Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So it seems I'm better off waiting to update my CPU (Ryzen 2700x) & monitor (32" AOC 1440p) until years end because we should have more options then, right? Ryzen 4xxx should be out and the best 35" UW monitors (LG in particular) have been out for years now. I don't want to blow $1500 upgrading on shit that is about to be updated, but if that stuff doesn't come out until next year due to delays I was thinking to just take the plunge now.
Monitor tech has been upgrading at a slower pace than everything else, but we should see all the other major hardware updated before the end of the year. Video cards from both sides, processors from AMD.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So it seems I'm better off waiting to update my CPU (Ryzen 2700x) & monitor (32" AOC 1440p) until years end because we should have more options then, right? Ryzen 4xxx should be out and the best 35" UW monitors (LG in particular) have been out for years now. I don't want to blow $1500 upgrading on shit that is about to be updated, but if that stuff doesn't come out until next year due to delays I was thinking to just take the plunge now.

A little patience will give you peace of mind later that you made wise choices this go around. I'm definitely upgrading my video card and monitor, but will wait until early next year when all the hype calms down.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
A little patience will give you peace of mind later that you made wise choices this go around. I'm definitely upgrading my video card and monitor, but will wait until early next year when all the hype calms down.

It's so hard bro..... I want all this shiz done for Cyberpunk!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's so hard bro..... I want all this shiz done for Cyberpunk!
4bdcjm.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got my 34'' AOC today. I really like the super wide more than 2 x 24'' for sure. Will take a bit to get used to but gaming on it felt great. I do however need them to fkn release the new GPUs soon as my 1070 GTX did not really like the new screen and the frames dipped quite a lot, at least if I run 1440p. Well I get 60+ fps on the games I play besides HZD which dropped down to 40 fps at 1440p.

Any good suggestions on software to make "zones"? So I can quickly setup 2 programs side by side and not have to fiddle with the size of them every time.

edit: Found out Win10 had that feature allready. Drag program to the right/left.

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You fags are gonna make me get an UW next year

As far as gaming goes. These have been game changing for me:

1. Going from 60 to 120Hz. This by far has changed gaming for me. Can't go back.
2. Gsync/Freesync. Can't go back.
3. Super ultra-wide. I can see me getting a non ultra-wide monitor, BUT I would be kicking and screaming.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Got my 34'' AOC today. I really like the super wide more than 2 x 24'' for sure. Will take a bit to get used to but gaming on it felt great. I do however need them to fkn release the new GPUs soon as my 1070 GTX did not really like the new screen and the frames dipped quite a lot, at least if I run 1440p. Well I get 60+ fps on the games I play besides HZD which dropped down to 40 fps at 1440p.

Any good suggestions on software to make "zones"? So I can quickly setup 2 programs side by side and not have to fiddle with the size of them every time.

edit: Found out Win10 had that feature allready. Drag program to the right/left.

Try this...

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
As far as gaming goes. These have been game changing for me:

1. Going from 60 to 120Hz. This by far has changed gaming for me. Can't go back.
2. Gsync/Freesync. Can't go back.
3. Super ultra-wide. I can see me getting a non ultra-wide monitor, BUT I would be kicking and screaming.
Try this...

Read the first one, was going to reply how you do the second, read the second. Damnit Brahma!

I totally could just buy one today, but honestly I'm waiting for a few things at this point.

1. How good are the new NVidia cards? If I get a 3090ti or whatever they name it, how many pixels can it push?
2. Will something like 4k 144hz actually be viable?
3. Are we going to get better monitor tech? I feel like it kind of lags behind T.V.'s, but maybe with all the shit going on this year that has pushed more work from home type stuff, we see more motivation to do things in the monitor space

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Read the first one, was going to reply how you do the second, read the second. Damnit Brahma!

I totally could just buy one today, but honestly I'm waiting for a few things at this point.

1. How good are the new NVidia cards? If I get a 3090ti or whatever they name it, how many pixels can it push?
2. Will something like 4k 144hz actually be viable?
3. Are we going to get better monitor tech? I feel like it kind of lags behind T.V.'s, but maybe with all the shit going on this year that has pushed more work from home type stuff, we see more motivation to do things in the monitor space

All my personal speculation from articles I've read:

1. A 3090 supposedly 25-30% faster than a 2080ti. I haven't seen anything on 3090ti. Hell that would be the new Titan X probably. What will that run? 2500-3000 bucks?
2. I'd still say yes. Given that a lets say a 2080ti @4K on lets say Tomb Raider or games of that ilk are about 65-80FPS. So maybe a no on Cyberpunk? But driving games, and older games? Yeah, could be. Clearly MOBA's and RTS's will run at 4K @144Hz.
3. 2021 new monitor tech? I personally don't think so. They need to get Oled's down to a reasonable size IMO. Like 43" and below. I don't remember reading anything on that for 2021.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm mostly in agreement with you on those things. But at the same time, while I'm willing to drop on the top end consumer video card, the prices get pretty exponentially higher when looking at the full feature set for monitors. Will we even get UW 4k 144 monitors?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The stats in that link makes the 3090 legit look like what a $1500 card should look, which makes me think it'll be $2000

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The stats in that link makes the 3090 legit look like what a $1500 card should look, which makes me think it'll be $2000
Ya, it's looking pretty likely the 3090 will be a beast and $1500+ and the 3080 will be quite good as well and $1000+. Hope I'm wrong, but I guess if the 3080 is 25%+ > 2080TI.... ah who am I kidding, a grand on a video card seems fucking retarded. Hoping the 3080 will come in around the 2080 pricing but not holding my breath.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Honestly this is getting really fucking retarded. You dipshits need to stop buying nVidias bullshit $1500 GPUs otherwise the 4080ti going to retail for $3k.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I see it this way. Resolutions aren't going up. The ultra wide-screen that I want (Samsung G9) will probably be 90+ FPS with a 3080 @5120x1440. I'm probably done with graphics cards for at least 4 years. And monitors till the G9 dies. I'm OK with spending the loot knowing I'm done for years.