Desktop Computers

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Question: I bought this motherboard, it says its an ATX, several years ago for a Plex box. I put it in this huge rack mount computer case. I'm ready to downsize the computer. Can I get any "ATX case" from Amazon and put it in there?

Motherboard:

Would that MB fit in this case?

Shit man, honestly all the case has is a flash drive in it, it connects on network to my HD array. I bet I could downsize the whole thing to something the size of a Mac Mini but running ubuntu. My problem is I could never figure out how to install radarr / sonarr / plex / mount HDs, etc, again.

Yes, a standard ATX motherboard will fit in any ATX case that adheres to the standard properly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
FWIW, I've $250+ in Uni Fans and they are disappointing. They aren't reporting fan speed correctly to the mobo. One suggested "fix" is some rando file on the LL website that doesn't solve my problem (AacSetup_loki_1.0.9.0.7z, wants to install "WD_Black D50). Another solution is to use a splitter to get reporting (but not speed control). Just like every Lian Li product I've owned (well north of $2k) they look great on paper but as you spend more and more time with their products they are just always a bit wrong.

As an example, the cable header used at the end of the daisy chain attaches in one direction, which might be fine for most installs, but LL should include one header in the master kit that has the attached cables running the opposite way, to avoid 180 bend in locations that call for that.

Back to Noctua.

The L-connect software lets you set fan speed for each cluster - so im curious the issue youre having

Jovec

?
The L-connect software lets you set fan speed for each cluster - so im curious the issue youre having

PWM mode to allow for mobo control. L-connect (or the hub) isn't reporting fan speed so the mobo thinks there are no fans connected and won't ramp speed up/down based on temps.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
PWM mode to allow for mobo control. L-connect (or the hub) isn't reporting fan speed so the mobo thinks there are no fans connected and won't ramp speed up/down based on temps.
I don't have time to go back and check, what you said previously so I'll just ask.

The LianLi Unifans need to be connected to their controller (which comes with the 3 pack) and then the controller needs to be connected to the motherboard. That is done correct?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got my 3070 and finished the build. Everything works fine, but it looks like I need a better backup ups. When the gpu is under heavy load, my apc backup ups gives an overload warning. I had to move the monitor off the backup. I only have it for the occasional power hiccup so it's not a priority.

• 1Worf

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I don't have time to go back and check, what you said previously so I'll just ask.

The LianLi Unifans need to be connected to their controller (which comes with the 3 pack) and then the controller needs to be connected to the motherboard. That is done correct?

This - everything is plugged into controller and it does everything including sending info to the motherboard incase i want to allow the motherboard to control it (via the button in l-connect software). Are you sure your hub is connected properly?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
i have a gtx 1060 6gb laying around this girl i know wants to buy it what should i charge her? its lightly used but that dont matter much with the new cards n prices im thinking 80-100?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
i have a gtx 1060 6gb laying around this girl i know wants to buy it what should i charge her?

close up flirting GIF

• 6Worf
  • 2Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Think I found my next computer...
Pi’s are fun little projects if you’re serious. I’ll probably make one of these with my son in a year or two.

I’ve got a couple pi’s I’ve done various shit with. A couple emulator pi’s that have thousands of games in them. A camera monitor/network thing for my 3D printer.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Husband's 11+ year old computer is, understandably, shitting the bed and even simple stuff like getting sound to consistently come out of it when using discord and a browser is becoming difficult for it. Perusing around at some budget builds, is it just me, or are individual parts kind of a shit show right now in terms of price and availability? I haven't bought a pre-built in probably 20 years, are there any decent sellers these days? Other than the markup for building/wiring it up, how are the prices vs. the individual cost of the parts? Aiming for something in the $5-800 range that can at least play more recent titles; no 4k, no VR, none of the fancy shit if anyone has any recommendations for a build or a pre-built around that. Also, something easy to upgrade later on.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Husband's 11+ year old computer is, understandably, shitting the bed and even simple stuff like getting sound to consistently come out of it when using discord and a browser is becoming difficult for it. Perusing around at some budget builds, is it just me, or are individual parts kind of a shit show right now in terms of price and availability? I haven't bought a pre-built in probably 20 years, are there any decent sellers these days? Other than the markup for building/wiring it up, how are the prices vs. the individual cost of the parts? Aiming for something in the $5-800 range that can at least play more recent titles; no 4k, no VR, none of the fancy shit if anyone has any recommendations for a build or a pre-built around that. Also, something easy to upgrade later on.
pre-builds are pretty good, especially if youre building a new pc and video cards are hard to come by now, however pre-builds will start out at 1500$ on the low end, usually

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

HP Omen 30L Gaming Computer; Intel Core i7 10700KF 3.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X; 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM; 1TB - Micro Center

This ships!

Kais

<Gold Donor>
For....well a couple paragraphs of reasons.... pandemic, supply constraints, tariffs, china, cryptomining....part pricing and availability is absolute shit right now. It was bad during release in the fall, it's somehow worse now. And will be until at earliest May. If you don't want to play whac-a-mole staring at twiter/discord feeds hoping to buy a GPU/CPU in the 30 seconds or so they are available every other day ..... go with a pre-built like origin/cyberpower/digitalstorm/falconnorthwest.

AMD processors(they all are better than intel)
16gb pc3600 ram
m.2 nvme 1tb main drive
GPU.....whatever your wallet can bear. If you're 1080p gaming even the lowest tier current gen GPU will hit 144hz.

Rest is nitpicking really. That setup should last you 10 more years.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, was looking at something like this for prebuilt, but I've never heard of the company and it also sounds like a grab-bag on what manufacturer you actually get the GPU from:
Do AMD GPUs generally pair better with the CPUs or does it not really matter?

Kais

<Gold Donor>
GPU pairing is only a thing with monitors, g-sync/freesync. And that's a last-gen bottom tier processor. 3600s are current gen. That company sounds like they smash together whatever is cheapest they can get ahold of.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are generally some of the decent places for prebuilts - not many companies that do prebuilts do budget builds - alternatively its cheaper to build yourself and the parts you need are available

AMD 3600 or 3100?
Ryzen 5600x or 2060 non-super?
16GB ram
b460 mobo
1tb intel ssd
case
500w psu

Something like this - you can find better options on GPU from local people do disregard that price - you can also go 512SSD and 2TB platter for storage

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'd normally just build my own, though I'm not super knowledgeable on hardware but I can take a list and put it together at least. Was going to just get him something pretty similar to my current build until I saw pretty much everything was either out of stock or twice the price. He seems pretty happy with that 207 build (probably could have done the cheaper 206 build since the majority of his gaming is on Xbox and he barely uses the PC, but maybe he'll use it more now than it actually works?) and it comes with all the RGB stuff he wanted (I turned all that shit off on mine) so looks like we're going with that. I can always toss in one of the Intel SSDs later on (honestly, I don't think he'll even need it) and another stick of RAM.

Thanks, guys!