Desktop Computers

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Still screwing around with my OC, but I've got my Cinebench R20 up to 11230 so far. The DOS on the Dark Hero board is so fucking nice, still setting that up yet.

Really good video for it here...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Might have to make the move to a custom loop and get my 3090 on it.

Cinebench up to 11531(pretty damn good) and Port Royal is OK at 13761

Here's my settings for a start if you're using the Dark Hero with the 5950x (ignore the RAM stuff if you don't have the same/similar sticks):

Extreme Tweaker
Memory Frequency: DDR4-3800
FCLCK Frequency: 1900MHz
Timings set to 14-16-16-36
Command rate locked to 1T
Core Performance Boost: Enabled
DRAM Voltage: 1.475v

Precision Boost Overdrive
Precision Boost Overdrive: Enabled

CPU Core Ratio (per CCX)
Core VID: 1.3
CCX0: 45
CCX1: 45
Dynamic OC Switcher: Enabled
Current Threshold to Switch to OC Mode: 75

Can't to get into it more and screw with each core individually/editing the curve.

Last edited:

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
I guess the question would be, what are they objectively looking to use the computer for? Word processing and school work? Sure that'll work just fine.

If he's looking to do any sort of entertainment, someone posted a prebuilt a few pages back for around $500 that's much better value.
Playing games and streaming video of him playing is what he wants to do with it.

Her son is 13. Kid seems like a pretty dedicated gamer but I suppose between money and how whimsical kids are she doesn't want to spend too much.

Anyone else have a recommendation on an entry level gaming/streaming pc? He already has a monitor and gaming mouse/keyboard - only needs the tower itself.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Put my overkill build together and got it finished up today. Case fans are Noctua chromax swap NF-S12A x 7 and radiator will eventually run in push/pull with NF-F12's (I fucking hate RGB). Still waiting for the Arctic Liquid Freezer to show up, using an old AIO until then.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (Purchased For $800.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($250.00)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $400.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL15 Memory (Purchased For $450.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $250.00)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $450.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $1800.00)
Case: Lian Li O11D XL-X ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $200.00)
Power Supply: Corsair AXi 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $500.00)
Total: $5100.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-13 20:27 EST-0500
Just curious why did you do a 1600W power supply? Did you just pick the most expensive everything? I think you could have gone with a $150 PSU and been fine unless you’re adding a bunch more shit to this later?

Sick build.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just curious why did you do a 1600W power supply? Did you just pick the most expensive everything? I think you could have gone with a $150 PSU and been fine unless you’re adding a bunch more shit to this later?

Sick build.
This comment from PCPicker is great for that PSU

“More powerful than some air-conditioning units and build better than some military-grade electronics.”

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jeydax

Death and Taxes

Sick build.
overkill build

Plus the monitoring capabilities of it are pretty rad, the efficiency is amazing, I could keep yapping... just a dumb overkill. Probably the only part I feel like I overpaid for but it's also the best of the best of the best sir.

lol @ just picking the most expensive everything though. I'd be running SLI 3090 if that were the case.

Cinebench up to 11752 now.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I keep considering a GFX upgrade, but no idea if I'll be bottlenecked elsewhere on my system (or if my powersupply can handle bigger). Is there an easy way to tell, or will it be more of a "Buy it and find out/go do the voltage math"?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I keep considering a GFX upgrade, but no idea if I'll be bottlenecked elsewhere on my system (or if my powersupply can handle bigger). Is there an easy way to tell, or will it be more of a "Buy it and find out/go do the voltage math"?
won't know until yuo say what cpu

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I went with a 10700k. I want a 5600x, but I don't think I want to wait until March to get the pc built. The video card is a PH since I'll just get whatever 30 series card I can get first. Primarily for gaming & home use. I dabble in video editing and audio recording sometimes, but not enough to build around it.

Edit: Ended up ordering it. Just need to find a 3080 sometime soon

Last edited:

Crone

There are bottleneck calculators out there and I ran one just recently to see if my first gen Ryzen 7 1700 would bottleneck a 3090, and it said it wouldn't at all. At 1440p gaming, it was like 2% score? I'm not sure how that's possible, but yea.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Whyyyyy would you use a 1700 with a 3090?
Right? That's almost as stupid as building a 5950x/3090 build with a custom loop and not OC'ing it. Or Doing a similar build with a $500 PSU but not doing a custom loop/LN2 cooling to max out the power draw. Some people, I tell ya.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
has anyone used rufus to make a windows iso and put it on a usb? when it was done it gave me this message and i have no clue what it means i usually install from a cd

you have created a media that uses uefi:ntfs bootloader, to boot this media turn off secure boot

how would i go about this?

do i need to put the iso on the usb or the actual setup.exe?

does it matter if i reformat from usb or just using the setup.exe from my PC and do it that way?

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
has anyone used rufus to make a windows iso and put it on a usb? when it was done it gave me this message and i have no clue what it means i usually install from a cd

you have created a media that uses uefi:ntfs bootloader, to boot this media turn off secure boot

does it matter if i reformat from usb or just using the setup.exe from my PC and do it that way?

You don't need rufus, just google. If you used that you'd quickly learn that you can create installation media very easily. Create installation media for Windows

• 1Like

sukik

Secure boot just means trusted in this case.

You'd need to go into the bios and turn it off for the boot process. It's probably not worth the hassle if all you want to install is home or pro, and the media creation tool will suffice.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Unless you have an actual issue using the USB to boot into Windows setup I wouldn't change anything.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>

Please just use the Windows Media Creation tool to download and install via USB. Then change boot order through BIOS to USB to start the install. No other easier way imho.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Please just use the Windows Media Creation tool to download and install via USB. Then change boot order through BIOS to USB to start the install. No other easier way imho.
also make sure you do it on a usb3 stick and use the usb3 port