Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
AMD needs to outright blow intel away for me to want to buy there shit. It's always something with AMD, oh fuck this memory doesn't work, why? Cause you didn't read the spreadsheet users made to be sure. Shit like that makes me never want there shit.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The most amazing thing about that processor is it shows just what binning can do. 4 more cores and a higher cock speed than the 3900X yet it runs cooler and consumes the same power.
AMD needs to outright blow intel away for me to want to buy there shit. It's always something with AMD, oh fuck this memory doesn't work, why? Cause you didn't read the spreadsheet users made to be sure. Shit like that makes me never want there shit.
My 3700X has been insanely stable. Once I stopped playing around with the memory I haven't crashed once.

I don't know what more you want or expect. Unless you absolutely need the 5 to 10% greater performance because you play at 1080p, there is not a single reason to go with Intel now, especially in this age of constant vulnerabilities being disclosed that degrade Intel's performance.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah that proc is amazing. Too bad its like $800 and overkill for 99% home/gaming use.

This. Plus I still just don't want to bother with AMD yet. Maybe after I hear the praises for a year+ on stability/drivers etc...

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My 2700x has been rock solid for 1.5 years and I've thrown a ton of shit at it. I'm to point now where Intel has to blow me away with their new releases, not the other way around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah my kids 3700x is rocking really strong now for like 5 mos. No problems yet. Not even one shut down or reboot or blue screen.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Started the plunge into buying components for my new build. Saw the price drop yesterday and jumped on it. I know this RAM is overkill but whatever. This will also be my PC for my home recording so anything to keep lag there as low as possible is welcome. Now hopefully things drop for Black Friday or Cyber Monday because I'm buying shit up after that regardless. Stoked. My current setup is 5 years old so this will be an astronomical jump in performance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why bring it up in the first place, unless AMD is not known for rock solid stability? Hmmmmmmm.

All processors are prone to crashes/blue screens. This has never been exclusive to AMD. What he's saying is that it has been stable for him since it was purchased, despite the claims that they're shit.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Exactly. I've had processors from both that have shit the bed once or twice while troubleshooting the post-build.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I've thought about the level 20 quite a bit. I really like the design, but I have 2 concerns. One, the thing is a fucking monster, it looks so big. Two, is it actually possible to cable manage that thing so that it looks good? lol

I replaced my Level 20 XT with the Azza Cube 802 today. Originally when i built my 9900k rig i wanted the cube but they had some type of deal with syber/cyberpowerpc for the "syber cube" which is just their Azza Cube reskinned - so unless you had it imported it was hard as shit to find. Well got a notification a few days back that Amazon got some in supply and pulled the trigger instantly, 2 hours later it was sold out again. I just finished the migration but will post a pic tomorrow, i need sleep and fuck this cold weather.

Dam i really want a 3950x but i cant come up with a reason to buy it - i even tried to peddle off my 9900k to my coworker just to need another PC :/

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I replaced my Level 20 XT with the Azza Cube 802 today. Originally when i built my 9900k rig i wanted the cube but they had some type of deal with syber/cyberpowerpc for the "syber cube" which is just their Azza Cube reskinned - so unless you had it imported it was hard as shit to find. Well got a notification a few days back that Amazon got some in supply and pulled the trigger instantly, 2 hours later it was sold out again. I just finished the migration but will post a pic tomorrow, i need sleep and fuck this cold weather.

Dam i really want a 3950x but i cant come up with a reason to buy it - i even tried to peddle off my 9900k to my coworker just to need another PC :/
You'll have to let me know what you think of the cube after a few days. How are thermals etc. I think it's unlikely I get it, but I've done tons of looking at cases lately.

I can kind of justify the 3950x as I still have a 7700k. I'm still probably waiting till something like next May before I build though. We'll see if Intel has a response.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still probably waiting till something like next May before I build though
Ryzen 4000 series should be out around then. If its like Ryzen 1000 > 2000 then it should be 10-15% faster than 3000 series.
We'll see if Intel has a response.
They dont. Their 10nm process which would have been the response to AMD's 7nm 3000 series processors is completely broken. The only thing they will be able to release is a slightly higher clocked 9000 series processor as it will still be on 14nm.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My 1600 has been rock solid OC'ed to 3.7 Ghz all core on stock cooler since July of 2017.

I don't know what more you can ask for out of the first generation of new chips than that.

I was going to upgrade this season to the 3700X, but after looking at all the information I think I'm just going to wait until next years 4000 series announcement and grab one of the 37/38/39xx's when they start to go on super sale.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was going to upgrade this season to the 3700X, but after looking at all the information I think I'm just going to wait until next years 4000 series announcement and grab one of the 37/38/39xx's when they start to go on super sale.

This is exactly what im planning to do. that 3950x is looking sexy as hell even if its overkill for anything I will do, it will be MY OVERKILL.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Ryzen 4000 series should be out around then. If its like Ryzen 1000 > 2000 then it should be 10-15% faster than 3000 series.

They dont. Their 10nm process which would have been the response to AMD's 7nm 3000 series processors is completely broken. The only thing they will be able to release is a slightly higher clocked 9000 series processor as it will still be on 14nm.

Seems to be accurate based on early rumors. Someone on ChipHell said to expect at least an 8% IPC gain (conservatively; optimistically "1x%"), and the engineering samples are supposedly running at 100-200 Mhz (2.5-6%) above Zen 2 already = 10.5-14% overall IPS increase.

Unlike Zen+, this is both a moderate architecture revision and a process optimization (7nm -->7nm+.) AMD is turning the screw hard while they have the chance; the Zen design teams leapfrog one another, so you have one team working on Zen 1/3/5, and the other working on 2/4. Intel is a dangerous beast when cornered, and they managed to snipe Jim Keller, so they have a great chip in the pipe; it's just probably 3-4 years down the road.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone running a Samsung QVO with gaming and can comment on its load speeds versus a PRO or EVO? Looking like the 1TB QVO version may be discounted as low as a 512GB EVO for Black Friday so wondering if it's noticeable performance-wise.