Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Lol id rather build my own - also that looks kind of ridiculous - I just finished my custom setup and im ready to sell it and try something else

Also the dam cpu is always 15-20 degrees warmer than the gpu and it warms the gpu - i need to change the loop somehow so that there is a second 240 or 360 radiator between the gpu and cpu - at the moment i have a small 120 but last night the gpu temp rose to like 65 and brought the gpu up to 55 - also weird is the water level started to rise on its own? I am thinking of a way to have the 120 radiator go to a 240 or 360 and then down to the cpu since the cpu then goes to a 360 and distro before going back into the gpu -
There has been a lot of testing on that, and it really doesn't. Like 1-3c at most.

Water rising might be air getting stuck in places, probably radiators. I'd try to work that out, tilting the case in different ways and see if you get air movement

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Lol id rather build my own - also that looks kind of ridiculous - I just finished my custom setup and im ready to sell it and try something else

Also the dam cpu is always 15-20 degrees warmer than the gpu and it warms the gpu - i need to change the loop somehow so that there is a second 240 or 360 radiator between the gpu and cpu - at the moment i have a small 120 but last night the gpu temp rose to like 65 and brought the gpu up to 55 - also weird is the water level started to rise on its own? I am thinking of a way to have the 120 radiator go to a 240 or 360 and then down to the cpu since the cpu then goes to a 360 and distro before going back into the gpu -

How much space is there between the GPU and the glass? The vertical mount could be reducing the GPU's airflow.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Would I have these kinds of weird problems if I had just an AIO on the processor? I wanna go water cooling for my next build, but not full-on custom loop. Just a simple AIO.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I didn't mention it, 5950 (because it's what I could nab) and a 3080.

Let me know the temps you get in gaming - for some reason when i game everything is fine but when i played "A Way Out" @4k my temps got higher than usual. Cpu idle is 36 and Gpu is 26 - General gaming is +20 on both

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If it's just on "A Way Out" it's more likely the game itself than anything else

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Let me know the temps you get in gaming - for some reason when i game everything is fine but when i played "A Way Out" @4k my temps got higher than usual. Cpu idle is 36 and Gpu is 26 - General gaming is +20 on both
With PBO enabled, I let the system idle for 30 minutes in Cyberpunk where you meet Jackie after leaving your appartment: 71c cpu/49c gpu.
My idle is probably 40c cpu/30c gpu.

I’d assume a drop of 10-15c cpu if I disabled PBO.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Would I have these kinds of weird problems if I had just an AIO on the processor? I wanna go water cooling for my next build, but not full-on custom loop. Just a simple AIO.
AIOs are really simple and proven at this point. I’ve had an early H100 on my 6700k running for 4 years now with no problems, load temps of 60c on the processor with probably not the greatest airflow over the rad due to it being an intake with a dust filter on it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
With PBO enabled, I let the system idle for 30 minutes in Cyberpunk where you meet Jackie after leaving your appartment: 71c cpu/49c gpu.
My idle is probably 40c cpu/30c gpu.

I’d assume a drop of 10-15c cpu if I disabled PBO.

Thats similar to what i had - what resolution are you playing at?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Below is a pic of all the boards PC Part Picker says is compatible with the O11 D case, which is a ton, but what is your guy's process to pick a motherboard? there are so many. Other than price I guess? I'm not dropping $400 on a Dark Hero, as I'm not an extreme overclocker, but in the $200 price range there are still a lot.

