Desktop Computers

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Can confirm on the AMD vs. Intel front for servers. Literally every order I ever saw from either company I have worked for that dealt heavily in servers there was a 5% chance you'd see a 385/365 or M635/R635 solution (the 5 means it is AMD). The overwhelming majority were powered by Xeon, and both OEMs didn't even bring up the fact they offered AMD server builds during any sales pitch.

They, quite simply, got outspent.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Man I want this!

p1Koxv7.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Isn't it only the cpu and gpu that gets cooled like that? You'd think the rest of the components, ram, capacitors, chipset, would benefit from a case, thus airflow past and around them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Isn't it only the cpu and gpu that gets cooled like that? You'd think the rest of the components, ram, capacitors, chipset, would benefit from a case, thus airflow past and around them.
badly designed "cases" fuck computers up, a few of those "deskputers" where you put the computer in a desk just collected dust bunnies

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It would be a dust magnet and a PITA to maintain, but it wouldn't be so bad as people are making it out to be. A blast or two from compressed air every couple days would be sufficient to keep it from having heating issues. You will still however struggle to keep it clean looking as even small amounts of dust are going to persist and keep it from looking as clean and shiny as that picture.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm

What's yall's thoughts on intel's 9900k? I want the best pc I can reasonably afford with the most threads, more cores = more threads and generally from what I've read k processors are great for hyperthreading. I'm not real keen on AMD anymore but I'd entertain the argument if anyone feels like making it.

Call me a dumbass but I want to build another rig to run a shitload of EQ accounts on an emulator server. I built a 3700k processor machine with 32gb of RAM back in 2012 that I'm still running. I hit the wall with around 45 characters on at once even if the server was empty. I looked at what it would cost to upgade the CPU back around 2015 to really get something capable of running more characters but it was just too much money. I'll probably play a few current games here and there too. Video was never the issue running 40+ characters, I had all the graphics turned down/off with various programs on everything but the character's screen I was viewing (stickfigures for most too). I had enough RAM, it was always CPU maxed out especially once the big fights started with shit like Quarm throwing down massive AEs even if the particle effects were off.

This PC still functions well for everything I'm doing currently but I'd like to see what building another would cost. The ~$400-$500 looks reasonable for the cpu since that's the roadblack to do what I want. I know the video card could cost more. I'm pretty fond of Asus mobos too, not really interested in anything else even if it's a little cheaper unless Asus has gone downhill and some other mobo is much more reliable/better performing.

Thank you for your help.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
First I thought it was an IKEA laundry basket. Interesting with the variable covers. Nice.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They've got a booth and are a sponsor at PDX LAN event that I'm at this weekend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I like the theory behind top down cases, but that thing seems like a nightmare

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I like the theory behind top down cases, but that thing seems like a nightmare
ft02-dimension.jpg

Silverstone FT02. The best I could find when it was released for a quiet, low temp ventilated case. Was 350 usd. Old, weighs a ton, solid workhorse. Newer revisions has USB 3.0, optional side window, better fans, hot swap SATA and stuff.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
ft02-dimension.jpg

Silverstone FT02. The best I could find when it was released for a quiet, low temp ventilated case. Was 350 usd. Old, weighs a ton, solid workhorse. Newer revisions has USB 3.0, optional side window, better fans, hot swap SATA and stuff.

Yeah, I had that case. Was heavy as fuck. I wish they would update it without all the front drive cage stuff for a smaller lighter form factor.

I think it's still in my closet, I'm not sure I got rid of it. I might have though, it was just too fucking heavy lol.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, I had that case. Was heavy as fuck. I wish they would update it without all the front drive cage stuff for a smaller lighter form factor.

I think it's still in my closet, I'm not sure I got rid of it. I might have though, it was just too fucking heavy lol.
maxresdefault.jpg

FT05 - pic from their tradeshow, with a 120mm radiator on exhaust fan is a close contender. But it's not perfect either. Considering it for a new rig.