Desktop Computers

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
If only they could match the performance

I am trying to have faith that the Red Devil XT from PowerColor in August will match/slightly best the 2070 Super. But the price will be about the same, too. Sapphire will probably have an equivalent as well.

Argarth

On the verandah
Until they can produce a card that would make upgrading from a 1080Ti (>2 year old card) actually worth considering, it's hard to get interested in Navi to be honest.

If they're not fully matching or beating NVidia in thermal performance yet, and you don't need AMD for VRR anymore, then the only other factor is price, right?

Still a couple more generations (at least) before Ray-Tracing is seriously worth caring about, and the whole situation seems just meh, underwhelming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Price vs performance. Nvidia hads been fleecing all of us for years now. Last top end card they wanted what? A grand for? Thats more than everything else combined im my case. Fuck them. I hope AMD gives them the big dick.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Boom.

TL;DR: Intel is still winning in poorly-threaded gaymen applications by less than a 5% margin in most scenarios; AMD wins in pretty much all other aspects including crypto and encoding while costing less and consuming less power.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Boom.

TL;DR: Intel is still winning in poorly-threaded gaymen applications by less than a 5% margin in most scenarios, AMD wins in pretty much all other aspects including crypto and encoding while costing less and consuming less power.
Might just buy a 9700K if the price drops go through...

Using 30w less power is really nice though. The 3700X is definitely a nice chip.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Nice to see them coming out swinging. I'm hoping the competition will have brought the market into a good situation for consumers by the time I replace my 8700k in 3-4 years. Intel is in a deep rut and they won't be climbing out of it until around that time at the earliest. Their reaction and AMD keeping up the momentum could see us having some really nice options.

Argarth

On the verandah
Linus made me laugh, that was a good video. Great results all round for AMD, including Navi in the Power/$$ stakes. I'll be hanging on to my 2700X though, and see what comes down the pipe next year or two. If I was building a new system today though, wow, I'd be all over that 3900X.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
newegg has x570 boards starting at $155 all the way up to $700

Microcenter is offering and additional $50 off for combo purchases of CPU and 5700/5700XT or $50 off for CPU/x570 mobo bundles. Was told this is good for at least a week.

They also sold out of 3900Xs within 5 minuts of opening, and they did not expect to have 3800Xs until tomorrow (didn't sound definite).

I bought some 3600/CL16 B-die and left while I wait for news on 3800Xs. I might hold out until August to see if there is some bundling with a CPU and a non-reference 5700XT. A good problem, I guess.

Also, the 5700XT, even in reference form, looks to be pretty decent (matches/outperforms 1080ti in some games at 1440p) if it can be had at $400 or less:

Last edited: