Desktop Computers

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Deciding on building a PC with a christmas bonus.. wondering opinions on the CPU's with Intel vs AMD from this forums standpoint. If I just need to go back and scroll through, then shame me that direction; i'll read it in a minute.. Still doing family shit til the new year.

I mostly am looking at prob 144hz IPS 2k monitor, and doing FPS at that 144hz(maybe 165hz, idk; 24toomuch hz is a no-go).. for a baseline, and as for what I do, I mostly focus on Autodesk with Fusion 360 and Meshmixer, might move into other programs over the course of a few months.. Illustrator work doesn't really bogdown my current PC, so it is a non-issue but Premiere eats my shit up.. so having a hefty processing speed might be ideal. I'll be salvaging my 1070 from my current PC, which is being throttled in most cases by my i5 haswell.

I usually went Intel in the past, but AMD seems to be killing it. I just always liked the out of the box, and less problems in the future Intel.. but idk anymore.

Overall, Intel is still at the top of gaming charts. Your other workloads are more benefited by Intel as well. Going with a higher core count AMD isn’t going to be a much weaker experience, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
I like my new chassis. A card came in today, and it took me 30 seconds to install it. It takes 23 seconds to add a drive and most of that is spent fiddling with the drive caddy.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I waited a few days before posting this. My new monitor arrived and I wanted to be fair, since right out the box I still hate that the ultra-wide screen monitors have like no vertical. As Dom and Noodles ugly asses point out...My vision is no longer the best. So a 43" ultra-wide is not conducive to large text.. Fuck you both BTW. But I stuck with it a few days.

Amazon product ASIN B07WLG5GJM
Monitor is 3840x1200 VA panel. 4ms GTG, Freesync 120Hz and "HDR". Monitor has zero physical adjustments. But I managed to put some height on it with something I had lying around the house. Colors are Good. Not great.

You always hear about how Freesync/Gsync, low latency and 120Hz make a huge difference. Fuck if dudes aint right. Playing at 4k and 40-50FPS the last few years...then going to fuckin 90FPS with Freesync is like nuts. I am WRECKING fuckin shop in my FPS's. It's a tough call though, because for gaming this size is fantastic. Everything else...not so great. But gaming is my top priority for a new monitor.

Went back to BFBC2 and was laughing at how I am now winning those "shoot 1st" moments. How I am killing shit I am aiming for. Two times now I have been called out for "cheating" and another dude called me on a "BS" kill. The old man still has it! Hekotat Hekotat get your ass on BFBC2 baby!! Brahma's back!

828.jpg
aaaaaa.jpg
Clipboard01aa.jpg
Clipboard01111.jpg
FFFFFF.jpg
fsgsfgsfg.jpg
gggg.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So I waited a few days before posting this. My new monitor arrived and I wanted to be fair, since right out the box I still hate that the ultra-wide screen monitors have like no vertical. As Dom and Noodles ugly asses point out...My vision is no longer the best. So a 43" ultra-wide is not conducive to large text.. Fuck you both BTW. But I stuck with it a few days.

Monitor is 3840x1200 VA panel. 4ms GTG, Freesync 120Hz and "HDR". Monitor has zero physical adjustments. But I managed to put some height on it with something I had lying around the house. Colors are Good. Not great.

You always hear about how Freesync/Gsync, low latency and 120Hz make a huge difference. Fuck if dudes aint right. Playing at 4k and 40-50FPS the last few years...then going to fuckin 90FPS with Freesync is like nuts. I am WRECKING fuckin shop in my FPS's. It's a tough call though, because for gaming this size is fantastic. Everything else...not so great. But gaming is my top priority for a new monitor.

Went back to BFBC2 and was laughing at how I am now winning those "shoot 1st" moments. How I am killing shit I am aiming for. Two times now I have been called out for "cheating" and another dude called me on a "BS" kill. The old man still has it! Hekotat Hekotat get your ass on BFBC2 baby!! Brahma's back!

