Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Next time I build I'm probably going to build a beast of a machine with a custom loop cooling both cpu and gpu. I'll probably end up using the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic, because it's just a fucking beautiful case. I'll probably even convert to the dark side and RGB the shit out of it (though with a controller that lets me turn it all off).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda hope Origin will put the case for the The Big O for sale. Totally ridiculous over the top but I would entertain the idea of getting one just cause.

big-o-right-wide-angle.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So i don't like to upgrade my computer more often then i have to. More specifically i dislike the idea of spending a bunch of money on a machine that will be comparable to a ps5/xbox for gaming purposes.

So do you guys think this computer should basically last me 3 years or so and interms of being able to play games in 1080p. I already know it should be fine for work.

Ryzen 5 1400
Rx 580
16gb 2400mhz ram.
1tb generic 7200rpm HD
256gb SSD
Crappy 1080p mintor

I got it back in 2017 ad since then i added the SSD and also an extra 8gb ram as they both were very cheap upgrades. overall, i feel it was a pretty good investment at 650+30 ram+20 for SSD so 700 bucks and generally plays everything at very high/Ultra settings right now. Only regret is going with quad core Ryzen instead of 6. But will it be viable playing games in 2021-22? I don't need super quality...

Lowball

Trakanon Raider
I just finished a new build and have to share my experiences with the 5700 xt. Spoiler alert - I wound up going to Micro Center for a 2070 super instead.

I spent a couple days troubleshooting the following setup, all new from Amazon:
3700x
Tomahawk B450 max
2x8gb G-Skill 3600mhz cl16
Sabrent Rocket M.2 1Tb
Gigabyte 5700 xt gaming OC
Corsair cx750m

New windows installation, stock hardware settings. Memtest overnight, prime95 large 3 hours and small overnight, FurMark 3 hours - all passed, no temperature problems. Similarly, no problems when running gpu/cpu benchmarking tools. However, attempting to play any game, including Path of Exile, Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, and more resulted in a sudden system reboot in less than 3 minutes, frequently at points of very low GPU load. Before the games crashed, the FPS and latency read fine, but the actual performance with stuttering and draw bubbles, was not that great.

I tried:
-multiple BIOS version
-verified GPU bios up to date
-adjusting windows power slider
-stress tested power supply with CPU/GPU
-verifying appropriate power settings in BIOS
-disabling any form of overlay or monitoring
-multiple GPU driver versions, each time DDUing in safe mode, ensuring no suggested settings were ever applied
-disabling any default radeon settings beyond baseline driver
-separate pcie cables to each pcie port
-moving to different pcie slot
-limiting GPU boost freq to advertised specs (from the default which was higher?)
-limiting boost freq below advertised specs
-undervolting GPU
-running games with reduced settings, including capped framerates at 30/60
-swapped in my old gtx 1060 3gb, safe mode DDU, clean install, which worked fine in every game
-swapped the 5700 xt to my old i5-2500k - This resulted in FAR worse performance at 1080 than my old 1060, as it appeared the drivers were massively, massively throttling performance for lower resolutions. Turning up the resolution and settings actually increased performance.
-hopes and prayers

This morning I bought a 2070 super from Micro Center, was up and running with no problems in 5 minutes. Verified no problems in any games, very smooth play. Slight buzzing (mechanical?) sound but at least it works. I am sure there are people out there who have 5700 xts without these problems, but I want to add my voice to the list of reports of serious problems. I encourage people who are debating which card to choose to look up the comment history of people defending the 5700 xt - look at what they consider "minor" problems, how long they have to wait for working drivers for new games, look at how much time they spend posting on /r/AMD. And remember your time is money. I could have bought a 2080ti if I was working instead of fiddling with this GPU.

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
I don't know man but this is what I just built about a month ago plays destiny 2, assassin's Creed origins, The Outer worlds all just fine. Had no problems installing anything.

R5 3600
16gb 3200 ddr4
B450 tomahawk
Asus 5700xt strix
Intel 660p 1tb

IMG_20190930_160032.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
My Sapphire 5700XT Pulse is perfect, sounds like you may have gotten a dud. I've gotten dud Nvidia cards too.

Anecdotal is anecdotal.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I just finished a new build and have to share my experiences with the 5700 xt. Spoiler alert - I wound up going to Micro Center for a 2070 super instead.

I spent a couple days troubleshooting the following setup, all new from Amazon:
3700x
Tomahawk B450 max
2x8gb G-Skill 3600mhz cl16
Sabrent Rocket M.2 1Tb
Gigabyte 5700 xt gaming OC
Corsair cx750m

New windows installation, stock hardware settings. Memtest overnight, prime95 large 3 hours and small overnight, FurMark 3 hours - all passed, no temperature problems. Similarly, no problems when running gpu/cpu benchmarking tools. However, attempting to play any game, including Path of Exile, Borderlands 3, Outer Worlds, and more resulted in a sudden system reboot in less than 3 minutes, frequently at points of very low GPU load. Before the games crashed, the FPS and latency read fine, but the actual performance with stuttering and draw bubbles, was not that great.

I tried...

This morning I bought a 2070 super from Micro Center, was up and running with no problems in 5 minutes. Verified no problems in any games, very smooth play. Slight buzzing (mechanical?) sound but at least it works. I am sure there are people out there who have 5700 xts without these problems, but I want to add my voice to the list of reports of serious problems. I encourage people who are debating which card to choose to look up the comment history of people defending the 5700 xt - look at what they consider "minor" problems, how long they have to wait for working drivers for new games, look at how much time they spend posting on /r/AMD. And remember your time is money. I could have bought a 2080ti if I was working instead of fiddling with this GPU.

