Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I think end of year is probable still possible but I also see why they wouldn't want to commit to it.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So he's picked out a part list, and that particular CPU Cooler he's adamant about, but does not want to go up to the black version. We're thinking that we can take those fans off the CPU cooler and replace them with these RGB Fans he has picked out - but neither of us know if thats even possible?
Sure but then you;re throwing out some of the quietest fans ever designed that will run flawlessly for years, that are more than half of the actual value of that heatsink, to replace with some kind of crap RGB. Such a poor decision.

Secondly - is there an "bud" headphone w/ microphone option for the computer that'll allow me to use Discord, and still hear sound simultaneously? I want something less obvious at the office that is wireless. Ive looked into blue tooth options, but I'm not sure that it's even an option to have them play sound and use the mic at the same time while using Windows.
Bluetooth headphones are bluetooth headphones. All devices treat them the same ie mic/audio. The generic ones i bought for my phone are also paired to my laptop. Works fine in Discord. Setup push to talk if you don't want your gamer friends to hear your work husband hitting on you.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sure but then you;re throwing out some of the quietest fans ever designed that will run flawlessly for years, that are more than half of the actual value of that heatsink, to replace with some kind of crap RGB. Such a poor decision.

Bluetooth headphones are bluetooth headphones. All devices treat them the same ie mic/audio. The generic ones i bought for my phone are also paired to my laptop. Works fine in Discord. Setup push to talk if you don't want your gamer friends to hear your work husband hitting on you.

I set up Christina's PC with white lights and a white case. The CPU has that infinite mirror thing with white light from NZXT, the front fans are white etc. I'm not the biggest fan of all the rainbow colors in a PC, but Red and White have never bothered me. I bought her a controller that Linus used in one of his builds and all the lights are white. The only part I dont like, is of course the controller cannot change or do anything.. or at least I dont have it wired right, maybe? on the NZXT Cooler. The controller lets me basically turn all of them off, except for that one. It's not world ending, cause it still looks good - but its slightly annoying when we black out the den to watch a movie. In hindsight, I should have just bought her the black version of that cooler. But ya, 20/20 kind of thing.

As far as the headphones - It's not that I care about who can hear my mic on discord or who can hear me in the room. Nothing to do with Push to Talk in other words. (Well, sometimes. Some of you are racist af.) But, just as a personal preference, I would rather it not silence the computer audio just for me to speak. It's all in an effort to let me play games when Im bored at work and it not be super obvious to customers. But yea, work husband and all that juvenile shit.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My new build wont happen till 3080ti and DDR5 is avail for consumer, i may do a partial change when new Ryzen comes out but id like to do a complete build.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I think the Nvidia 3000 series will come out this year. Its now been going on over 2 years since the launch of the 2000 series.

Ill be upgrading to a 3080 or 3080 ti since Im still using a 980 ti myself. Maybe whatever AMD releases if they really pull something out of their hat.
DDR5 is avail for consumer,
Youll be waiting til 2022 then.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I think the Nvidia 3000 series will come out this year. Its now been going on over 2 years since the launch of the 2000 series.

Ill be upgrading to a 3080 or 3080 ti since Im still using a 980 ti myself. Maybe whatever AMD releases if they really pull something out of their hat.

Youll be waiting til 2022 then.

I have patience! (very little!)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't think DDR5 is that close let alone anything even remotely worth buying at a cost/performance perspective

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Moderate grain of salt; this guy does have a good track record of Samsung leaks; his most recent leak for AMD collaborating with Samsung on their Exynos GPU was also correct.

Keep in mind this is just IPC, and any increase in clock from 7nm process improvements will also improve IPS/overall performance, so we may be looking at greater than a 20% improvement.

zpb6k1rxwqy41.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I personally think Cyber Punk 2077 will probably be the game that forces me to upgrade my own personal rig. Doesnt come out till September, so I've got plenty of time for the 2080's to come down in price, or.. if the 3000 gen comes out and I can see where it's as large an upgrade as the "leak" says, then I might spend the extra money. Sort of like Lacius, I rarely play games that push my current rig really far.

