Desktop Computers

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The vast majority of people don't buy ultrawide or super-duper-samsung ultrawide. Combined, they account for well under 5% of displays used according to steam. 1920x1080 ownership is still growing, with 2560x1440 crawling into usage, let alone Ultrawides which are just not that popular outside of a very small segment of PC users.

That said, manufacturers are heavily focusing on ultrawides now which will shift things a bit and bring more universal support from developers.
Yeah, I don't doubt that the vast majority of PCs surveyed by Steam are also pretty ancient. But buying new right now? There's no way I'd consider anything else after owning an 21:9 with Freesync. Especially after playing Path of Exile like that I'd never go back to 16:9.... even if I was forced to I'd play it in a 21:9 window just to keep the advantage it gives. Almost all FPS/TPS support it well now too, barring a handful of retarded vert- holdouts like Blizzard.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, I don't doubt that the vast majority of PCs surveyed by Steam are also pretty ancient. But buying new right now? There's no way I'd consider anything else after owning an 21:9 with Freesync. Especially after playing Path of Exile like that I'd never go back to 16:9.... even if I was forced to I'd play it in a 21:9 window just to keep the advantage it gives. Almost all FPS/TPS support it well now too, barring a handful of retarded vert- holdouts like Blizzard.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im still sticking to 1080p with my 2 32" dells because there is no way I want to pay $700-$900 for a video card to run games on 1440 or higher. $400 is about my cutoff for video cards and even that is getting absurd these days. I like my shooter games and frames are key.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Yeah, I have a similar cutoff for GPU (like right now, the 5700XT) and I know a lot of people swear by 144Hz, but I will happily stick with 75Hz Freesync'ed if it means I can have ultrawide.

Crone

For me the monitor was the biggest deal in things I've upgraded. 27 1440 144 really does look damn good.
The monitor looks good, and the extra screen real estate is really awesome, but I'm not like whoa, holy shit that looks so much more amazing!! I think sticking with 27" , 1440p, 60-75hz or whatever they come at would have been fine for me though. Eh, live and learn. What sucks the most is there isn't really a second hand market with this kind of stuff to recoup any cost.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The monitor looks good, and the extra screen real estate is really awesome, but I'm not like whoa, holy shit that looks so much more amazing!! I think sticking with 27" , 1440p, 60-75hz or whatever they come at would have been fine for me though. Eh, live and learn. What sucks the most is there isn't really a second hand market with this kind of stuff to recoup any cost.

I think you just don't realize how good it is because you are accustomed to having solid PC stuff. If you where coming from something truly shitty you'd notice it more. God I use the PC at work and it's a fucking abomination, it makes you appreciate it more. When I upgraded my 2600k gtx 960 to 7700k rtx 2080 I didn't notice a huge difference, except in PUBG. There it was pretty night and day, going from 50 fps at 1080p to over 100 fps at 1440p, plus the general smooth feeling of the game was really big

Crone

I think you just don't realize how good it is because you are accustomed to having solid PC stuff. If you where coming from something truly shitty you'd notice it more. God I use the PC at work and it's a fucking abomination, it makes you appreciate it more. When I upgraded my 2600k gtx 960 to 7700k rtx 2080 I didn't notice a huge difference, except in PUBG. There it was pretty night and day, going from 50 fps at 1080p to over 100 fps at 1440p, plus the general smooth feeling of the game was really big
Yea, probably so. I do use a 1080p 15" laptop for work, and doing shit on that compared to 27" 1440p is like night and day. It's so much better. I think the biggest let down was 144hz and G-sync. Everyone always talked about how it's such a buttery smooth thing, but I haven't played a single game yet where I was like ohhhh fuck yea for G-sync!!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yea, probably so. I do use a 1080p 15" laptop for work, and doing shit on that compared to 27" 1440p is like night and day. It's so much better. I think the biggest let down was 144hz and G-sync. Everyone always talked about how it's such a buttery smooth thing, but I haven't played a single game yet where I was like ohhhh fuck yea for G-sync!!
Yeah, it's one of those things that you don't really notice the quality, you just notice lack of quality.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Everyone always talked about how it's such a buttery smooth thing, but I haven't played a single game yet where I was like ohhhh fuck yea for G-sync!!
Then you probably don't have it set up right...

Playing a game like Overwatch at 60p vs 120 or 144hz is massively noticeable. If you have a powerful enough GPU the GSYNC part doesn't matter because you are consistently capping frames anyway.

Playing Path of Exile at 120hz with ULMB enabled is also very noticeable. Due to how it strobes the frames you can actually read all the text on all the items as you zoom by, there is no text blur even while in motion.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Part of the reason why I dont want to upgrade and stay 1080p and 60hz, chasing that fucking dragon costs $$$$. What I dont see I dont know. If you know what I mean.

Crone

Clearly there's my problem. I don't play shitty games like overwatch and poe.

I joke, but there's a point in there somewhere. I just don't play games that need 144hz. I jack the graphics up , so it's pretty and runs 90 FPS. Or FFXIV, where I'm lowering them a TON so I can maintain some frames when there's massive raids going on.

Although, I do suspect there's a bottleneck somewhere, mainly just paranoia I think. 1080 Ti, and FFXIV was struggling with frames in bigger raids, and my buddies system would get much much more frames on a 1070? Destiny 2, Division 2, Farcry 5, umm.. trying to remember others I played. Basically not a single one could hit 144 FPS. They all looked good, and ran 70+ FPS, but after all the upgrades again, I expected more. Maybe it's fucked up because I have a 1440p 144hz monitor, dual screened with a 1080p 60hz monitor. There are some Win 10 issues with that, I know for sure, when not playing in full screen, but even in full screen my frames didn't sky rocket.

Last edited:

Crone

Yeah my 1070/6700k on FFXIV maintains over 90 in raids on high settings
Yep, I can't do that. I've knocked a bunch of stuff down, and I maintain like 70-80? And it dips below 30 constantly depending on what's happening on screen.

Maybe start with a full wipe and re-install of things. Although I did that sorta recently when I got my Samsung m.2 drive. So it's not like I have years of shit on this computer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stuff like having all that extra headroom, or the worthiness of upgrades really comes down to the eye of the beholder. I did a very similar massive upgrade (actually even way shittier beginning) and it blew my mind. But to each his own. I mean you have a nice TV and shit too, which I just don't.

Crone

Stuff like having all that extra headroom, or the worthiness of upgrades really comes down to the eye of the beholder. I did a very similar massive upgrade (actually even way shittier beginning) and it blew my mind. But to each his own. I mean you have a nice TV and shit too, which I just don't.
Yea, I just wish my computer upgrades were as nice as my TV upgrades. That LG OLED is no fucking joke. It's so tits.

Just ran CC Cleaner, and Malware Bytes outta just a why the fuck not. Cleaned up some stuff, but doubtful it'll actually do anything. Gonna research benchmarks, and see if I can run some and see if I hit in the median.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Part of the reason why I dont want to upgrade and stay 1080p and 60hz, chasing that fucking dragon costs $$$$. What I dont see I dont know. If you know what I mean.
Honestly you dont even need to go 144hz. I went from a 60hz to a 75hz monitor and the difference was huge.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So I need to upgrade my PC from 2011 soon. Probably in the next 3ish months. However, I want to maybe be lazy about it and use one of those custom PC building companies. Which one is most reputable?