.

I never even considered that. I got an 8.1 key off software swap eons ago and it still works. I bought a W10Pro key for $4.89 just for giggles.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got myself a Gainward 1660 TI for €245 and just installed it. Performance definitely exceeds expectations on a 2560x1080 resolution. Tested Doom, GTA 5, Far Cry and the latest Tomb Raider so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I follow AMD stock, and this came up today (along with a nice price bump):

Ordinarily, I'd think it's just Google puffing about it's latest vaporware and keeping relevant. But because AMD is involved, I think it's more legit.

Stadia seems like it could be huge. No cheating in online games would be really welcome. Not sure what would happen to consoles and GPUs...

nm, there's already a post about it in consoles section

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've got fiber and my fucking ISP has enough trouble with their network that I regularly get dropped Skype calls. The prospect of 60fps 4k streaming with good latency is laughable. I played some of AC: Odyssey in the Project Stream beta and it was... ok. Colors were washed out, fuzzy at 1440p, and it played a bit sluggish, but was tolerable for free. I wouldn't categorize it as anywhere comparable to local hardware, however.

Edit: Well, I said that and then an hour later my ISP spontaneously sent some guys out to my neighborhood and seem to have fixed my problem.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My cable is $100 a month, $60 being for unlimited data $40 for 250 mb. I could never deal with a cap.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
is a vega 64 aircooled worth it for 300 bucks? I have an opportunity to get one off my friend to replace my rx 580.

I wasn't planning to get a new videocard for a year or two since i only have a 1080p monitor and would like to replace that likely this fall or so. But this seems like a fair bit less then the street price even i only mostly use it for playing overwatch and use my ps pro/tv for gaming.