Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1608508598592.png

Different case this time. Looking to RGB the shit out of the fans, but I'm having some confusion around the pin type. I see A(Addressable)RGB and RGB, which is 3 or 4 pin? The case above that I'm giving my son is an Antec 900, with just regular fan connections. It's old, but can I still plug in RGB?

Edit: This is the picture I saw on Amazon that got me second guessing.

1608509883611.png

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
RGB is gonna all be determined by the motherboard and has nothing to do with the case. The case only determines what size fans can fit in it, 120mm 140mm etc etc. They are talking about the fans it comes with as far as pins goes

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 324496

Different case this time. Looking to RGB the shit out of the fans, but I'm having some confusion around the pin type. I see A(Addressable)RGB and RGB, which is 3 or 4 pin? The case above that I'm giving my son is an Antec 900, with just regular fan connections. It's old, but can I still plug in RGB?

Edit: This is the picture I saw on Amazon that got me second guessing.

View attachment 324497
i explained it to my friend

RGB is dumb lights

ARGB is smart lights and you can go bling bling disco

if you have a mboard with ARGB headers and you buy ARGB strip lighting, have fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So, got my last two pieces for my new build. Excited to get it going tonight, so I began to take off the tempered glass siding to the Fractal Meshify C, and that shit just shatters in my hand...

Bit of a turn off, not sure why we can't just use the plexiglass shit all the old cases used to use...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?
RGB is gonna all be determined by the motherboard and has nothing to do with the case. The case only determines what size fans can fit in it, 120mm 140mm etc etc. They are talking about the fans it comes with as far as pins goes
Generally correct, but some cases have built-in RGB elements. Usually there will be some sort of RGB controller built into the case to cycle colors and patterns, with one mode designed to sync with the mobo/software.

Addressable RGB (5v) is the better RGB. It allows for individual control of each LED - i.e. on a strip of 10 leds each one can be a different color at the same time. This allows for "in-motion" effects. The 12v RGB headers cannot do that - colors change, but every LED must be the same color at any given time. You cannot plug in a 5v ARGB fan/strip into the 12V header without doing damage. And vice-versa. I beleve Gigagyte had/has their own ARGB connector which differs from Asus and MSI (the 5v 3 pin red X in the above pic). It might be old.

Some RGB kits also come with a dedicated controller, which is useful for adding RGB elements to a system without RGB headers on the mobo. They will be powered by Sata, and use a small RF remote to control the RGB. When it comes to LED strips, diffused strips look better.

Some (older/cheaper) fans just have LEDs hard wired into the fan power and cannot be software controlled. I believe this to be the case with those Antec Tricool fans.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So, got my last two pieces for my new build. Excited to get it going tonight, so I began to take off the tempered glass siding to the Fractal Meshify C, and that shit just shatters in my hand...

Bit of a turn off, not sure why we can't just use the plexiglass shit all the old cases used to use...
you get it from amazon? take a pic and they refund you.

• 1Like

Jovec

?

My Fractal Define 7 XL had shipping damage that I missed. Their CS wanted proof of purchase, serial number, and a pic, but they sent me a replacement front panel no charge. Perhaps your side panel was damaged in shipping too.

• 1Like

Crone

That compatibility picture is from the fan. My old motherboard has zero rgb capabilities. Just wanna make sure fans I buy work.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
My Fractal Define 7 XL had shipping damage that I missed. Their CS wanted proof of purchase, serial number, and a pic, but they sent me a replacement front panel no charge. Perhaps your side panel was damaged in shipping too.

Bought from Newegg. I just reached out to Fractal directly to see if they'd just ship me a new panel. Would like to get this build finished.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
3090 Bykski waterblock finally came in. Mfer had no instructions so I’m surprised it booted up and displayed picture. Tomorrow I get to redo the lines, joy.
DFF4460C-D9F0-48F3-B44A-A019826CC3DB.jpeg

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Bought from Newegg. I just reached out to Fractal directly to see if they'd just ship me a new panel. Would like to get this build finished.
I shattered mine as well. They sent another one to me for free within a week. That glass is pretty delicate, but their customer service has been top notch the 2 times I have dealt with them.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>

Had this happen 2x in the past, not sure there is anything quite as annoying. Hope they can ship it double time with the holiday log jam. I’ve had 4 packages lost in space in the last week myself.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I shattered mine as well. They sent another one to me for free within a week. That glass is pretty delicate, but their customer service has been top notch the 2 times I have dealt with them.
Yeah they are shipping one out to me. Might grab some suction cups to deal with the glass.

Crone

So on PC Part picker there are a number of parts not available that are in my build and fully compatible. I do a Google search, and the part is on their website but it's not on the compatibility list for the setup so it won't let me add it. Weird example... I'm running a first gen Ryzen 1700 with stock Wraith cooler, but the wraith cooler isn't listed at all for me to choose as my CPU cooler. I can add it as a "custom" thing.

My RAM wasn't in there, despite pulling the model number right off the stick. Do a Google search, and it's the Fortis line from GSkill, but not in the PC Part Picker system. Power supply wasn't in there either. Just weird shit that I haven't seen before with PC Part Picker, but probably because my system is so old?

Anyone else know a work around, or am I choosing wrong parts?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill FORTIS 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ELITE GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G1 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan
Monitor: Acer XG270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor
Custom: AMD Wraith Spire Socket AM4 4-Pin Connector CPU Cooler With Copper Core Base & Aluminum Heatsink & 3.81-Inch Fan RGB LED Light fr Ryzen R7
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-22 18:37 EST-0500

Last edited:

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I made that mistake in my build. Put it all together, went to update the bios only to realize I had to take the CPU, GPU and RAM out in order to flash the bios.
To add to the "Bios Flashback" fun. My Asus B550-I board wouldn't even show signs of life until I socketed a CPU in it, then suddenly the board has power and I can stick my thumb drive in and hit the bios update button.

So, these bios updates without turning the system on are all completely different. But I'll find out tomorrow if it actually updated and will boot when I get my new case and can fully assemble the system.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Well started in Sept and finished today. I am not fully thrilled on the run with the flow meter but the thought of making short 90 degree turns makes me cringe. Great GPU temps, hasn’t gone over 36, stays well below the cpu.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users