Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I'm planning on grabbing one of the new Ryzens whenever they are available. Is there any reason not to grab an x570 mobo now so I have it on hand whenever that time comes?
There shouldnt be any real difference between 500 and 600 series mobos. Should mainly be a thing for OEMs to sell more mobos.

As far as buying one now, only problem I can think of is the 500 series might not be plug and play with the 5000 series processors. If it requires a bios update you might be sol without a loner processor. But thats all speculation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Well I have a 3090 and someone wants my 3080 and cash for their 3090 - I have no use for my 3080 unless i stuff it in my gf PC but im getting her a 3070 or AMDs offering. So at the moment its either leave it in my test bench and sell it off when i build the actual PC my 3090 will be used for or get a second 3090 and just got ham.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well I have a 3090 and someone wants my 3080 and cash for their 3090 - I have no use for my 3080 unless i stuff it in my gf PC but im getting her a 3070 or AMDs offering. So at the moment its either leave it in my test bench and sell it off when i build the actual PC my 3090 will be used for or get a second 3090 and just got ham.

It's your money, but 3090s in SLI is a massive waste if you don't absolutely need it for some specialized purpose. If you really don't need the 3080 just sell it off while the prices on them are high.

Buying Mist an AC unit would be a better use of your money.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Only use for two 3090s is if you need to do concurrent computations and want to run each on separate card. No SLI.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Only use for two 3090s is if you need to do concurrent computations and want to run each on separate card. No SLI.

This is what I thought as well but evidently you can:

The setup is about the furthest thing from practical – in fact, they describe it as “hideous and terrible” – but it “works perfectly” and for the purpose of feeding our curiosity, it more than suffices.​

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Mounted the GPU vertical today, the temps are not great, not terrible.

Horizontal and my own fan curve and it maxed out at 70C. Vertical with same fan curve and it now went all the way to 76C with average temp 66C but the fans work much harder.

Wanted it to work because of not having to deal with the GPU sag but I think it might get a bit too noisy to keep the temps down.

Will test a few days then return the riser cable if it still sucks.

20201006_171045~2.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Don't really know jack about computers. Is it normal for an AMD 3600 on the cpu-z to show 3600mhz with 36.0 multiplier and go back and forth every few seconds to 4200mhz and 42.0 multipler? I haven't done any overclocking.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Mounted the GPU vertical today, the temps are not great, not terrible.

Horizontal and my own fan curve and it maxed out at 70C. Vertical with same fan curve and it now went all the way to 76C with average temp 66C but the fans work much harder.

Wanted it to work because of not having to deal with the GPU sag but I think it might get a bit too noisy to keep the temps down.

Will test a few days then return the riser cable if it still sucks.

View attachment 308148

You can get a sag brace if you are that worried about it for pretty cheap

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Don't really know jack about computers. Is it normal for an AMD 3600 on the cpu-z to show 3600mhz with 36.0 multiplier and go back and forth every few seconds to 4200mhz and 42.0 multipler? I haven't done any overclocking.
That's normal for AMD's "precision boost" behavior; R5 3600 has a base clock of 3600mhz and boosts to 4200mhz.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can get a sag brace if you are that worried about it for pretty cheap
I used the MSI one that comes with the 3080 but it felt really flimsy. Mounted the sag bracket that comes with the P500a now instead and returned the card horizontal.

The Phanteks one sits on the backside and helps the card with force on the small pieces of metal that sticks through to the back. Not sure how good it is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just got a nzxt 710 for 90bucks
d387f41da4f6b6ab4f035d88562e350b.png

the box is beat up to shit, but the case is pristine

this'll replace my old ass 10yr rocketfish tower case, ha

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
That's normal for AMD's "precision boost" behavior; R5 3600 has a base clock of 3600mhz and boosts to 4200mhz.

Ok thanks. I knew the 3600 was the base. I need to look into the boost and didn't realize it did it constantly every few seconds. Still waiting on a new fan before I do any overclocking.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Whats up with the different memory modules/speeds? I assume that's a mistake

AIO will look nicer. DH-15 runs really quiet though, I like it a lot.
Was screwing around with the memory tool comparing timings and must have misclicked something. I'll be using 32gb g.skill vengence 3600 cl16.

I'm not thrilled with the thermals of the define compact, as it's not a full mesh front, but i really like the compactness of the case. I wish there were more cases that are shortened like this one is by deleting the whole front drive bay area.

Jovec

?
There shouldnt be any real difference between 500 and 600 series mobos. Should mainly be a thing for OEMs to sell more mobos.

As far as buying one now, only problem I can think of is the 500 series might not be plug and play with the 5000 series processors. If it requires a bios update you might be sol without a loner processor. But thats all speculation.

Things I've learned...look for a mobo that has bios flashback abilities, so you can flash a newer bios without a CPU installed.

Anyone looking at a NH-D15 should get a NH-D15S instead. The asymetric design just saves so much headache.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I’d still just wait to see what they actually announce. Pre-buying things besides memory, storage, graphics, seems a bit premature, especially for AMD with their less than stellar launch bios history. I’m planning on upgrading but I want to know it will all actually work before I start spending my dollars-dos.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I’d still just wait to see what they actually announce. Pre-buying things besides memory, storage, graphics, seems a bit premature, especially for AMD with their less than stellar launch bios history. I’m planning on upgrading but I want to know it will all actually work before I start spending my dollars-dos.

That is probably the most prudent way to go. As long as my current desktop doesn't have any more hardware failures I'll hold on and hope we don't get massive hardware shortages after the announcement.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good catch. The one I was eyeballing, X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI (rev. 1.x) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global supports that. If you guys have any other recommendations in the $200 range I'm open to suggestions.
I have the ASUS X570 TUF Gaming mobo and it has bios flashback. I think it was rated A-tier by reddit (there's a big comparison spreadsheet) that I can't find with rankings. This compares all AM4 though

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user