Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks guys. Will probably order this tonight.

Wish they had an option to get a plain ass case....

Yup, I a non RGB guy and had a Fractal Define R5 which is just a sold black monolith. Problem is that airflow wasn't great so I ended up with a Phanteks p500a which isn't RGB, but has a glass door so the lighted logo on my 1080 TI annoys me a bit.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Thanks guys. Will probably order this tonight.

Wish they had an option to get a plain ass case....
IMO, do NOT use adapters, i've had horrible luck with them, instead get dp to hdmi or whatever cables

say no to adapters

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yup, I a non RGB guy and had a Fractal Define R5 which is just a sold black monolith. Problem is that airflow wasn't great so I ended up with a Phanteks p500a which isn't RGB, but has a glass door so the lighted logo on my 1080 TI annoys me a bit.
How about these to go along with it?

and 3x

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I’m looking for cheap desktop pre builds. Is that site Bandwagon good? I’ve never heard of it before but they are using cheaper parts.

My sister in law is using her $300 laptop to try and game on a Intel 620 integrated video card, and wanted to look into a pre built for her but she doesn’t need anything fancy.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Low end gaming, large dataset GIS, some graphics, photogrammetry processing. Only games i really would want to play on pc are RTS.

Ok, so how important are things like color accuracy, viewing angles, response times and the like to you?

My first instinct is instead of 3 cheapass monitors, get 1 good one and 1 cheapass one unless your workflow needs 3 monitors.

The most important question is your budget.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ok, so how important are things like color accuracy, viewing angles, response times and the like to you?

My first instinct is instead of 3 cheapass monitors, get 1 good one and 1 cheapass one unless your workflow needs 3 monitors.

The most important question is your budget.
I'm colorblind, no idea what you mean by viewing angle, and I don't see any reason response time is important. Clarity is probably the most important part.

I use 2 monitors at work and my most used program takes up 2 screens. Always wanted a 3rd for a second program.

I don't really have a max budget in mind, but A high end PC at home isn't high up on the priority list.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm colorblind, no idea what you mean by viewing angle, and I don't see any reason response time is important. Clarity is probably the most important part.

I use 2 monitors at work and my most used program takes up 2 screens. Always wanted a 3rd for a second program.

I don't really have a max budget in mind, but A high end PC at home isn't high up on the priority list.

Viewing angle is how far to one side you can be and still get acceptable visual quality.

You might want to have a look at The 5 Best Budget Gaming Monitors - Winter 2020: Reviews and The 5 Best Budget Monitors - Winter 2020: Reviews

If you want them all mounted on an arm, make sure they have VESA mounts and make sure you get an arm with the size the monitors support.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Low end gaming, large dataset GIS, some graphics, photogrammetry processing. Only games i really would want to play on pc are RTS.
yea those monitors will be shit

go find a nice 27in at 1440p monitor

i'm talking from a productivity standpoint

a 27in at 1440p will allow you to show 53 rows from google sheets

while

a 24in at 1080p will allow you to show 38 rows from google sheets

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks D. I was watching the size, but thought the mounts were universal.

They all adhere to a standard, but they range in size from 100x100 to 400x400 typically.

I agree on a good 1440p monitor for your main one. You'll probably be gaming at 1080p with that video card, but for everything else it will be much better. Also better for the long term when you eventually upgrade.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Got lucky tonight thanks to the Stockdrops discord. I'm a case away and a 12/13-12/16 delivery date from being finished with my build.

ryzen finally!.jpg

Could really use some case suggestions (looking at these right now, no giant cases):

Really loved the Meshify C, but it's just a tad bit small with the 240mm radiator I wanna do up top etc. Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh looked decent, looked at the 4000D Mesh from Corsair as well. Idk, it probably down to the Fractal Meshify 2 (in white) or the p400a. Moving from the old Silverstone Fortress Ft02, which was just an absolute monster.

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got lucky tonight thanks to the Stockdrops discord. I'm a case away and a 12/13-12/16 delivery date from being finished with my build.

View attachment 322086

Could really use some case suggestions (looking at these right now, no giant cases):

Really loved the Meshify C, but it's just a tad bit small with the 240mm radiator I wanna do up top etc. Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh looked decent, looked at the 4000D Mesh from Corsair as well. Idk, it probably down to the Fractal Meshify 2 (in white) or the p400a. Moving from the old Silverstone Fortress Ft02, which was just an absolute monster.
I really like the P500a case. But it is a bit bigger than the P400a I think. Really good space to build in and it has gotten really good reviews on thermals.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

View attachment 322086

i really like the nzxt 710 i got
nzxt_ca_h700w_wb_h700i_matte_white_1395881.jpg

when i was looking at cases, the competitor would be the phanteks 500

you'd probably want the smaller equivalent to the 400, which would be the nzxt 510, but thats all the opinion i can offer. (since i was also looking at the nzxt 510 or the lancool2 to replace my htpc case)

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I have a 510i and a Be Quiet pure base 500dx, 100% would buy the Be Quiet over the 510i every time. The meshify 2 usb ports on the front are 3.0 instead of 3.1 is something to keep in mind.(the type c one is but not the others)

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I really like the P500a case. But it is a bit bigger than the P400a I think. Really good space to build in and it has gotten really good reviews on thermals.

I have the P500a and my only complaint is I wish they had a non glass door variant.

• 1Like