Desktop Computers

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm having the same issue as Adebisi, where Cyberpunk2077 runs like garbage on my current setup. However, I don't honestly know the first thing about most of this shit.

I'm currently running:
AMD FX-8350 8 core 4.20ghz
MSI 970 Gaming mobo
16gb ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
CX750M Power supply

So, probably around 5 year old components? Can anyone help me with a good gaming PC, either prebuilt, or upgrades to my rig, within a budget of like $2000? I have the knowledge to swap parts, but that's about the extent. I have a decent amount of storage right now, one SSD and two large HDs, and an ATX Mid case.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Decided to add a bit of Lian-Li strimer into the mix and changed CPU position like I should have to begin with. I know some of you guys hate the RGB, but I plan on keeping it white most of the time ( I realize this is not white at the minute). Will hide the cords in the lower right corner. The 5800x runs pretty damn hot which is surprising. May have to go without the RGB if that lowers the temp by 20c. I'm running at around 58-60 at idle which seems much hotter than my old chip.

IMG_7253.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Decided to add a bit of Lian-Li strimer into the mix and changed CPU position like I should have to begin with. I know some of you guys hate the RGB, but I plan on keeping it white most of the time ( I realize this is not white at the minute). Will hide the cords in the lower right corner. The 5800x runs pretty damn hot which is surprising. May have to go without the RGB if that lowers the temp by 20c. I'm running at around 58-60 at idle which seems much hotter than my old chip.

View attachment 323058

5000 series runs fairly warm - so thats to be expected

I'm having the same issue as Adebisi, where Cyberpunk2077 runs like garbage on my current setup. However, I don't honestly know the first thing about most of this shit.

I'm currently running:
MSI 970 Gaming mobo
16gb ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
CX750M Power supply

So, probably around 5 year old components? Can anyone help me with a good gaming PC, either prebuilt, or upgrades to my rig, within a budget of like $2000? I have the knowledge to swap parts, but that's about the extent. I have a decent amount of storage right now, one SSD and two large HDs, and an ATX Mid case.

You need to breathe new life into that -

Live near a MC? - https://www.microcenter.com/product/630917/powerspec-g436-gaming-computer

Gaming Instant Ship GX 99105 - Add youre own ram

Likely many other options - can always build your own also

• 1Solidarity

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Some parts similar to mine but unsure why such a huge PSU - I use an 850 with my 3090 and 5950x as much as you put in it you should have just gone custom cooling

I wouldn't do anything under a 1k PSU with a 3090/5950x. Just a personal preference. I didn't include everything in my build there but 850w isn't something I'd personally fuck with. 1600 is definitely over kill, I'll give you that but it's efficient as hell so w/e

Fair point. Might go custom in the future, I haven't done enough research on it yet and I really don't have the patience right now. It's very time consuming and replacing the coolant every 6-12 months doesn't sound exciting.

Jovec

?

Is the biggest issue. Check out this GN 8370 revisit where a new $100 Ryzen 3100 is almost double the performance. If MSRPs were normal, a $100 3100, ~$100 mobo, and $75 of reasonable DDR4 would be a huge boost over your 8350 system and resuse all of your other componnents. Your 1070 would also be running at PCIe 3.0 instead of 2.0 which might help it too.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't do anything under a 1k PSU with a 3090/5950x. Just a personal preference. I didn't include everything in my build there but 850w isn't something I'd personally fuck with. 1600 is definitely over kill, I'll give you that but it's efficient as hell so w/e

Fair point. Might go custom in the future, I haven't done enough research on it yet and I really don't have the patience right now. It's very time consuming and replacing the coolant every 6-12 months doesn't sound exciting.
Don't worry Xexx Xexx was hesitant and timid on the custom loop and now he wants other people to do it too! It's pretty satisfying tbh

Jovec

?
The 5800x runs pretty damn hot which is surprising. May have to go without the RGB if that lowers the temp by 20c. I'm running at around 58-60 at idle which seems much hotter than my old chip.

More likely some bios settings where the mobo is setting high limits/values to boost higher out of the box. I have no 5000 series experience since I haven't been able to get one yet, but in the OS fire off Ryzen Master and look at the limits for PPT, TDC, and EDC. These are the core PBO limits. Also HWinfo to check SVI2 TFN CPU Core Voltage at idle and under load.

• 1Like

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Don't worry Xexx Xexx was hesitant and timid on the custom loop and now he wants other people to do it too! It's pretty satisfying tbh

We'll see in the future. I'm just going to enjoy it for now. My idle temps are a lot better than what others had posted and that's without the better AIO.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Friend of mine is looking at buying this for her son: HP 6300 Professional Desktop Computer 16GB RAM 500GB HDD Windows 10 Home Includes Mouse and Keyboard - Walmart.com

It's right about $250. Is there any comparably priced machine that's a better bang for the buck? I know that's not much money but it's about the right price point I guess.
I guess the question would be, what are they objectively looking to use the computer for? Word processing and school work? Sure that'll work just fine.