View attachment 239807View attachment 239808View attachment 239809View attachment 239810View attachment 239811View attachment 239812View attachment 239813

That is VESA compatible so you can get a monitor mount for it if you want better position adjustment options

Fucker

Log Wizard

View attachment 239807View attachment 239808View attachment 239809View attachment 239810View attachment 239811View attachment 239812View attachment 239813

That's pretty cool. My ISP has bad latency so nothing would help on my end. 100 ms latency on average means I lose every battle of reflexes.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Overall, Intel is still at the top of gaming charts. Your other workloads are more benefited by Intel as well. Going with a higher core count AMD isn’t going to be a much weaker experience, though.
Looking at pass the mark,

Ryzen 3900x(31k) is 500, while the i9 10980xe(32k) that edges it out but at 950. Next closest in price ranges is a i9 10920x(25k) at 700$.. then it just goes down from there. I know i'm probably pulling hairs, and intel is still prob the best bet.. from my experience amd doesn't seem to keep the life expectancy and/or prone to more problems?? idk. I'm just entirely too cautious walking into a new build.

Is there any newnew on the horizons to look out at or wait for?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Looking at pass the mark,

Ryzen 3900x(31k) is 500, while the i9 10980xe(32k) that edges it out but at 950. Next closest in price ranges is a i9 10920x(25k) at 700$.. then it just goes down from there. I know i'm probably pulling hairs, and intel is still prob the best bet.. from my experience amd doesn't seem to keep the life expectancy and/or prone to more problems?? idk. I'm just entirely too cautious walking into a new build.

Is there any newnew on the horizons to look out at or wait for?
Next gen Ryzen in like May

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I can't picture myself buying another Intel CPU after all the security vulnerability clusterfucks they've had the past few years. Shit started right after I bought my 8700k as well. Ryzen has closed the gap enough when it comes to gaming for me to be happy with one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

Do you wear glasses/contacts? I don't think I could do that.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

GD that looks aweosme!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Funny...This arrived today. Thought I had cancelled it. Very dark picture. Not nearly as good as the Acer picture quality wise. Like not even close. Washed out colors for the most part. But it has the vertical I want. But the aspect ratio...You REALLY notice the difference.

You can tell why it costs half as much as the Acer. Wouldn't recommend even as an entry level gaming monitor.

100Hz. 3440x1440 LED Panel. 35". No HDR. Not sure what the overdrive is for. Can't find a thing on the response times.

So now I think I'm going to snag the LG 38". Give that a shot.

Amazon product ASIN B0812DKDD9
910.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I can't picture myself buying another Intel CPU after all the security vulnerability clusterfucks they've had the past few years. Shit started right after I bought my 8700k as well. Ryzen has closed the gap enough when it comes to gaming for me to be happy with one.
Thats another thing too, they just keep coming and each one brings more performance degradation.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My next CPU will be Intel because I want to cause rolling brownouts in the city every time I boot it up.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you ever needed a reason to ditch your older 4c/4t or 4c/8t Intel CPUs, heres all you need;

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Here's me.not fanboying, but just being in the know - a lot of these Intel security bugs they're finding are because they have researchers and academics hitting them with everything imaginable. A lot of these vulnerabilities aren't even a real impact outside of a lab. Trust me, we have to patch their bios/ME when they happen.

I don't know for sure that AMD is getting the same pentesting that Intel is, that's not clear. I wouldn't use this as some reason to not buy Intel (although there are other reasons not to)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Here's me.not fanboying, but just being in the know - a lot of these Intel security bugs they're finding are because they have researchers and academics hitting them with everything imaginable. A lot of these vulnerabilities aren't even a real impact outside of a lab. Trust me, we have to patch their bios/ME when they happen.

I don't know for sure that AMD is getting the same pentesting that Intel is, that's not clear. I wouldn't use this as some reason to not buy Intel (although there are other reasons not to)

The problems existing because of shortcuts they've taken which opened up these vulnerabilities, and the fixes forced on me despite the security issues not really being a danger to me which diminished the capabilities of what I bought are the issue. Buying a high end part for a lot of money only for it to receive several downgrades within a year is bullshit.