Couple unrelated questions:
Can you swap out the fans on the nh-u12a? I built Christina's PC from that last build we came up with on here, and then the neighbors came over at the beginning of the week for dinner and asked me a billion questions about that PC. Now.. He's paying me to build a PC for $80. I told him at least half a dozen times that I'm probably not the person to do it, but he insists. So he's picked out a part list, and that particular CPU Cooler he's adamant about, but does not want to go up to the black version. We're thinking that we can take those fans off the CPU cooler and replace them with these RGB Fans he has picked out - but neither of us know if thats even possible?

81JXXmBCaUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Secondly - is there an "bud" headphone w/ microphone option for the computer that'll allow me to use Discord, and still hear sound simultaneously? I want something less obvious at the office that is wireless. Ive looked into blue tooth options, but I'm not sure that it's even an option to have them play sound and use the mic at the same time while using Windows.

They're just clipped on and the fan mounts look to be standard sizes so you can just swap in any fan that is the same size (don't just look at diameter though, the depth is also important). Might be some splitter in there to drive both fans off one mainboard connector but if you can't reuse that even a single fan should work fine, provided you're not using some 200w monster cpu (use the pusher fan only in that case, the one that blows into the cooling fins). I wouldn't because (as said above) you're probably going to pay for it in terms of noise and reliability. Just buy some led strip to hang around the case if they must have their RGB vomit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
3900x being sub $400 @ microcenter makes it hard to wait for 4k series :(

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking for a 4k monitor to use for things like watching movies/shows/streams. Something I can hook up to my laptop, I'm assuming via thunderbolt would be best? Something with VESA mount compatability

Any suggestions?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Zen 3 will be supported on X470 and B450 oficially here from Reddit.

F8cktards at AMD getting overconfident but at least have sense to stick to what they more or less promised and insinuated they would do. Intel needs to drop prices some more to keep AMD under at least some pressure until Intel can release less shitty 10 or 7 nm updates.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking for a 4k monitor to use for things like watching movies/shows/streams. Something I can hook up to my laptop, I'm assuming via thunderbolt would be best? Something with VESA mount compatability

Any suggestions?

Didn't mention size/price so I'd take a look at the 48" LG CXOLED48CXPUB Thunderbolt 3 would be great for it I would think.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here have a Logitech G Pro wireless mouse? My first impression is that I loved it... But I'm not so sure now. I have this issue when using it while browsing and just messing around on my PC that I cannot stop fucking accidentally clicking the right-click button. It's driving me up the fucking wall. It just feels insanely sensitive. Also, I hate whatever material logitech switched to over the last decade to make mice. Once you use their mice for a few days, the plastic material seems to just completely fade and it becomes this super slick plastic surface on the click buttons. I feel like older mice never had that issue?

I loved the idea of the wireless G pro mouse, but now I'm unsure. I love the weight and performance, but those two factors are killing me. So a recommendation for a great mouse would be appreciated (one that hopefully avoids my weird issues lol).

Essentially, what's your favorite mouse? I have large hands and fingertip/claw grip hybrid (idk), not an over exaggerated claw grip like some people use.

Also, has anyone ever used one of these bungie's for wired mice? I had no idea something like this existed.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use a razer bungie and it's great. It's like you have a wireless mouse with zero cord drag. I use a death adder exclusively but upgrading to g pro wireless or BenQ zowie ec series

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Another Vermeer/Zen3 leak: appears that early engineering samples are running at a 4.0 Ghz base/4.6 boost clock on the 8-core; 3.7 base/4.6 boost on the 16 core.

Compare with 3.9 Ghz/4.5 Ghz boost on the 3800x and 3.5 base/4.7 boost on the 3950x. This is an early stepping/engineering sample, so another .1 Ghz or .2 Ghz may be feasible with better stepping/further process optimization.

Additionally, Zen4 is rumored to be codenamed Raphael.

0006553_tmnt-raphael-14_600.jpeg

The cool but rude cpu.

Really curious about the 4700G. Rumored 50% gain (compared to 3400G) on the iGPU clock. 2400G could already handle 1080p pretty well.

Zen 3 will be supported on X470 and B450 oficially here from Reddit.

F8cktards at AMD getting overconfident but at least have sense to stick to what they more or less promised and insinuated they would do. Intel needs to drop prices some more to keep AMD under at least some pressure until Intel can release less shitty 10 or 7 nm updates.

AMD's decision to dump fabrication was just huge.