If he's looking to do any sort of entertainment, someone posted a prebuilt a few pages back for around $500 that's much better value.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

I will admit I was, and still turn it off as soon as I leave it I worries of what could happen but yeah it is pretty satisfying.

That aside before I changed cases and couldn’t see my PSU wattage use anymore my use never exceeded 590wats of use. I haven’t bothered to OC either and even everything attached I’ve not had a shut down or bsod or anything

also I used a 650wat with 3090 and 3600 for a while too!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
No reason - the games i play i can already hit 4k120 more or less anyways - well outside CP2077

jeydax

Death and Taxes
So you wasted a bunch of time to do a custom loop and didn't OC because... you get enough frames? I'm so confused.

Just run PBO on the 5950x and OC Scanner on the card. Boom done. PBO takes like 10 seconds to do. OC Scanner can take a little time to let it do its thing (like 10 min or so). At least OC it a little, sheesh!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So you wasted a bunch of time to do a custom loop and didn't OC because... you get enough frames? I'm so confused.

Just run PBO on the 5950x and OC Scanner on the card. Boom done. PBO takes like 10 seconds to do. OC Scanner can take a little time to let it do its thing (like 10 min or so). At least OC it a little, sheesh!

Youre terribly confused - i dont upgrade or build because i need the performance - i do it because i want to or want to try something new - i already had a 9900k and 2080ti and wanted to try AMDs new series and water cooling since i had never done it - You can ask slip i bombarded him with questions for weeks before i actually did it just to make sure i did it right - This never had anything to do with an upgrade more than it being a new build - The next build will be when DDR5 is released -

As far as performance - so long as everything can look great on the cx48 im pretty content - Heck im already disappointed there is nothing else to try out right now so ill have to atleast wait a year before i can do anything else.

I wouldnt mind learning to manually tune cpu and mem timings but i also dread having to keep clearing cmos too!

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Youre terribly confused - i dont upgrade or build because i need the performance - i do it because i want to or want to try something new - i already had a 9900k and 2080ti and wanted to try AMDs new series and water cooling since i had never done it - You can ask slip i bombarded him with questions for weeks before i actually did it just to make sure i did it right - This never had anything to do with an upgrade more than it being a new build - The next build will be when DDR5 is released -

As far as performance - so long as everything can look great on the cx48 im pretty content - Heck im already disappointed there is nothing else to try out right now so ill have to atleast wait a year before i can do anything else.

I wouldnt mind learning to manually tune cpu and mem timings but i also dread having to keep clearing cmos too!
The pro move is if your board has a clear cmos header pin, you wire your case reset switch to that.

I’m also water cooling but not doing much overclocking besides pbo2. I have no a/c and my room hits 95-100f in the summer. I’d like my computer to function while i’m cooking alive and seeing as the stock cooler on my 3080 already has it thermal throttling at an ambient of about 65f, I don’t see why putting it under water would be a bad thing.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My MEG ACE does have a reset cmos in the back - i used it when i fiddled with Ryzen Master and it would no longer post :D Once i have time to learn a bit more maybe but until then i have no reason to other than experimenting.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I'm currently running:
MSI 970 Gaming mobo
16gb ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
CX750M Power supply

honestly dawg, it's your cpu, my main/workpc i have at home is the same cpu, just oc'd a bit more but stable.

i have a junkass 570 in there cuz i needed multiple monitor support but it's the amd equivalent of a 1070

i put cybpunk on there and it chugs

my htpc is a ryzn5 2600 oc'd and the same junkass 570 (i couldn't find a damn nvidia card to save my older htpc) and it runs smooth on the same settings.

our cpu is old dude, i know i built mine in 2012, yes w/ 24gb of ram and a videocard to run multiple monitors it's still a great business computer, but it's not meant to run games, heh.

that 1070 is actually a pretty good card even now, considering the nvidia shortage, so really theres not much to salvage if i say you should upgrade the cpu, you'll only be able to salvage case/powersupply and video card.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My MEG ACE does have a reset cmos in the back - i used it when i fiddled with Ryzen Master and it would no longer post :D Once i have time to learn a bit more maybe but until then i have no reason to other than experimenting.
i don't like ryzen master, lemme at that bios

jeydax

Death and Taxes

I guess that is kind of my point. You're not learning anything new about the system (custom loop aside). If all you're doing is just popping in the CPU and hitting load optimized defaults... what's there to learn? I do understand making the build to learn all the water cooling stuff. I'd encourage you to OC the system, take advantage of the work you put into it.

FWIW I did the exact same switch, 9900k + 2080 ti -> 5950x/3090 specifically to learn AMD's way of doing things since it's been 16~ years since I've used their stuff. I knew overclocking Intel's platform like the back of my hand, AMD's way of doing it is so oddly different.

Total side note I love the Dark Hero board. Anytime it doesn't post it'll just restart and automatically put me back where I started and not force me to CMOS.