Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
PtxdtbN.png

Wonder if the 3000 series is highly binned as the previous generations. None of them had much oc headroom.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So if the new AMD CPUs come out 7/7 that should drop the price of the, say, Ryzen 7 2700X a bit? I might just bite if it drops under €200.
Currently have a Ryzen5 1400.

Further, what's a significant but still affordable upgrade to my 1050TI? I might just go AMD this time because the monitor I have has Freesync.
So RX590 or 1660TI?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Wonder if the 3000 series is highly binned as the previous generations. None of them had much oc headroom.
AMD are holding back some, but my guess is it might only be a few hundred mhz. Sounds like none of leakers or mb makers have production silicon yet, rather *good* engineering samples. Prob safe bet that is aggressive binning is required since its a new 7nm process. 7nm+ and 6nm variation should provide better thermals and frequencies next year.

But none knows if AMD is going to be agressive, and push Zen 3 out fast, or respin Zen 2 and tweak on t7/6 nm. The decision has already been made, die cast and everyone has finished their turn....My bet would be AMD decided be to hold back and milk things a lil (like Intel did hehe), given how Intel is still flapping and flopping around even with patched up 10nmprocess yields and performance. AMD *should* be paranoid about Intel comback sooner than later heh, I do not buy any of the doom and gloom about Intel is dead blah blah blah.... too early to tell other than 10nm is foobared.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
So if the new AMD CPUs come out 7/7 that should drop the price of the, say, Ryzen 7 2700X a bit? I might just bite if it drops under €200.

Further, what's a significant but still affordable upgrade to my 1050TI? I might just go AMD this time because the monitor I have has Freesync.
So RX590 or 1660TI?
CPUs: prices should drop soonish, and good deals should pop up on 2700x just like 1800x last year. 6 core Zen 2 (which is actually rumoured close to 2700x performance ) might be a better upgrade though for gaming unless you need more cores for something else.

GPU: If you can, wait until AMD releases Navi and NVIDIA responds, in a month or two. Then should have big price drops again and perhaps something newer. I would def NOT get RX590 at current prices. Im leaning towards NVIDIa next round unless Navi surprises. I had too many black screen time-out issues bug with my recent RX570 build.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

With the upgrades to Instrucitons Per Cycle and Cache, I'm pretty sure the 2700x will be outmatched by even the 3600.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Word on the street is that in the launch Ryzen 3000 are the core chiplets that didn't quite make it for the Epyc Rome selection, which seems also to be the reason AMD starts with 12C consumer chips, even though 16C is possible. So at the beginning I wouldn't count on OC headroom until the 7nm process stablizes.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Word on the street is that in the launch Ryzen 3000 are the core chiplets that didn't quite make it for the Epyc Rome selection, which seems also to be the reason AMD starts with 12C consumer chips, even though 16C is possible. So at the beginning I wouldn't count on OC headroom until the 7nm process stablizes.

I am going to buy a 12/24, deactivate 4 cores, and try to OC the remaining 8 to 5GHz. Pray for me.

• 1WTF

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Fair warning my company has been warned by our supply partners that pricing of CPU's will be hit by tariffs on 6/7, so prepare for a 15-25% increase in prices.

Not sure what other computer components will also be affected.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Fair warning my company has been warned by our supply partners that pricing of CPU's will be hit by tariffs on 6/7, so prepare for a 15-25% increase in prices.

Not sure what other computer components will also be affected.

All AMD 7nm is from TSMC, no? I know they have a couple Chinese fabs, but no clue which are handling 3000s.

Last edited:

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Machine shut off mid-game, now refuses to power on with video card installed, so I guess it's super dead. Amazes me how computer hardware is so unbelievably fragile when the only moving parts are fans. Last two video cards were Sapphire and both became unusable on me, so I guess that brand is scratched off my list of acceptable manufacturers. This card lasted 2 years 4 months. No games for me until mid July I guess. My 10 year old card doesn't even have Windows 10 drivers to make the reso 1080p with

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
TFW your mom and stepdad (both over 65) ask you to build them a computer and they ask that it has a 3.5 floppy drive.

• 1Mother of God

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
TFW your mom and stepdad (both over 65) ask you to build them a computer and they ask that it has a 3.5 floppy drive.
Haha my wife needed a floppy drive for some really old disks her family had. Just get a USB one, they work flawlessly.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Haha my wife needed a floppy drive for some really old disks her family had. Just get a USB one, they work flawlessly.

At least it isn't 5" floppy they asked for :p

I ended up getting them a Ryzen 3 2200G. Such a great little processor.