Desktop Computers

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I bought a used 3.2 GHz P4 off of Ebay for $10 to replace the 2.2 GHz P4 that was in it. It was my old loft PC, and I have no idea why I've kept it so long. It has been sitting for a decade. I have a few other old things...including two, count 'em TWO Voodoo 2 cards. I plugged one in and the PSU promptly shat itself. New PSU and the PC is once again happy.

Why? Shits and giggles. I grabbed 4 GB of PC800 ram for $10.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA...such extravagance!

Laugh all you want, but can you add 50% to CPU power and double your ram today for only $20? I think not! I truly possess the wisdom of the ages.
Can I come over and use your cpu to cook my dinner with? Is there a way to turn down a heat a tad though? I don’t want to burn my pizza rolls.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Thinking of building a new desktop as a birthday present to myself.

I haven't really bothered paying attention to anything the past 10 years. Hepl

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Thinking of building a new desktop as a birthday present to myself.

I haven't really bothered paying attention to anything the past 10 years. Hepl

These kind of questions really need qualifiers. What are you willing to spend, reusing anything, peripherals?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
These kind of questions really need qualifiers. What are you willing to spend, reusing anything, peripherals?
I'd like to keep it under 2kish, have it run most games in the nearish future. Also monitor recommendations are appreciated, I already habe 1 decent one I'll keep using.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'd like to keep it under 2kish, have it run most games in the nearish future. Also monitor recommendations are appreciated, I already habe 1 decent one I'll keep using.

Sounds like you can build a copy of the computer I just built.

Ryzen 3800x
EVGA RTX 2070 Super
MSI x570 Edge mobo
EVGA SuperNova 750W PSU

I also got a Noctua cooler for the CPU since I heard the stock one is rather loud.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Sounds like you can build a copy of the computer I just built.

Ryzen 3800x
EVGA RTX 2070 Super
MSI x570 Edge mobo
EVGA SuperNova 750W PSU

I also got a Noctua cooler for the CPU since I heard the stock one is rather loud.
Nice. Seems close to what I had in my car already. What kind of noctua? There's a few I'm seeing and some pretty huge and ridiculous looking ones

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nice. Seems close to what I had in my car already. What kind of noctua? There's a few I'm seeing and some pretty huge and ridiculous looking ones

It's a huge and ridiculous one. But very effective!

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Just remember that when buying a big heatsink, always check the measurements of your case. Both the height and ram clearance specifically. Some heatsink makers (Noctua included) make models that are more compatible if needed.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just remember that when buying a big heatsink, always check the measurements of your case. Both the height and ram clearance specifically. Some heatsink makers (Noctua included) make models that are more compatible if needed.
Any case recommendations would be appreciated. I'm not flashy or cool like Brahma Brahma though.

Now I'm just comparing prices between amazon and newegg. Looks like amazon will save me ~100 plus cans back with my amazon card

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any case recommendations would be appreciated. I'm not flashy or cool like Brahma Brahma though.

Now I'm just comparing prices between amazon and newegg. Looks like amazon will save me ~100 plus cans back with my amazon card

It's been a couple years since I last looked at cases in-depth, so I don't have any suggestions. This might help though. GN focuses on the important aspects of cases instead of the marketing BS, and anything they recommend would be a good general choice.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's been a couple years since I last looked at cases in-depth, so I don't have any suggestions. This might help though. GN focuses on the important aspects of cases instead of the marketing BS, and anything they recommend would be a good general choice.

Thanks.

Just under 2k with a new monitor and keyboard.

What's all this hufflepuff about cheap windows keys?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wife got me a new computer today...any recommendations for upgrades?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DIGITALSTORM-PC
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model MS-7B51
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1.70, 8/8/2019
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B51)
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
User Name DIGITALSTORM-PC\
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.0 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
5700XT or 2070 or better gpu to go with that processor.
Only Intel worth buying right now is the 9900K. Games in the next 2-3 years are going to really start loving cores/threads as the next PS/Xbox will basically have a Ryzen 3700X in it. Anything will less than 8c/16t will likely start running into performance issues then.

You really cant go wrong with a 3700X(or 3800X if you can find it within $10-20 of a 3700X). If you can pair a 9900K with a 2080 or 2080ti and a 144mhz monitor then that will be the best gaming experience. If a 2080 or 2080ti isnt in the budget I wouldnt go with the 9900K as you are going to be wasting its performance and so your money.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Never mind, my wife didn't like the idea of me spending 2k on a pc. I guess she gets the new windows she wants :(

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1WTF
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Deciding on building a PC with a christmas bonus.. wondering opinions on the CPU's with Intel vs AMD from this forums standpoint. If I just need to go back and scroll through, then shame me that direction; i'll read it in a minute.. Still doing family shit til the new year.

I mostly am looking at prob 144hz IPS 2k monitor, and doing FPS at that 144hz(maybe 165hz, idk; 24toomuch hz is a no-go).. for a baseline, and as for what I do, I mostly focus on Autodesk with Fusion 360 and Meshmixer, might move into other programs over the course of a few months.. Illustrator work doesn't really bogdown my current PC, so it is a non-issue but Premiere eats my shit up.. so having a hefty processing speed might be ideal. I'll be salvaging my 1070 from my current PC, which is being throttled in most cases by my i5 haswell.

I usually went Intel in the past, but AMD seems to be killing it. I just always liked the out of the box, and less problems in the future Intel.. but idk anymore.