Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh, okay. So it doesn't matter if I don't have too many harddrives.
yea it won't be an issue for "most" ppl and easily overcome by buying larger hard drives and condensing your current drives or external storage/nas

btw most of all the modern cases i've looked at, don't even have hard drive mounting options beyond 2

while largers cases have the slots for the hard drives you have to buy the additional hard drive rails to install them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’ll pick a case once all the parts are chosen, I’m not tied to anything specific. And yes? Is there any reason I shouldn’t?
the wraith cooler is perfectly serviceable, but is loud.

that isnt an issue really. the wraith cooler takes 2seconds to install, and with modern cases where there are cpu, motherboard cutouts for the backplate, it is simple to upgrade your cpu cooler down the line.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I took a long break from PC building, and things have changed a lot. To put it in perspective, I built my last PC when Diablo 3 came out. I ended up taking it out and overclocked my 2600k to 4.5, replaced a 460gt with a 5500xt video card, and added a 500gb SSD. When I asked here I was told it probably wouldn't run something like the new COD, so I was a little surprised to be able to average over 60fps in COD Cold War and Warzone. Is the 2600k really still somewhat viable?

How much would I realistically gain with a new budget gaming build? Given my current situation I would prefer to go extreme budget for a while, so maybe holding out is the best solution for now unless there is a budget upgrade that will give a huge bump.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Witless

Trakanon Raider
I appreciate the replies, as no one has commented on the guts I’ll consider them to be decent picks. Next step is to find a case with good fan/cooling support and USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C . If the Wraith cooler is noisy I’ll probably be replacing it in short order. I also need to finalize a good 2060 variant, any recommendations?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure what your budget for a case is but the bequiet 500dx is by the best $100 I've ever spent on a case and has the things you mention.

Jovec

?
My current problem is picking a good RTX 2060 variant (for possible ray tracing)

You want a Nvidia 3000 series for ray tracing. Nvidia 2000 and Radeon 6800 are first gen and lacking performance.

Not sure what your budget for a case is but the bequiet 500dx is by the best $100 I've ever spent on a case and has the things you mention.

I've been looking at that case to toss some old hardware into and get a feel for BEQuiets's quality (or lack thereof), and I really wish it had more than 1 front panel usb 2/3. Instead I am leaning towards a Fractal Define 7 Compact (1 type C, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB3.0, no argb), although it's not really an "air-flow" case with the door. Door could always be opened or removed I supposed.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been looking at that case to toss some old hardware into and get a feel for BEQuiets's quality (or lack thereof), and I really wish it had more than 1 front panel usb 2/3. Instead I am leaning towards a Fractal Define 7 Compact (1 type C, 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB3.0, no argb), although it's not really an "air-flow" case with the door. Door could always be opened or removed I supposed.
many cases i looked at are doing the "minimalist" thing w/ the front panel of 1usb c, 1usb 3 and 1 headphone jack and they include a 2.5mm splitter for the mic

sukik

Should complete the build Saturday when I pickup the 3070 I just bought from Best Buy. I added an extra 1tb hynix ssd for more game drive space. I've had the monitor from a sale a few months back. It suits my needs for now. I like the case and get why it's popular. It's not as Fancy as some of the others, but it was much easier to build in than the last budget case I bought.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NG8768

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL18 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: SK hynix Gold S31 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($895.00 @ Amazon)

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)

Monitor: Gigabyte G32QC 31.5" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

Last edited:

sukik

We are talking a couple percent (probably 0-3% depending on app/game) , but 3200 CL18 is leaving a bit of performance on the table. Newegg has some 3200 cl16 for $100-$120. 3200 CL14/15 and 3600 CL16 are a bit of a price jump.
It put the wrong Team ram on there. The stuff I bought is 16 3200. Got it for 104 on sale over the holidays. Holding off on doing much tweaking until I get another fan and gpu in place.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I took a long break from PC building, and things have changed a lot. To put it in perspective, I built my last PC when Diablo 3 came out. I ended up taking it out and overclocked my 2600k to 4.5, replaced a 460gt with a 5500xt video card, and added a 500gb SSD. When I asked here I was told it probably wouldn't run something like the new COD, so I was a little surprised to be able to average over 60fps in COD Cold War and Warzone. Is the 2600k really still somewhat viable?

