Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you can actually buy a 10100t standalone. I think you have to buy a 10100.

Can't you just wait for a 10-series NUC? Or use a 9-series NUC?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I don't think you can actually buy a 10100t standalone. I think you have to buy a 10100.

Can't you just wait for a 10-series NUC? Or use a 9-series NUC?
You can get it through here, just takes forever:

Having an NUC and a NAS is an option but I'd really prefer the aesthetic of having everything in one box. Although it looks like you can get the U series in the NUCs which would be nice. I need this thing to be literally silent.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Speaking of silent I will have to add some Noctua fans to the build since that case comes with fans that are 3 pin garbage.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
You didn't list a graphics card. Pretty sure for efficient transcoding you will want an NVEC encoder from something like a 1650.

edit: ahh i wasn't familiar with that processor, i see what you;re going for now.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
You didn't list a graphics card. Pretty sure for efficient transcoding you will want an NVEC encoder from something like a 1650.

The Intel CPUs with iGPUs Skylake and beyond are very effective transcoders and should be able to easily handle my transcoding needs easily.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm in the process of putting together a home server that will do Plex streaming, Plex transcoding, seed thousands of torrents, and maybe operate as an e-mail server. Probably run Ubuntu 20.04. Right now the build looks like this:

CaseNode 304
99​
CPUi3-10100t
129​
MotherboardASROCK B460M MITX
95​
RAM16 GB DDR
64​
SSD512GB NVMe
80​
HDDWD Red 12TB
330​
PSUFractal Design Ion+ 560
100​

I should have a cheaper motherboard but the availability is so scarce for the H410 for mini ITX that I had to go to B460 to find anything available. Debating a cheaper PSU as well but I don't want anything that isn't at least semi-modular and that doesn't have a silent mode.

My questions are:

1 - Does anybody have any feedback on the build? I need Intel for the Quick Sync feature which is amazing for transcoding, so don't bother with the AMD shit.
2 - How the hell am I going to transfer my current seeds to a new machine running new torrent software on a new OS? Moving the files is easy enough... but is there a better way to migrate the seeds than manually re-adding the torrents from the trackers? I have ~1100 at the moment so that sounds like hell.
whats the point of nvme, do you cache/temp file before it all happens?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
whats the point of nvme, do you cache/temp file before it all happens?
Yeah Plex does a lot of cacheing assuming you allow it to. Also will chew up a lot of drive space given you enable advanced features like video thumbnail previews.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have this?

HDR 400 ruins that for me @ $1800, would get a Samsung Odyssey G9 or 2 Odyssey G7's

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My main monitor can never be less than 34 inches - the HDR doesnt matter because i have the Asus PG35VQ and ive never used the HDR on it which is HDR1000 so having HDR in general means so little. The Samsung i do want but its temporarily discontinued until they fix its defects.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm in the process of putting together a home server that will do Plex streaming, Plex transcoding, seed thousands of torrents, and maybe operate as an e-mail server. Probably run Ubuntu 20.04. Right now the build looks like this:

CaseNode 304
99​
CPUi3-10100t
129​
MotherboardASROCK B460M MITX
95​
RAM16 GB DDR
64​
SSD512GB NVMe
80​
HDDWD Red 12TB
330​
PSUFractal Design Ion+ 560
100​

I should have a cheaper motherboard but the availability is so scarce for the H410 for mini ITX that I had to go to B460 to find anything available. Debating a cheaper PSU as well but I don't want anything that isn't at least semi-modular and that doesn't have a silent mode.

My questions are:

1 - Does anybody have any feedback on the build? I need Intel for the Quick Sync feature which is amazing for transcoding, so don't bother with the AMD shit.
2 - How the hell am I going to transfer my current seeds to a new machine running new torrent software on a new OS? Moving the files is easy enough... but is there a better way to migrate the seeds than manually re-adding the torrents from the trackers? I have ~1100 at the moment so that sounds like hell.
I just learned about shucking so can knock that 330 down to 180.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seriously considering going with an ultra-widescreen monitor in my next build/setup. What I worry is that without a lot of futzing around I won't be able to have the dual-screen feel. Playing games in ultra-wide doesn't really matter to me? So I'm literally talking myself out of it as I type this? wtf I'm gay.

Brahma Brahma What's your top suggestion for single monitor setups, in ultra-wide. Which one did you end up settling on again?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Seriously considering going with an ultra-widescreen monitor in my next build/setup. What I worry is that without a lot of futzing around I won't be able to have the dual-screen feel. Playing games in ultra-wide doesn't really matter to me? So I'm literally talking myself out of it as I type this? wtf I'm gay.

Brahma Brahma What's your top suggestion for single monitor setups, in ultra-wide. Which one did you end up settling on again?
I think if you're doing Ultra Wide it's largely about setting up regions on the monitor for things to be in. I don't know the correct terminology, but when I've thought about that's how I would do it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Especially if you would go with the Odyssey G9 since it is basically 2 27" monitors in one.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The 38 inch has a much better ratio to use for a single desktop. It is like a 34 inch but taller.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just learned about shucking so can knock that 330 down to 180.
DO NOT considering shuking if youre gonna use the drive for torrents/transcode streaming, whatever.

unless you are sure the shucked drive will be a red, you'll probably get a white.

also most shucked drives will come with 3.3v disability, so you'll either have to pull your 3.3v sata pin or (the better solution) is to put kaplon tape over the 3rd pin

Vipe 100ft 20mm High Temperatur Resistant Tape Anti-heat Polyimide Kapton Tape

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah but i kinda wanted the QLED Samsung but that curve looks super strong, and the QA seems a mess. Oh well i wont pick a monitor till i pick a GPU and i hear about the 3080 and 3080ti but nothing much on the 3090 which is the goal if its a dual gpu card.