Desktop Computers

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Whats the best software to use to move my OS to another drive? Old as shit 128gb SSD is starting to throw a bunch of errors and just gonna move the OS to one of my newer SSDs.

Fucker

Log Wizard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I need a suggestion on a decent higher than 60hz refresh 20 something inches monitor. It should not be 4k because I dont give a fuck about that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thinking something like this though 27 is bigger than I intended and there arw probably new tech panels out there much better that I am unaware of.

Mist Mist Help me ObiwanMisty your my only hope.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
3700x came in yesterday. I haven't done too much with it yet, but it's a worthy upgrade.

I had a Ryzen 2600, which always felt lethargic, even compared to my old non-oc'd 4790K. It kind of tripped on its tits on Photoshop and Office 365. No benchmarks, but it was noticeably slower in Office 365 and in some Photoshop filters. It was faster in rendering...but slower in everything else.

I could write a timing script for PS...but seat of the pants, it's easily 2x faster in most cases than the 2600. It's waaaay faster in PS than the 2600 was.

Office 365 feels as performant on the 3700x as it does on Intel's top stuff.

Video encoding is a decent step up. In the same system with the same version of Handbrake, and the same presets, the 2600 got 112.1 average FPS, and the 3700x gets 184.4 average FPS. The 4790K gets 87.5 average FPS. I still have a Core i5 750 in use. It's the box that I put my old patter drives into for weekly backups. It gets 33.5 average FPS.

Games are a wash since I still have a GTX 1070 and a 60 FPS panel. The 3700x far exceeds the abilities of the 1070.

I have no issues, either. I don't overclock or boost or any shit. I plug it in, set to spec, and go.

I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450...a cheapie mainboard. Good Crucial Ballistix 3200...and it all works fine. No BSOD's or other weirdness. It operates like an Intel box in terms of stability.

The stock prism RGB cooler works well enough if you alter the spin up curves for the fan so it doesn't drive you completely fucking nuts spinning up and down every 2s. It still boosts to max speed without calling in the local fire department. People on forums are complaining that it hits 80C with any cooler? HA! My 4790K in stock mode with a twin bank twin fan Noctua will throttle instantly.

I knew this was going to happen, but my $330 upgrade is going to be $1600 when I am all done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If I want to buy a UPS, because I live in Florida, and the power can be erratic with .1 second flashes that reboot my computer, what kind of things should I be looking for? I know fuck all about them, and don't know what makes a good from a bad. I'm just looking for something to stop the power fluctuations to my computer, and that would run silent.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I need a suggestion on a decent higher than 60hz refresh 20 something inches monitor. It should not be 4k because I dont give a fuck about that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thinking something like this though 27 is bigger than I intended and there arw probably new tech panels out there much better that I am unaware of.

Just saw a video with Linus Tech tips, where they did a bunch of different builds, and the budget builds we're using a $90 Acer 75hz , freesync 22" monitor. They were pretty impressed with it for that price.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
We ended up ordering a couple of those Dell's. If it sucks ill return it and check out something else.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I didn't see this post.

What did you buy?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Some gaming or no gaming?
Its only used for gaming and internet browsing. I have a curved 4k OLED across the room for tv and movies.

Keep in my mind right now im only using a Nvidia 970 . I just built the misses a new PC and ill be building a new one a bit later this year. No real interest in trying to buy a card that can run 4k gaming at really high frame rates.