Desktop Computers

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So my monitor decided to bust on me. I mean it works with HDMI just not the display port. It was an Acer I bought in 2018 for the 144hz features. I tested it with a secondary DP cable and it still did not display anything.

It does work with HDMI cable on my work laptop though...

Am I forgetting to check anything here? My PC detects the monitor and goes into dual display mode when I try to use it. The monitor itself just gets no signal. This is the same when it is the only monitor plugged into the PC. It has no issue with the work laptop though like I said.

Oldbased

> Than U
Yeah dude, overkill city. You build your own to save cash, not to make a Origin PC clone. And also 2 monitors is a must. I usedd to think the same way until I got my second. Like right now im watching Expanse on one, and typing shit on the other here. Even better when you play games.
Also I went 3800x because not only binning and the small extra cost but because the 3700x is outer worlds OR borderlands 3 while the 3800x is both. Free games I didn't own.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
A Noctua will perform better than most AIO coolers - I've used both for years on diff PCs and the Noctua has always outperformed. Kinda rape on those SSDs, tho i found most of my SN750s on sale.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So my monitor decided to bust on me. I mean it works with HDMI just not the display port. It was an Acer I bought in 2018 for the 144hz features. I tested it with a secondary DP cable and it still did not display anything.

It does work with HDMI cable on my work laptop though...

Am I forgetting to check anything here? My PC detects the monitor and goes into dual display mode when I try to use it. The monitor itself just gets no signal. This is the same when it is the only monitor plugged into the PC. It has no issue with the work laptop though like I said.

Try another DP port on the card or mobo igpu port if it has DP?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Try another DP port on the card or mobo igpu port if it has DP?

Did that. No dice.

Last thing I'm going to test. Is getting an adapter for the DP so I can use it with a work laptop. if that works I guess it's the card or something but the card is not even 6 months old. That and it literally worked on Sunday. I just woke up and it didn't work anymore. but the issue is that like it will act as if there are two monitors so I don't think it's the card either.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Try fucking around with lower resolutions and refresh rates. Other than that, I'd assume either the dp port on the monitor or card went bad. Try testing on a friend's or older pc to confirm

Yeah I don't really have that option. I can't seem to access the menu on the monitor or anything either.

Dumb question but when I have two monitors plugged in. With no signal on one and all of the desktop stuff on the one that doesn't work how do I get all the windows and s*** to appear the second monitor? Really painful to try to fill with settings when I can't even get to the windows.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah I don't really have that option. I can't seem to access the menu on the monitor or anything either.

Dumb question but when I have two monitors plugged in. With no signal on one and all of the desktop stuff on the one that doesn't work how do I get all the windows and s*** to appear the second monitor? Really painful to try to fill with settings when I can't even get to the windows.

Have the window in focus and use Win + Shift + Appropriate Arrow Key

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If Windows believes there's another display and is putting windows over there, there's no reason why the shortcut wouldn't work. Do you have the windows key disabled via a lock key or something?

No it works for locking the screen and everything. How can I focus the windows or anything though? I can't get to any of them. Getting the task bar over to the other side would also be fine. But it creates everything on the black display as it beliefs that to be primary. But I can't even open display settings and change that when it is connected.

God damn I despise fighting with stupid shit like this.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
No it works for locking the screen and everything. How can I focus the windows or anything though? I can't get to any of them. Getting the task bar over to the other side would also be fine. But it creates everything on the black display as it beliefs that to be primary. But I can't even open display settings and change that when it is connected.

For using the shortcut you'd just have to bring them into focus blindly via alt-tabbing.

You can change which monitor is primary via the display settings, though it might not remember it later.

Disabling the bad display will bring everything back to your main monitor. If you then shut down while they're on that display, they should remember that that is the display they're supposed to be on even if you reconnect the other monitor, though this has always been iffy for me.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For using the shortcut you'd just have to bring them into focus blindly via alt-tabbing.

You can change which monitor is primary via the display settings, though it might not remember it later.

Disabling the bad display will bring everything back to your main monitor. If you then shut down while they're on that display, they should remember that that is the display they're supposed to be on even if you reconnect the other monitor, though this has always been iffy for me.

We'll see what happens. I am this close to just buying a new monitor for myself for Xmas. I've never had such an issue before.

Janx

<Silver Donator>

Use the taskbar. Mouse over the icon until the preview pops up, right click and "Move", use an arrow key to start the move and you can either continue to use the arrows or switch to using a mouse. Gotta use arrow keys to imitate moving prior to moving with mouse.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Use the taskbar. Mouse over the icon until the preview pops up, right click and "Move", use an arrow key to start the move and you can either continue to use the arrows or switch to using a mouse. Gotta use arrow keys to imitate moving prior to moving with mouse.

I can't even see the taskbar with two mons connected as one is detected but is just a black screen. This is part of the problem.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What's the issue with just using its HDMI connection?

My PC is running a RX Vega and it uses the DP for the sole purpose of being able to get the high refresh rate on the monitor.

1576770684655.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I can't even see the taskbar with two mons connected as one is detected but is just a black screen. This is part of the problem.
Ah I have my monitors configured to show taskbar on all monitors.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user