Desktop Computers

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Gaming Plus from MSI is i believe the worse VRMs on an X570 board. So i would throw that in a dumpster and grab something else. Hell even the B550 Tomahawk would be better and its 179.

Is it worth going for the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master? I do want the system to last for a good while so I don't mind the price on it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Is it worth going for the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master? I do want the system to last for a good while so I don't mind the price on it.
Aorus Master was good all across the board - seems you cant go wrong there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My house is 1500SQFT, so I got the 2000SQFT Netgear. I've always used wifi. I don't have ethernet ports in my house and don't care. I got by with the ATT Gateway for the past 4 years without many complaints.

We have a 2600 sq ft two story house and use WiFi for everything. We had terrible signal until we got one of these setups. They go on sale all the time for anywhere between $50-$150 off. Friend of mine with a ~1400 sq ft single story house bought the two node version rather than three and hasn’t had WiFi problems since.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
We have a 2600 sq ft two story house and use WiFi for everything. We had terrible signal until we got one of these setups. They go on sale all the time for anywhere between $50-$150 off. Friend of mine with a ~1400 sq ft single story house bought the two node version rather than three and hasn’t had WiFi problems since.

To save money and be effective the orbi mesh is equally good - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...i-system-3-pack-white/6373081.p?skuId=6373081

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Hey looking for advice on a new build. I'll be getting a 3080 for it probably when that's out, for now I'll just throw in a 1060. It's mainly for gaming, and the monitor is already bought.

View attachment 290779
Get this power supply instead:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

So do you use these in addition to a router?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So do you use these in addition to a router?

No - it is the router - if it has no ethernet ports then you get a small 4 port switch to do wired connections - if you dont need wired connections then that plugs directly into your modem and bypass networking on the modem and fully use the wifi system. However for 1500 ft no need to spend $400

is good enough.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Besides buying like a new mobo or something is there a way to get around hardware bans? can i just reformat?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No - it is the router - if it has no ethernet ports then you get a small 4 port switch to do wired connections - if you dont need wired connections then that plugs directly into your modem and bypass networking on the modem and fully use the wifi system. However for 1500 ft no need to spend $400

is good enough.

Well the $400 one I linked it the 3 node version which I got for a house 70% larger than his. The 2 node version is $300, and goes on sale for $200-$250 regularly. If that other brand is just as good, go for it TJT TJT . We went with the priciest one while on sale $250 or $300 and got her work to pay for $150 worth since we were both forced to work from home and told them about how we were dropping connection all the time. Hell we may not have needed the three node, I noticed today she unplugged the node in her office so we’ve only been running on two nodes for who knows how long.

The one I linked is so powerful/sensitive you can use it as a house alarm. It’s sensitive enough that when you are away from your home it can detect people walking through the connections to each other lol.

Like Xexx Xexx said though if you want to save $100 and don’t want to wait for the velop sale get the one he linked. I don’t know the difference between the two brands but he’s given me solid advice before so 🤷‍♂️

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Well the $400 one I linked it the 3 node version which I got for a house 70% larger than his. The 2 node version is $300, and goes on sale for $200-$250 regularly. If that other brand is just as good, go for it TJT TJT . We went with the priciest one while on sale $250 or $300 and got her work to pay for $150 worth since we were both forced to work from home and told them about how we were dropping connection all the time. Hell we may not have needed the three node, I noticed today she unplugged the node in her office so we’ve only been running on two nodes for who knows how long.

The one I linked is so powerful/sensitive you can use it as a house alarm. It’s sensitive enough that when you are away from your home it can detect people walking through the connections to each other lol.

Like Xexx Xexx said though if you want to save $100 and don’t want to wait for the velop sale get the one he linked. I don’t know the difference between the two brands but he’s given me solid advice before so 🤷‍♂️
Not all mesh network devices are created equal, and Velop is trash. I've got a 2700sqft house, and I need 4 fucking nodes to cover inside it. I've been checking the networking/routers thread, and am REALLY close to buying an amplifi instead. I'd go Orbi or Eero before Velop if I had the chance to redo the purchase.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not all mesh network devices are created equal, and Velop is trash. I've got a 2700sqft house, and I need 4 fucking nodes to cover inside it. I've been checking the networking/routers thread, and am REALLY close to buying an amplifi instead. I'd go Orbi or Eero before Velop if I had the chance to redo the purchase.
is your house multi level? is that the issue?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

That’s weird mine works great with two and yours sucks with four. I didn’t even include my full basement in my square footage and it works great down there too, with no nodes down there.

I did zero research into the mesh setup options, just a coworker said his worked great. I know four people with them and they all have no WiFi issues after switching.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
is your house multi level? is that the issue?

Mine has three floors with three nodes on two floors. Works on all three just fine. Outdoors for a decent range as well.

Maybe his house has all metal studs and lined with tin foil and it’s fucking up his signal!

Live shot of Ao- Ao- computer room.

4E0803B0-EE29-453D-8611-3335CD8CC4B6.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

I have a 2300sqft and i use the amplify alien and have no issues even with the main unit in the basement.

That aside

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm in the process of putting together a home server that will do Plex streaming, Plex transcoding, seed thousands of torrents, and maybe operate as an e-mail server. Probably run Ubuntu 20.04. Right now the build looks like this:

CaseNode 304
99​
CPUi3-10100t
129​
MotherboardASROCK B460M MITX
95​
RAM16 GB DDR
64​
SSD512GB NVMe
80​
HDDWD Red 12TB
330​
PSUFractal Design Ion+ 560
100​

I should have a cheaper motherboard but the availability is so scarce for the H410 for mini ITX that I had to go to B460 to find anything available. Debating a cheaper PSU as well but I don't want anything that isn't at least semi-modular and that doesn't have a silent mode.

My questions are:

1 - Does anybody have any feedback on the build? I need Intel for the Quick Sync feature which is amazing for transcoding, so don't bother with the AMD shit.
2 - How the hell am I going to transfer my current seeds to a new machine running new torrent software on a new OS? Moving the files is easy enough... but is there a better way to migrate the seeds than manually re-adding the torrents from the trackers? I have ~1100 at the moment so that sounds like hell.