Desktop Computers

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My dad is 80. Everything is a thingy. You know that thingy that has stuff on it you stick in there when referrnig to flash drive/ That thingy you have to set on the computer to get stuff to plot. You know that thingy that you have to lift up to change the toner on the plotter. That thingy, it's the tech answer to everything.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I need 3 120mm fans, someone just tell me what to buy. Ive all ready spent way to much time looking at this stupid shit. Should it be a fucking 3 or 4 pack for 20 bucks or just get 3 20 dollar ones. No RGB.

Basic computer with plenty of room and i just want it cooler in there.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need 3 120mm fans, someone just tell me what to buy. Ive all ready spent way to much time looking at this stupid shit. Should it be a fucking 3 or 4 pack for 20 bucks or just get 3 20 dollar ones. No RGB.

Basic computer with plenty of room and i just want it cooler in there.

Noctua NF-S12 has been my go to case fan.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Built mom's new computer. I find it amusing that squinting at the the f-panel connectors is the part of building a computer I find most "difficult".

Why they still don't have a standard across all cases and mobos is beyond me.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Built mom's new computer. I find it amusing that squinting at the the f-panel connectors is the part of building a computer I find most "difficult".

Ive been saying the same thing for the past 10 yrs. Why is there not a set standard plug for all that shit, I mean, most fucking mo-bos are already in agreement about it anyways since the pins are all same on 90% of the boards I used. Not sure about AMD though but I cant see why it would be different in anyway. I also have fat finger problem too, which does not help.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Side note to this. My dad had PC trouble literally every week, shit just going bad all the time.

I built him a PC 4 years ago and I haven't heard a SINGLE COMPLAINT of anything going wrong on it. Nothing!

I was worried I'd be the IT man, but then I realized I already was so might as well build him soemthing good. Thing is a tank.

Fucker

Log Wizard

The 4 post AMD AM4 cooler is the worst thing I tried, at least with the backplate MSI included. MSI made the posts too short, so there was no getting that cooler on without putting a serious amount of force on it. MSI makes some thin boards, and I wonder how many people killed their boards trying to put that stock cooler on. MSI also put giant heastsinks all over the board...but also covered the fins on them. About as useful as tits on a bowling ball.

Another pain is the CPU power connector that can't easily be unplugged with a tower cooler present.

Angled SATA ports can fuck right off. Royal pain to get to with a fully built computer.

Ultra mini M2 screws...utterly pointless.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

I use a big magnifying glass I have on an adjustable stand with a light built into the magnify glass. Like a flexible lamp. Use it for reading 40-50 old weathered drawings that were originally blue line. Comes in handy for that stuff. No way I could stick a 3 pin connected on a 4 pin header correctly without it.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
And now for something completely different from the bizzaro world of Apple..... the new Mac Pro, custom designed to grate through all those tough MacPro tasks:

A must for the ultra chic, gloriously glamorous Kitchen aesthetic, with awesomeness of the "Cheese Grater Air flow" tm design dump all that excess Intel 14nm +++ process heat. Best part! You get not only the best of Intel, but also AMD: a *double* AMD Vega , so Pro-great AMD decided to recycle a few rejects from all that gaming market demand....yah. Woho!
Oven hot to go with the kitchen theme? Ohhh yah! This baby will keep those toes toasty aaaaall through those cold winter AND summer nights, yep!

Just.... hillariously sad to think of some Apple junkie shmuck plunking down $40k + on a cheese grater appliance equipped with 28 core Xeon-Vega 2x space heater.... and forgetting to upgrade the *whoa*.....default 256 GB SSD.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Nothing too terribly super coming in graphics until 2020 and were stuck with Navi and rewarmed RTX Tis from NVIDIA for a year?

NVIDIA Ampere on Samsung EUV 7nm linked from the ultra sleuths @ wccftech tech.

Missed this over the winter. Is Digitimes as horribly late with their news as usual or is there something new confirmed?

Argarth

On the verandah
Apple is the technology company for people who know nothing about technology, and have more money than sense. Fortunately for them, the planet is crawling with such people.

I've never given them a single dollar, and never will.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Apple is the technology company for people who know nothing about technology, and have more money than sense. Fortunately for them, the planet is crawling with such people.

On PC side I agree. But I love my iPen thingy for my modern "Newton Pro" @ work: indispensible for notes, sketches, meetings etc, can ssh and work comfortably in a pinch. Hard to beat Apple there still with Android or even Surface (with its potential x86/Linux dual boot advantages).

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

I think there are a few Apple users who get lured in by a cool gadget or business need, and would now flee, but they are lost in the "ecosystem".

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
The 4 post AMD AM4 cooler is the worst thing I tried, at least with the backplate MSI included. MSI made the posts too short, so there was no getting that cooler on without putting a serious amount of force on it. MSI makes some thin boards, and I wonder how many people killed their boards trying to put that stock cooler on. MSI also put giant heastsinks all over the board...but also covered the fins on them. About as useful as tits on a bowling ball.

Another pain is the CPU power connector that can't easily be unplugged with a tower cooler present.

Angled SATA ports can fuck right off. Royal pain to get to with a fully built computer.

Ultra mini M2 screws...utterly pointless.
Had to jury rig my MSI Mortar Titanium with hacked spacers between MB and backplate to use an AM4 adapter for a Hyper 212 cooler. Its a shitty & weird backplate and flimsy construction, scratches MSI off my list for a while. Top of my list to consider for x570 board upgrades is definitely going to be another Asus Crosshair (or Sabretooth if they come out with one) .

Cant complain too much about my recent builds since I discovered Fractal Design to be a dream for accesability and maintenance access. My always go to case company now for ATX, uATX and mini ITX: they have made for a wonderful change from the steel tank death traps I still had kicking around from the 90s heh.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My younger kid (15) was all about that iphone when I took him last time to get upgrade. He was taking nothing but iThings for weeks leading up to this grand event. So yeah, he gets his iphone 10 or whatever, and now almost 2 yrs later hes shitting all over it. Wants a samsung.

• 1Worf

Fucker

Log Wizard
Had to jury rig my MSI Mortar Titanium with hacked spacers between MB and backplate to use an AM4 adapter for a Hyper 212 cooler. Its a shitty & weird backplate and flimsy construction, scratches MSI off my list for a while. Top of my list to consider for x570 board upgrades is definitely going to be another Asus Crosshair (or Sabretooth if they come out with one) .

Cant complain too much about my recent builds since I discovered Fractal Design to be a dream for accesability and maintenance access. My always go to case company now for ATX, uATX and mini ITX: they have made for a wonderful change from the steel tank death traps I still had kicking around from the 90s heh.

I'll give FD a look. I gutted the CM 690II the Ryzen is in and put new fans in it. I didn't need the HD cage in the front so I took it out.

I have a new Phanteks for my 4790K and it sucks ass. Flimsy, and the PSU cover makes all the power cables PITA to plug in. Very quiet and very cool, but impossible to work on.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
+1 for Fractal Design cases, I bought the R5 (now superseded by the R6 it seems) and it was very easy to work on, and nice and quiet too. Also, it looks like a tasteful black box, I'm way too old for XTREEME GAMER nonsense.

• 1Solidarity