That's some pretty extreme failure, more than the typical complaint. I would chalk it up to a dud (or maybe Gigabyte) too. Everyone knows you buy Sapphire or PowerColor for AMD GPUs!

I'm not knocking your decision to go with Nvidia for reliable performance, btw (I did the same), but I would poke around the Microcenter for a EVGA 2080 or open box EVGA 2080. There is a clearer performance gain with the 2080.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
  • 3Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
FYI

Should use this if you care about minimal driver packages/ease of install

Thx for the heads up.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So i don't like to upgrade my computer more often then i have to. More specifically i dislike the idea of spending a bunch of money on a machine that will be comparable to a ps5/xbox for gaming purposes.

So do you guys think this computer should basically last me 3 years or so and interms of being able to play games in 1080p. I already know it should be fine for work.

Ryzen 5 1400
Rx 580
16gb 2400mhz ram.
1tb generic 7200rpm HD
256gb SSD
Crappy 1080p mintor

I got it back in 2017 ad since then i added the SSD and also an extra 8gb ram as they both were very cheap upgrades. overall, i feel it was a pretty good investment at 650+30 ram+20 for SSD so 700 bucks and generally plays everything at very high/Ultra settings right now. Only regret is going with quad core Ryzen instead of 6. But will it be viable playing games in 2021-22? I don't need super quality...

2700x is rather cheap right now. I built my gf a desktop around that a month or so ago, not sure how you see investing into a PC while saying they will be comparable to a ps5 - just no. Even if they do great 4k they will still have settings leaned back in terms of quality. I guess if you only game at 1080p that is irrelevant but if thats the case your current set up is fine, if your board supports it go to the 2700x for 160? set that platter drive on fire for any 1TB SSD and depending on your gpu can upgrade that and 1080p game for years and years.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This one is interesting. I'm curious how good the airflow actually is though

I like the level 20 design myself, I use the L20 XT at the moment but the Azza Cube finally came and plan to migrate to that or build a 3950x - However i went crazy RGB on mine - main issue in the end was the length of cords i would have needed from everything at front panel to reach the motherboard, in the end i gave up caring about managing the cables beyond some zip ties - im lazy.

A646468F-1A0D-489A-983F-8E89513F2CEE_1_201_a.jpeg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think anyone that thinks the PS5 will be running 4K at 60 fps is smoking some good shit. Like $2000 video cards backed up by $1000 processors cant even do a consistent 4K/60 and you guys think PS5 will magically make that happen for $500-$600? LUL?

• 3Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'd be content with consoles using 1440p - thats such a good sweet spot and hitting 60fps on that is much more likely than 4k60.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean, current consoles, shit even the new xbox one x or whatever, which is touted to be the most powerful console ever still has a hard time delivering 1080p/60.

And the ultimate goal should be 4K, since most TVs sold these days are 4K. But I just think this is still a ways away with even a $5K+ PC having a hard time with 4K still. And in sure they could deliver on 4K/30 or some shit, but even that would be way more expensive than they probably wanna price the consoles at.

Honestly they should just get 1080p right the next gen, have that shit rocking at 60-90+ fps with no slow downs, also I think its time to start shipping these things with an 1tb SSD as well. If they got that right I think no one would complain.

1440p works with PC because PC platform has actual dedicated 1440p monitors, im not sure they should go that way with consoles with TV being native 1080p or upscaled 1080p to 4K.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I like the level 20 design myself, I use the L20 XT at the moment but the Azza Cube finally came and plan to migrate to that or build a 3950x - However i went crazy RGB on mine - main issue in the end was the length of cords i would have needed from everything at front panel to reach the motherboard, in the end i gave up caring about managing the cables beyond some zip ties - im lazy.

View attachment 231003
Yeah I've thought about the level 20 quite a bit. I really like the design, but I have 2 concerns. One, the thing is a fucking monster, it looks so big. Two, is it actually possible to cable manage that thing so that it looks good? lol

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I mean, current consoles, shit even the new xbox one x or whatever, which is touted to be the most powerful console ever still has a hard time delivering 1080p/60.

And the ultimate goal should be 4K, since most TVs sold these days are 4K. But I just think this is still a ways away with even a $5K+ PC having a hard time with 4K still. And in sure they could deliver on 4K/30 or some shit, but even that would be way more expensive than they probably wanna price the consoles at.

Honestly they should just get 1080p right the next gen, have that shit rocking at 60-90+ fps with no slow downs, also I think its time to start shipping these things with an 1tb SSD as well. If they got that right I think no one would complain.

1440p works with PC because PC platform has actual dedicated 1440p monitors, im not sure they should go that way with consoles with TV being native 1080p or upscaled 1080p to 4K.

I’m not sure the One x has a hard time doing 1080p60. Was trying to find a table but it proved more difficult than I thought for spending 2 minutes on Google.... anyways just thinking about recent Digital Foundry videos.

As long as there is a performance mode option locked 1080p60 seemed fine. It when games get in to 4K, 1440p, Dynamic Res, and different scaling methods the results would vary across developer and engine. But there were quite a few very well performing 1440p60 games as well. At least on X. And I’m 100% in favor of that being a well achievable goal next gen.

That really doesn’t add anything to the conversation, but made me want to go look in to more performance trends.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
FYI

Should use this if you care about minimal driver packages/ease of install

Interesting. Mobile Kepler is currently semi-EOL but is supposed to be receiving critical vulnerability updates through 4/2020. These must not be considered critical, because there are no new drivers listed for my laptop.

EDIT: looks like 3 high / 6 medium-level vulns. Great. I love unpatched systems. /s

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Well damn...

Kills Intel on workload stuff. Single thread gaming it ALMOST pulls even at half the price.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users