Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Security is a bigger industry than ever, it'll happen. With AMD too, and if it doesn't then I'd be worried.

From my limited understanding of what all of the vulnerabilities were about, the major ones happened because of shortcuts Intel took to maximize the performance of an old platform they're trying to eek every little bit out of, at the cost of security steps. So the cpu I bought that advertised and scored certain performance, was only that performance because they took shortcuts, which now I'm paying for as the consumer. I don't care about the actual security aspects of it as they don't apply to my usage, but the fixes that were forced on me for it do affect me.

So anyway, the difference between AMD and Intel in this case is that AMD's vulnerabilities are due to typical hardware vulnerabilities, while Intel's are due to their choices on top of typical hardware vulnerabilities.

Whether any of this is a reasonable complaint or not (it is) doesn't even matter as the whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth that is felt whenever I think of purchasing an intel CPU, and it will most certainly affect my future purchasing decisions on top of the usual variables.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you ever needed a reason to ditch your older 4c/4t or 4c/8t Intel CPUs, heres all you need;

It's going to get even worse with the coming console generation driving a huge push towards utilizing cores. Thankfully Intel is getting on board with their next releases with even the i5's having 6c/12t

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I haven’t had a desktop computer in a few years due to moving across the country. I just finally decided I wanted to get back to having a real computer again instead of using my laptop.

In the past I was all about building my own because it was fun and the value was there, but it seems like if you don’t care about the building part it’s literally cheaper to buy one from a website.

I know this is probably a bit groan worthy and I wouldn’t usually consider it and would have in the past scoffed at it, but I ended up spending all weekend researching components and ended up ordering an Alienware where I tweaked the parts.

Ryzen 7 3700X, RX 5700 XT, 16GB 2933 RAM, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HD, liquid cooled for a hair under $1700. Sales or specials aside, I was seeing anywhere from 1700-1800 to build that myself (I’m sure if you’re really savvy or patient you can beat it, I am not.). Then at least with a Dell you have a decent warranty and whatnot if need be.

In all my years of owning computers I’d never paid attention to getting a real monitor with specs that are good for gaming. So since that is a thing these days, and I really like the idea of ultra wide, I ended up with a MSI MPG341CQR.

I won’t have the computer for a few weeks unfortunately, but look forward to not using my 15” five year old laptop at home anymore!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's going to get even worse with the coming console generation driving a huge push towards utilizing cores. Thankfully Intel is getting on board with their next releases with even the i5's having 6c/12t

Intel is simply too slow, Ryzen 4000 which is supposed to be a redesigned architecture will be out in June/July. All I think this will do is kill their margins and show yet again how much theyve been milking the market over the past 6-7 years.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Next gen ryzen is the first time I'll use AMD. I've tried video cards in the past but always returned them. I've built cpu for others, never myself. We are in the time though, as long as there aren't any huge issues on launch next gen

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I haven’t had a desktop computer in a few years due to moving across the country. I just finally decided I wanted to get back to having a real computer again instead of using my laptop.

In the past I was all about building my own because it was fun and the value was there, but it seems like if you don’t care about the building part it’s literally cheaper to buy one from a website.

I know this is probably a bit groan worthy and I wouldn’t usually consider it and would have in the past scoffed at it, but I ended up spending all weekend researching components and ended up ordering an Alienware where I tweaked the parts.

Ryzen 7 3700X, RX 5700 XT, 16GB 2933 RAM, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HD, liquid cooled for a hair under $1700. Sales or specials aside, I was seeing anywhere from 1700-1800 to build that myself (I’m sure if you’re really savvy or patient you can beat it, I am not.). Then at least with a Dell you have a decent warranty and whatnot if need be.

In all my years of owning computers I’d never paid attention to getting a real monitor with specs that are good for gaming. So since that is a thing these days, and I really like the idea of ultra wide, I ended up with a MSI MPG341CQR.

I won’t have the computer for a few weeks unfortunately, but look forward to not using my 15” five year old laptop at home anymore!
$1700 and didn't include monitor? Shit. Did you use PC part picker website to basically plug in all the parts and see what it came out too? Without seeing full specs, right off the bat I'd say 3700x is good but for $20-30 more go for 3800x. Also 2933 ram? Wtf? For that price you should easily be getting a board that supports higher speeds. Hit at least 3200 speed to take advantage of amds infinity fabric. 3200 is the sweet spot unless something has changed.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

This seems off man. 1700 for that seems a bit high no? That's like a 1200 dollar build. Where you getting this from?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Also I am telling you because I just did this with a new monitor. Holy fuck does it make a difference! Like I'm like in PC gaming heaven with this new monitor. You won't regret it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
This seems off man. 1700 for that seems a bit high no? That's like a 1200 dollar build. Where you getting this from?

I used the part picker site, yeah, but from what I saw it was coming out to 1700-1800. Lemme see again. 😜

It could well be I’m a total retard, I’m not counting that out, but what I paid for it seemed to jive with what the calculator said. *obviously I’m no expert on this stuff to say the least*

Edit:

Just looked at part picker, it spits out $1679.82 which is pretty on point. Since I don't know some of the OEM parts they used I ventured an educated guess.

Part picker can't be that far off, right? At any rate I'm not worried about a few hundred dollars for the sake of having a warranty / not having to build it myself / not waiting for a sale on Slickdeals, etc.

Edit again:

Looking at ibuypower and cyberpowerpc, which I see pop up a lot as popular gaming computer deals, the specs on the computer I bought for $1700 are pretty much on point with these two discount brands for $1700. These always seem to get really good reviews to boot.

I think I'm within a "margin of error" of a couple-few hundred dollars for a prebuilt.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
$1700 and didn't include monitor? Shit. Did you use PC part picker website to basically plug in all the parts and see what it came out too? Without seeing full specs, right off the bat I'd say 3700x is good but for $20-30 more go for 3800x. Also 2933 ram? Wtf? For that price you should easily be getting a board that supports higher speeds. Hit at least 3200 speed to take advantage of amds infinity fabric. 3200 is the sweet spot unless something has changed.

Bearing in mind I haven't built a computer in like 8-10 years...

I read about the memory thing. Realistically how much difference can 3200 vs 2933 make. It can't be much real world. The 3200 was an option.

I don't know enough or care enough to be bleeding edge or whatever. I'm fairly sure this will run whatever for a number of years at high settings.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Also I am telling you because I just did this with a new monitor. Holy fuck does it make a difference! Like I'm like in PC gaming heaven with this new monitor. You won't regret it.

I look forward to trying it as I’ve never played a game on a monitor worth a shit before!

Argarth

On the verandah
Intel is simply too slow, Ryzen 4000 which is supposed to be a redesigned architecture will be out in June/July. All I think this will do is kill their margins and show yet again how much theyve been milking the market over the past 6-7 years.

Really looking forward to Ryzen 4000 (Zen 3) next year as well. They certainly don't appear to be slowing down.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Alienware means Dell which means good warranty and support, so you're not exactly just throwing that extra cost away. You are getting something out of it

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Alienware means Dell which means good warranty and support, so you're not exactly just throwing that extra cost away. You are getting something out of it

True. I don't feel bad at all about the purchase. I don't think it's that far off from anything else value wise.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm surprised you're willing to go down to 75hz after your previous comments on the monitors you tried out

Funny you say that. I tried playing at just a high frame rate with no Free-sync. I also played at 60FPS capped, with Fress-sync on, and Free-sync wins every time. Even in FPS. Not sure why. So I decided to give this a shot anyway.