Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If I don't jinx myself with this post, it looks like I too will get an extra 600 Mhz outta my R7 1700. Started with trying a setting I found online for 3800Mhz and 1.3 volts. That crashed as soon as Prime95 started, so I just kept dropping it down until Prime95 runs and so far it's been 10 minutes. Gonna let it run for an hour to call it stable though. Stock AMD Wraith air cooler, and temps maxing out at 80C.

My BIOS doesn't have a drop list of voltages to choose from, but I might try dropping the voltage down if 3.6Ghz runs stable. Not sure if it needs 1.3 or not.

Edit: Damn it!! Just shy of the hour mark it crashed. This kinda sucks... not getting shit outta this OC! but could be bad voltages?
just let bios auto overclock and then go back into bios and lower the new oc settings a smidge

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
just let bios auto overclock and then go back into bios and lower the new oc settings a smidge
Mine doesn't have auto over clock. Lol. I have to manually enter a mhz I want, default is 3000 and manually enter in a voltage. Default is 1.18.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Try 1.35v @800MHz and see if it crashes

1.4v is about as high as you realistcally want to go, with the top level 'safe' voltage being 1.45v. 1.45v and beyond is where your CPU starts to degrade much faster over time.

I want to say I do 600MHz @ 1.35v on air. Anything above that and my system starst to shit the bed

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there any reason to use gsync when nvidia cards work with freesync?
Gsync is superior to g-sync compatible freesync displays. Also, only a fraction of the total freesync displays are considered g-sync compatible.

Also has ULMB is part of the G-sync package.

That said, for the extra money you'd spend on a G-sync display in many cases, you could buy a better video card that can hit 100 fps+ whatever size monitor you own, and then you don't have to worry much about adaptive sync at all if you're keeping 90+ frames all the time.

fat12

Trakanon Raider
So I bought a desktop PC from someone whom I work with, and lately, whenever there a big vibration, like I stamped my foot the other day while watching UFC, the computer will just shut off. Any suggestions on the best way to go about troubleshooting this issue?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I bought a desktop PC from someone whom I work with, and lately, whenever there a big vibration, like I stamped my foot the other day while watching UFC, the computer will just shut off. Any suggestions on the best way to go about troubleshooting this issue?
Sounds like a short more than anything. There's probably a small screw or something behind the motherboard or fallen into the PSU, and the bump causes it to make contact with something.

Otherwise, loose ram stick?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Try 1.35v @800MHz and see if it crashes

1.4v is about as high as you realistcally want to go, with the top level 'safe' voltage being 1.45v. 1.45v and beyond is where your CPU starts to degrade much faster over time.

I want to say I do 600MHz @ 1.35v on air. Anything above that and my system starst to shit the bed
Will give this a shot this weekend. Left this morning for another week in a hotel. I do remmeber reading about some hitting 4 &. 4.1ghz but the heat and power draw wasn't worth it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Definitely want to go through it look for loose connections and such. Probably should just pull and reseat everything. It would be a good opportunity to clean it out if it's dusty too.

• 1Like

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Ended up building the below thanks to Prime Day and Newegg competing.

I have not purchased the processor or video card yet...waffling on 1080p vs qHD. Feel like I should get an RX570/80 and let things flesh out a bit more with Navi.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $104.99)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $159.99)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (Purchased For $125.99)
Storage: HP - EX920 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $34.99)
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $76.99)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $64.99)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $59.14)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB (3 pack w/Lighting Node PRO) 47.3 CFM 120 mm Fans (Purchased For $79.99)
Total: $1066.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 19:35 EDT-0400

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Ended up building the below thanks to Prime Day and Newegg competing.

I have not purchased the processor or video card yet...waffling on 1080p vs qHD. Feel like I should get an RX570/80 and let things flesh out a bit more with Navi.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $104.99)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $159.99)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (Purchased For $125.99)
Storage: HP - EX920 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $34.99)
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $76.99)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $64.99)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $59.14)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB (3 pack w/Lighting Node PRO) 47.3 CFM 120 mm Fans (Purchased For $79.99)
Total: $1066.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-15 19:35 EDT-0400

The 3600 is hard to beat. I was going to suggest a 570 mobo but that price for the Taichi is too good to pass up--still, you might want to make sure it can run DDR4 3600 or higher if you want to get into that sweet spot for Infinity Fabric. The 5700XT is definitely great under $400. But I would wait til August when the 5700XT non-reference partner cards come out.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not saying I disagree, but...

Is having 2 monitors retarded?

No, and that's why I think 32:9 is largely a gimmick. You can get the same benefits with dual monitors, along with the ability to use them as separate displays, not have to worry about viewing angles and half a dozen other aspects.

I just don't see the point of it unless someone specifically wants a single display for aesthetic reasons.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
No, and that's why I think 32:9 is largely a gimmick. You can get the same benefits with dual monitors, along with the ability to use them as separate displays, not have to worry about viewing angles and half a dozen other aspects.

I just don't see the point of it unless someone specifically wants a single display for aesthetic reasons.

The only situation I can imagine it being useful, is if you had two dual monitors and one of these that were interchangable. Meaning, if you wanted to casually game, you swing down your dual monitors for videos n such. If you wanted to seriously game, you swing down the big boy, haha.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No, and that's why I think 32:9 is largely a gimmick. You can get the same benefits with dual monitors, along with the ability to use them as separate displays
You can use this as 2 separate displays too. It does limit to 60 hz in dual input mode though.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
32:9 is a retarded aspect ratio.
Change my mind.

As shown before, I have the older version of that monitor. I work from home a few days out of the week on it and then use 2 27"s when I go into work and there has never been a time where I thought "i wish i was doing this on my home monitor." Or even really notice the difference.

On the flip side of that, when I go to lan parties and use my 32" I immediately ask myself what this garbage is because it doesnt give nearly the same satisfaction. Obviously a 32" doesnt equal 2 27s side by side, but I feel even with that setup you wont get the same immersiveness as a single screen.

• 1Solidarity