Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
78224BCF-93A7-4FB0-A3B6-1BFE505EDC90.jpeg

These came in today, haven’t opened it up to see what care is inside yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
mo power watts doesn't hurt, as long as it's at 80/gold/plat/titanium

and since almost everything over 600w is 80gold or better anyway (aside from china specials)

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, my PC came in:

View attachment 347864 View attachment 347865

I got my extra HD's hooked up, but there's two things that are annoying/wrong:

1. Every 60 seconds or so one of the fans will start blasting like I'm rolling down a wind tunnel
2. I put my M.2 950 Pro into one of the other M.2 slots, but the PC isn't recognizing it. It recognizes my hybrid drive, but not the 950. Any advices?

This is the PC: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC w this is the mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, WiFi 6E

I put the 950 Pro in the top M.2 slot. It's kind of confusing which one to use though, so maybe I put it in the wrong spot.

View attachment 347861

[edit] Lulz, is that slot disabled for non-11th gen cpus? I have an i9.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
M.2 drives use up a sata connection, make sure your hybrid drive isn't plugged into one those ports. MB manual should have a diagram showing you which

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So, my PC came in:

1. Every 60 seconds or so one of the fans will start blasting like I'm rolling down a wind tunnel
2. I put my M.2 950 Pro into one of the other M.2 slots, but the PC isn't recognizing it. It recognizes my hybrid drive, but not the 950. Any advices?

This is the PC: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC w this is the mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, WiFi 6E

I put the 950 Pro in the top M.2 slot. It's kind of confusing which one to use though, so maybe I put it in the wrong spot.

View attachment 347861

yes the first m2 slot (closest to cpu) only works for 11gen/rocketlake

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
M.2 drives use up a sata connection, make sure your hybrid drive isn't plugged into one those ports. MB manual should have a diagram showing you which

Think I’m good in that regard, since the 1 M.2 doesn’t work w Gen 9, heh.

yes the first m2 slot (closest to cpu) only works for 11gen/rocketlake

Yeah, that was my suspicion. Sigh, now I gotta take out this vid card again, which is pretty annoying.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So, my PC came in:

View attachment 347861

Did you go into disk management and initialize it? m.2 supersedes sata so the satas will turn off before the m.2 doesnt work

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Did you go into disk management and initialize it? m.2 supersedes sata so the satas will turn off before the m.2 doesnt work

No, but I think the issue is that I put it in the M1 slot which doesn’t work w Gen 9 processors.

I’ll move it to the middle M2 slot and then try to initialize.

Any of you have advice for transferring files from the 950 Pro to the new HD, so it’ll boot w all my stuff?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
No, but I think the issue is that I put it in the M1 slot which doesn’t work w Gen 9 processors.

I’ll move it to the middle M2 slot and then try to initialize.

Any of you have advice for transferring files from the 950 Pro to the new HD, so it’ll boot w all my stuff?

I had 2 m.2 on my 9900k build so not sure why that would be an issue unless its a motherboard issue with the one that came with it. Id try to make sure it is or isnt seen in Device Manager then go into disk management and see if you can initialize it.

Both of them*

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I had 2 m.2 on my 9900k build so not sure why that would be an issue unless its a motherboard issue with the one that came with it. Id try to make sure it is or isnt seen in Device Manager then go into disk management and see if you can initialize it.

Both of them*

I’ll try that first. But, the MOBO does say the M1 slot only works w Gen 11. Not a big deal since there 4 M.2 slots.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I’ll try that first. But, the MOBO does say the M1 slot only works w Gen 11. Not a big deal since there 4 M.2 slots.

Oh in that case put them where ever so long as they work lol - but yeah i didnt fully read - use slot 2 and 3 since its a 10th gen and that should solve the issues

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, I moved the 950 Pro from the M2_1 slot to the M2_2 slot and it's still not showing up.

I did some searching and apparently two of the m.2 slots are from the CPU (1-2) and two are from the chipset (3-4). The CPU lanes are shared with the PCIE Express graphics slots, so you need to actually enable the CPU to "bifurcate" those lanes, so they are not enabled by default. This will take lanes from your video card or potentially disable the second X16

My question is should I keep it in the M2_2 slot and just bifurcate in bios or should I move it to the M2_3 or 4 slot? After removing the video card 4x I do NOT want to do it again.Apparently in the bios its Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration > CPU PCIE Configuration Mode, but I have no idea what to set it to to get the result I want.

The manual did not cover any of this, REEEEEE.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just quoting what I read =/
so what youre saying is, you bought a pre-built system with 2 upgrade slots that cannot be used as upgrade slots b/c of the cpu that the pre-built system came with?

this makes no sense

i believe i also read that, that pcie x16_4 (the one that will be sacrificed) will also disable 2 sata ports...

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
so what youre saying is, you bought a pre-built system with 2 upgrade slots that cannot be used as upgrade slots b/c of the cpu that the pre-built system came with?

this makes no sense

i believe i also read that, that pcie x16_4 (the one that will be sacrificed) will also disable 2 sata ports...

Kinda, I think the M2_2 slot just "shares" lanes with the PCIe in that lane (which is my 3080). If I moved the 3080, I'm guessing it would no longer share those lanes.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty sure you can bifurcate and be fine, but I'm not actually sure how many lanes intel chips have these days. I'm like 99% sure you could with Ryzen