Desktop Computers

Jovec

?
8700k is about 10% better than Ryzen 3000 in gaming if you aren't GPU limited, but you are going from one dead platform to another. I am not saying it is a bad deal as I have no real idea on used prices. You can get a Ryzen 3600 system (CPU, mobo, ram) for around $450. Sure it's $100 more, but you are getting PCIe 4 and the ability to drop in a 5000 CPU if you ever needed too.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah, I'm reconsidering.

I could probably drop $300 on Facebook Marketplace for a Coffee Lake setup and achieve virtually the same results and have access to m.2 and DDR4 ....et. al.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this instead, the turbo on an i7-8700k is already 4.7 before overclocking, I can still delid it and drop that aftermarket cooler on it and probably get it up to 5, plus I have a bench case so I can do ATX, Micro-ATX, ITX anyway

View attachment 325933
thats practically a new pc, are you against ryzen? theres nothing hindering you from untethering from intel then.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Unless you need the increased performance right now, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on an old platform. I would plan out a build for a current gen system and buy parts as you can over then next few months. A last gen Ryzen system would be a good option. Just get a mobo that has a bios update to support the new Ryzens so you'll have that option open down the road.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Unless you need the increased performance right now, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on an old platform. I would plan out a build for a current gen system and buy parts as you can over then next few months. A last gen Ryzen system would be a good option. Just get a mobo that has a bios update to support the new Ryzens so you'll have that option open down the road.
yea, you never know when new motherboard stuff will actually be useful, like my wife wanted a highspeed iphone to laptop to computer transfer

0b4aa01d787d7d3836b2eafb4b73ee41.png

yea, that actually worked

• 1WTF

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yea, you never know when new motherboard stuff will actually be useful, like my wife wanted a highspeed iphone to laptop to computer transfer

0b4aa01d787d7d3836b2eafb4b73ee41.png

yea, that actually worked
This... makes my head hurt.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i have the bequiet 4, so far my favorite cooler

i have a ryzen 5 on high oc, and the damn fans don't even spin up

i actually have 2, one was an annoying install b/c the case was not modern (it actually opens from the right side), so it was more difficult installing it w/ mb installed, i had to install it first, then install the mb.

the second one was on a modern nzxt 710 case and that was amazingly easy.

i also love the long ass screw driver they give, ha
I think I’m going to get one. The Wraith cooler keeps it cool just fine, I’m <60 under full load but it sounds like a jet engine when under load.

Are the two fans daisy chained or is it two separate? I will have to get one of those splitters if they’re not chained together.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think I’m going to get one. The Wraith cooler keeps it cool just fine, I’m <60 under full load but it sounds like a jet engine when under load.

Are the two fans daisy chained or is it two separate? I will have to get one of those splitters if they’re not chained together.
it comes w/ splitter

you can also go w/ noctua d15, i only got the bequiet honestly b/c it was 50% off cuz amazon mangled the box (but cooler fine), they perform the same but the bequiet is actually also pretty

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
it comes w/ splitter

you can also go w/ noctua d15, i only got the bequiet honestly b/c it was 50% off cuz amazon mangled the box (but cooler fine), they perform the same but the bequiet is actually also pretty
I like the look of the bequiet a lot better.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I got all the parts for my 10700k build and put it together last night without issue. I initially wanted to get a 5600x, but I wanted to build it now without having to fight scalpers for a processor.

I'm planning on getting a 3080 or 3070 when evga sends me a notification, or I find one available elsewhere. I'll probably put more ram and an extra 1tb ssd game/work drive in it so I don't have to fuck with it for a long while after I put the vid card in.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got all the parts for my 10700k build and put it together last night without issue. I initially wanted to get a 5600x, but I wanted to build it now without having to fight scalpers for a processor.

I'm planning on getting a 3080 or 3070 when evga sends me a notification, or I find one available elsewhere. I'll probably put more ram and an extra 1tb ssd game/work drive in it so I don't have to fuck with it for a long while after I put the vid card in.
you only have 16gb on a new build?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yea just giving options, install is super simple
Hmm I think I’ll need to measure if it will fit in my meshify. Is it really 6.4 inches tall like Amazon description or is that the box dimension?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hmm I think I’ll need to measure if it will fit in my meshify. Is it really 6.4 inches tall like Amazon description or is that the box dimension?
for you dawg, i grabbed my tape measure

from mounted motherboard pcb it's 6 3/4in

*edit, also the box it comes in is huge!

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It has 32 now, 64 would probably be excessive, but why not
I have 32gb and I’ve never seen it go above 64%. That’s with a game running, lots of browser tabs open, iTunes, antivirus, hardware monitoring stuff going, etc.

Edit: That’s just me testing it, I realistically don’t have ALL of that going on. Usually just tabs, iTunes, maybe one hardware monitor, and a game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sukik

Ok ok, maybe I'll hold off. I want to use it for more than just gaming, like testing/learning stuff in containers and vm's. But I can just add more later if it's an issue.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ok ok, maybe I'll hold off. I want to use it for more than just gaming, like testing/learning stuff in containers and vm's. But I can just add more later if it's an issue.
Yeah I’d just do 32. Do what you want and just look to see how much you’re using. If you find you’re capping it then buy more, I doubt you will though.

• 1Like

Crone

So my AIO and RAM are Corsair, so if I want to keep things convenient I'm locked into the Corsair world. But from what I understand the LL Unifans do not work with the iCue software? So then I'm looking at the Corsair LL120's, or the QL120's? Anyone have experience with either? Despite the cost, I'm leaning towards the QL's because it has the LED lights on both sides.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Uni Fans in stock

Black single and triple

White single

White triple