Desktop Computers

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, best non liquid metal (don't want to deal with weird drips), yea?
Yea I think that paste has gotten really good reviews/tests. I used it before I switched case and it worked great. Using some old noctua paste now because the Kryonaut ran out. The smallest syringe is only good for 1 or max 2 applications,

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can see some people needing threadrippers but not sure that's the need for the majority of people here. I have a 3900x and I've never really tapped out all my cores

Jovec

?
I can see some people needing threadrippers but not sure that's the need for the majority of people here. I have a 3900x and I've never really tapped out all my cores
PCIe lanes - but agree that who average users it does not matter.

PCIe 4 should help a bit - I know GN did tests with a 3080 or 3090 PCIe 3.0x16 vs PCIe 4.0x16 and it showed virtually no difference, but they need to run these at x8. Consumer motherboards drop down to x8 once something is installed in the second slot. Comes into play with things like dGPU passthrough and NVMe expansion PCIe cards.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It’s all about them threads. Of course threadripper will have at least 64 but I am content with 32. And yes, no one needs that shit for gaming.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It’s all about them threads. Of course threadripper will have at least 64 but I am content with 32. And yes, no one needs that shit for gaming.
Yeah I figured you probably do heavy computational stuff.

I guess if you're the one guy that wants to SLI 3090S

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
So, first world problems... have a 3090 coming. It's not reasonable to try and mod my case for it to fit the vertical mount for airflow reasons, right?, So should be preparing to retire the AIO and get the Wraith Cooler my 2700X came with?

Pardon the dust/cabling/rgb. This is a View 37. That's a 1080 Ti FE.

1602436225411.png

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The View 37 has a glass wraparound cover, if I had other spots to put it I'd do that, absolutely.

1602439916172.png

Last edited:

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I did testing yesterday with the vertical mounting bracket in the Phanteks P500a case.

With factory fan curve I get this.

Horizontal: 74C with fans spinning at 65-70%.
Vertical: 78C with fans spinning at 86-90%.

That is with mounting it on the intended vertical slots in the case. I know there's some cage you can buy so the card sits further into the case.

For me it was not worth it, fans got really annoying and loud. The MSI 3080 is too thicc. I think the Founders Edition is better for vertical mounting.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
That's gonna happen if you point the intake fans straight at glass.

meStevo meStevo if you're buying $1400 cards just upgrade the case to a O11-XL; also allows 2x 140 mm fans pointing straight into your gpu instead of an upsidown psu pulling air away.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I did testing yesterday with the vertical mounting bracket in the Phanteks P500a case.

With factory fan curve I get this.

Horizontal: 74C with fans spinning at 65-70%.
Vertical: 78C with fans spinning at 86-90%.

That is with mounting it on the intended vertical slots in the case. I know there's some cage you can buy so the card sits further into the case.

For me it was not worth it, fans got really annoying and loud. The MSI 3080 is too thicc. I think the Founders Edition is better for vertical mounting.
take the glass glass off and see how temps fair for science

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So in the end i settled on

5950x
32gb ddr 5100
3090FE
InWin 925 w/ vert mount
3TB 980 Pro
X570 Meg Ace

I wanted to wait on the Odyssey X but seems there is no vert mount for it - i also decided to skip water cooling because....meh - ive literally played on my PC for less than 5 hours a week for a while - still waiting on titles i want to release - not worth it to water cool.