Desktop Computers

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I got a pretty good deal on the 970 pro 2tb so I pulled the trigger. Im impressed but it's nothing groundbreaking that you have to have it. I do notice a difference in speed but it's really not by much in games. Loading the os though is amazing. It's so damn fast.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah games dot really profit from fast HD, its more of a quicker load in games that have a lot of shit to load into ram. But yeah, other than the loading issue, I dont think they provide any other benefits in things like FPS and such. And even then in multiplayer, I find myself the first to load, OK, but then im waiting for the other fuck sticks to load in anyways because they are on dells from 2004.

Siliconemelons

What would be a SINGLE good video card for.... CAD stuff (basic level) AND VR stuff... looking mostly for Oculus Quest + USB-C enhancement.

Looking to get some rigs for a STEM / Innovation lab setup

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
What would be a SINGLE good video card for.... CAD stuff (basic level) AND VR stuff... looking mostly for Oculus Quest + USB-C enhancement.

How much do you want to spend or can you write it off?

99fed6e3f5d215431828efd33029561d.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Here is my cad station at work...

dx1.PNG

dx2.PNG

Last one I had was with the AMD card and I cant tell the difference.

Siliconemelons

~ 2500$ for the computer - looking at getting 4 stations, 4 quests, 4 Samsung 34" Ultrawide Curved Displays for them

The other day I just was tossing crap in a cart on newegg and came out with this:

Intel i7-9700KF 8-Core @ 3.6 GHZ
MSI Pro Z390-A LCA 1151 ATX Motherboard
Corsair RMx 1000w PSU 80plus gold
Patriot Viper Steel 8GB x 4 (32GB)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB DDR6
Sabrent 1TB NVMe 4.0 PCIe M.@ Internal SSD
MasterKeys Lite L Combo RBG Mem-chanical Switches keyboard + high precision optical mouse

we are an "Apple School" so there is a lot of... why not get a mac mini and an eGPU and call it a day?

Siliconemelons

Here is my cad station at work...

View attachment 229214

View attachment 229215

Last one I had was with the AMD card and I cant tell the difference.

Thanks

I was wondering about getting them the "Drafting" or "Pro" line of video card - such as the FirePro or Quadro etc vs. a "Gameing videocard" - and could / wold a quadro etc. work for gaming/VR... the VR application is secondary to its duties with CAD-esque things.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately no. Ive tried gaming on my work PC in the past when we had more freedom and sadly they didnt work that well. Problem is they work on open gl instead of DX12. So their entire driver systems are different.

Now I have worked on CAD at home on my normal PC with a normal Dx card and I could not tell the difference. although more crashes, see below.

Supposedly what I heard from my systems dude is you pay all the cash for those open gl video cards for the stability. So your shit is not crashing and not losing work. THATS the advantage of those cards, not their power since essentially its the same shit as the gaming ones, except, again they run on a different Open GL shit instead of dx.

And honestly CAD does nto take that much graphical power. I need memory, I need processor power, not necessarily graphics.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It would depend on which form of CAD you are doing. Just old fashioned cad or modeling and rendering as you go. And how many objects at once.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh i ran Siemens NX perfectly fine on my home PC, I think I had a Radeon R380 at the time. and I was rendering entire cockpit modules, with 100+ parts perfectly fine, like I was at work, lol. Only thing was the stability. I had to save often because every once in a while it would crash.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
On top of this Intel is just easier. Plug and play. AMD is still janky as fuck.
Ive not had a single problem with my 3700X.

Yes Intel is 5 to 10% faster in certain circumstances. More importantly Intel is a company with reprehensible business practices and should get fucked in the ass at every chance possible. They are the paradigm of how shitty a business will be if they do not have competition to force them to act decently.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Ive not had a single problem with my 3700X.

Yes Intel is 5 to 10% faster in certain circumstances. More importantly Intel is a company with reprehensible business practices and should get fucked in the ass at every chance possible. They are the paradigm of how shitty a business will be if they do not have competition to force them to act decently.

I agree with you, but Intel is a public company, they did what they are supposed to do. There is a larger problem at hand.

• 1Bullshit
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah and part of that is because Intel literally spent a few billion dollars bribing large OEMs 13-14 years ago not to sell AMD CPUs which had a bit of an impact on AMD.

when i sold computers years a go, i'd never direct a customer to an amd machine. It's not that i was a fanboy, it's that ppl know what an "intel" is, if they ask what is this "amd", well lets just say customers are stoopid and you don't want them to ask any questions, just show em what they think they want to buy and thats it.

AMD could have been smarter tho, they could have offer enhanced commission incentives, if you told me a HP AMD for 1k was the same as a HP INTEL 1k, however AMD offered an additional $10 commission incentive on top of the sale? guess what AMD be out of stock.

this why i'd never trust salesmen, cuz of assholes like me back in the day.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This wasnt about people walking into bestbuy wanting to buy an emachines. This was about Dell and HP refusing to sell AMD hardware in the server market because Intel paid them not to.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This wasnt about people walking into bestbuy wanting to buy an emachines. This was about Dell and HP refusing to sell AMD hardware in the server market because Intel paid them not to.
i'm sure the lawsuit extended to desktops, there'd be like 10 HP SKU's with intel pc's and maybe 1 SKU with an AMD proc, we'd actually oooh and ahhh when one came in, cuz it'd be at least $100 to $150 less than the intel SKU w/ the same features, but we'd never sell.