1609008617048.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For Mo-Bo I usually pick the enthusiast ones ($150ish) and they have worked out great for me over the years so far. I dont need any bells and whistles on mo-bos like wi fi and all the other bullshit II will never use.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi and have been happy with it. The small amount of RGB on it is pretty unobtrusive if you don't want to install the software to control it. I paid about $180 for it a few months ago.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Price, features(# usb/m2/sata ports, wifi/lan speed, etc), build quality (vrm, bios, memory support for highend/oc.) If you don't really need anything special, can safely get any B550 board in the $150 range.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Be jealous nerds. Pulled my desktop out of storage since I was bored.

i7-2600k and a 970gtx in it. 60gb ssd and a 1tb regular drive. The cpu cooler is dead and the HD is going. Ordered a new cooler and 500gb ssd for about $60. I assume I can run cyberpunk at ultra in 4k?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Are motherboard mounting holes not universal? I guess I was under the impression any MOBO would fit into any case (as long as the case is not tiny).

Also, as someone who doesn't know much about how CPU and GPU performance actually works, why are Ryzen CPUs so "slow"? I currently have an i7-7700k from 3+ years ago and it runs at 4.2ghz base. The Ryzen 5 3600x, which is much newer runs at 3.8ghz base. Is there something to performance besides just the number? I'm looking at upgrading my PC sometime in the next year and why would I want to downgrade my CPU speed three years later? Do they just assume everyone is going to overclock?

Last edited:

Jovec

?
Are motherboard mounting holes not universal? I guess I was under the impression any MOBO would fit into any case (as long as the case is not tiny).

Also, as someone who doesn't know much about how CPU and GPU performance actually works, why are Ryzen CPUs so "slow"? I currently have an i7-7700k from 3+ years ago and it runs at 4.2ghz base. The Ryzen 5 3600x, which is much newer runs at 3.8ghz base. Is there something to performance besides just the number? I'm looking at upgrading my PC sometime in the next year and why would I want to downgrade my CPU speed three years later? Do they just assume everyone is going to overclock?

Motherboard mounting holes are basically universal - all ATX mobos should have 9 mounting holes, at Micro ATX should have....6 (IIRC), etc. You may have move/remove the standoffs on the case depending on how they are preinstalled.

CPU performance is a combination of Instructions Per Clock (IPC) x Clock Speed. A CPU with a higher IPC but lower clockspeed can be faster than a different architecture with a higher clockspeed but lower IPC. It's not quite that simple, but it is close enough. Look at benchmarks to see performance differences between various CPU families. Benchmarks can have a lot of variables too and must be taken in context, but most reputable sites/reviewers bench with enough consistency and will inform you of any limitations.

For most things recent:

Gaming: Ryzen 5000 > Intel 10XXX > Ryzen 3000 = Intel 9XXX (Due to IPC + Clocks)
Productivity: Ryzen 5000 > Ryzen 3000 > Intel 10XXX > Intel 9XXX (Due to IPC + more cores for the same/less money)

Last edited:

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Interesting. I have to buy a new CPU when I upgrade anyway. Is it really necessary these days to have 8+ cores for most gaming? I don't play any crazy games like Cyberpunk, FPS games, or really anything that pushes your computer to the limits. I also don't do any video editing or running a million things at one time in general. I just wonder how over-CPU'd most PCs are. Wouldn't a fast 4 or 6 core CPU be sufficient for my needs?

Jovec

?
Interesting. I have to buy a new CPU when I upgrade anyway. Is it really necessary these days to have 8+ cores for most gaming? I don't play any crazy games like Cyberpunk, FPS games, or really anything that pushes your computer to the limits. I also don't do any video editing or running a million things at one time in general. I just wonder how over-CPU'd most PCs are. Wouldn't a fast 4 or 6 core CPU be sufficient for my needs?
If you are trying to go for longevity (4-5+ years) try to get at least a 8 Core / 16 thread CPU. A 6 core, 12 thread CPU is enough for basically every game right now though. Cyberpunk 2077 did have some issues with 4c/8t Ryzens but that was probably more due to the game's poor code than anything else.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, all the new consoles have 8/16 so you can pretty much bet on newer games in the coming years being all set up for 8/16. (although on consoles its a bit different?) On paper and reviews that new Ryzen 6/12 is all the rage, I would still opt for the 5800 or better to future proof my shit.