Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh you mean the windows and rainbow bright LED lights everywhere?
Went to a massive 800 person Lan party earlier this year and while I was totally against rgb setups before, actually seeing them, some were pretty damn cool. Made me want to build a new rediculous rgb rainbow bright machine.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Hey, don't knock Rainbow Brite, its great for the kiddies!

Seriously though, all the LCD crap has been helping get my youngest two (5 and 7) interested in computers. Hey, it is cheap and demeaning to us older farts but if you have kids gotta embrace the times and anything to help spur interest in STEM is good ....Go STEM go....

A Fractal Design Define Nano S Window Mini ITX with RGB shit combined with Lego Robotics is going to be the next "kids gaming build" for the family. Or perhaps front bay devices and Multi-function panels for a Focus G Mini or Focus G.

If the Ryzen 2 upgrades this summer are decent there might even be enough spare parts for two hehe.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I had always thought the lights were just for case fans and shit until I started looking for new parts. Now you can get that shit for your mobo? Your vid card? Your fucking ram? Though I did see some dude’s full RGB build on pcpartpicker or something that had damn near everything lit up all perfectly in sync and it did look pretty cool. How much extra power do all those damn lights take or is it not much since it’s just tiny LEDs?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The power consumption is negligible. LED tech has come a long way.

And yeah, there are pretty much no PC parts that aren't available in RGB now. I don't care much for them, and only dislike them as they are put on everything and they charge a premium amount for the "feature"

I think it's all gimmicky and while it's great for a little while once you build a new system, it quickly loses its appeal and you either stop noticing it, or you just disable them because they're distracting.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My younger kid (15) was all about that iphone when I took him last time to get upgrade. He was taking nothing but iThings for weeks leading up to this grand event. So yeah, he gets his iphone 10 or whatever, and now almost 2 yrs later hes shitting all over it. Wants a samsung.
wait, so this means your 13yr old $1k phone? and now 15yr old him wants a newer $1k phone? jfc

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
La Magra is coming!

3950X: 16/32, 3.5/4.7, 105W nothing but net

also behold the Radeon RX 5700XT

^^^ this one seems to be less of a swish.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well the 3900 is rumored MSRP at $500 so 3950 x one will be $600? $650? $800?

That thing is a beast, at least on paper.

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING REVIEWS?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well the 3900 is rumored MSRP at $500 so 3950 x one will be $600? $650? $800?

That thing is a beast, at least on paper.

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING REVIEWS?
Probably sell it for $700-800.

Seeing as how the processors dont come out til 7/7 I imagine we wont get reviews or legit leaks for another 3 weeks.

Argarth

On the verandah

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Certainly a welcome changing of guard, though hopefully only for a one or two year long eclipse: from looks of it If not for process and clock/power regressions Intel Sunnycove would actually be kicking ass. Hard to believe all those rumours were spot on re Intel troubles before Zen even came out. Such a crazy crash, from tier 1 porocess leadership hopeful to unmanufacturable dumpster fire. At least its gearing up to be a great battle for both architectures at next the node in 2021/22.

It will be very interesting to see how well NVIDIA does on Samsung 7nm vs AMD on TSMC 7 nm. Hopefully we shall get a nice peak at Navi today.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
La Magra is coming!

3950X: 16/32, 3.5/4.7, 105W nothing but net

also behold the Radeon RX 5700XT

^^^ this one seems to be less of a swish.

I'm really interested in their video card lineup. My 1080ti is going nicely, but I want an upgrade.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
AMD has always been known for the mid range and lower range price vs performance leaders. I cant see them coming up with amything to dethrone nvidias top lineup, and even then their drivers are still shit (this is coming from someone which had 2 580RX or whatever the fuck they were, cards int heir kids computers)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
AMD has always been known for the mid range and lower range price vs performance leaders. I cant see them coming up with amything to dethrone nvidias top lineup, and even then their drivers are still shit (this is coming from someone which had 2 580RX or whatever the fuck they were, cards int heir kids computers)

I should say...the AMD GPU drivers worked fine in the Ryzen box. Endless fiddling to get them to perform in the Intel box.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I should say...the AMD GPU drivers worked fine in the Ryzen box. Endless fiddling to get them to perform in the Intel box.

I jsut remember them having ton of in game issues, like textures fucking up, shit not showing up, in certain games scoping in was bugged, etc...etc... It was pretty bad. And yees it was an intel based system they both had. I jsut fuigured for 1080p I would get them that card because it was cheap and im not made of money, but shit I ended up replacing both their video cards with 1070s later on. And now they dont complain anymore.