How much would I realistically gain with a new budget gaming build? Given my current situation I would prefer to go extreme budget for a while, so maybe holding out is the best solution for now unless there is a budget upgrade that will give a huge bump.

If you're still able to play the games you want at good frame rates, assuming you're using a 60Hz 1080p monitor, do you need to upgrade? 144Hz+ monitors are where you're going to be picking out the right CPU/GPU, and that's gonna be a $1000+ build sans monitor. Recently there's been shortages of the latest CPUs and GPUs, supply can't meet demand, and scalpers have been raising prices. I'd say wait it out a few months and build a solid 144Hz gaming PC for a decent price with an appropriate 144Hz monitor.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You want a Nvidia 3000 series for ray tracing. Nvidia 2000 and Radeon 6800 are first gen and lacking performance.

RT is vastly overrated - id hope people are not building machines based around turning on RT and not pure performance. Pure performance the 6800XT smashes on the 3080 and 3090 in alot of situations especially in 1080p and 1440p.

RT is still in its infancy on both AMD and Nvidia and until they can both fix the incredible hit thats taken it hardly matters. 3000 series stil takes about the same % hit but since its overall performance is better in general it ofcourse translates into higher FPS in RT. However for the 1%? of games that support RT it makes very little sense to build a rig around a feature like that. DLSS is in somewhat the same boat as its in even less games than RT, however in the titles it does work on it does provide a nice benefit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jovec

?
FWIW, I've $250+ in Uni Fans and they are disappointing. They aren't reporting fan speed correctly to the mobo. One suggested "fix" is some rando file on the LL website that doesn't solve my problem (AacSetup_loki_1.0.9.0.7z, wants to install "WD_Black D50). Another solution is to use a splitter to get reporting (but not speed control). Just like every Lian Li product I've owned (well north of $2k) they look great on paper but as you spend more and more time with their products they are just always a bit wrong.

As an example, the cable header used at the end of the daisy chain attaches in one direction, which might be fine for most installs, but LL should include one header in the master kit that has the attached cables running the opposite way, to avoid 180 bend in locations that call for that.

Back to Noctua.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
FWIW, I've $250+ in Uni Fans and they are disappointing. They aren't reporting fan speed correctly to the mobo. One suggested "fix" is some rando file on the LL website that doesn't solve my problem (AacSetup_loki_1.0.9.0.7z, wants to install "WD_Black D50). Another solution is to use a splitter to get reporting (but not speed control). Just like every Lian Li product I've owned (well north of $2k) they look great on paper but as you spend more and more time with their products they are just always a bit wrong.

As an example, the cable header used at the end of the daisy chain attaches in one direction, which might be fine for most installs, but LL should include one header in the master kit that has the attached cables running the opposite way, to avoid 180 bend in locations that call for that.

Back to Noctua.
The comforting brown welcomes you back.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I really like the design of them but a 60+% markup on a fan was just to much for a small amount of convenience.

Jovec

?
The comforting brown welcomes you back.
Noctua.jpg
I really like the design of them but a 60+% markup on a fan was just to much for a small amount of convenience.

I was lucky enough to get them at "stock" prices. 6x120 at $25+$5 shipping/ea off Amazon and the 140 kit for $70 with a 3rd 140 for $70/$30 respectively from Newegg.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
$30 for a $10-15 fan is exactly what I am saying, even worse is the people who buy them at scalper prices.

Jovec

?
MSRP for Uni's aren't too bad compared to the competition, but it's hard to beat this fan in value (and they beat the Uni 120s in CFM and SP). I have always thought Noctua fans were fairly priced when you consider everything that came with them along with their performance and durability. That line of thinking is changing a little simply because I have bought so many of them over the years that I have all the extension cables, LNA, ULNA, splitters, anti-vibration pads, etc that I will ever need.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Question: I bought this motherboard, it says its an ATX, several years ago for a Plex box. I put it in this huge rack mount computer case. I'm ready to downsize the computer. Can I get any "ATX case" from Amazon and put it in there?

Motherboard:

Would that MB fit in this case?

Shit man, honestly all the case has is a flash drive in it, it connects on network to my HD array. I bet I could downsize the whole thing to something the size of a Mac Mini but running ubuntu. My problem is I could never figure out how to install radarr / sonarr / plex / mount HDs, etc, again.