Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Good Lord... the dust. It offends my eyes!
I dunno what it is about the Pixel camera but I dusted and dusted and dusted and it kept seeing shit that wasn't even there. Everything in that pic was rubbed down with dust cloths and rubbing alcohol and no matter what, these white flecks came out of nowhere when I snapped a pic.

It could be that rubbing alcohol is a desiccant and that was causing everything to generate a ton of static electricity.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its the harsh flash lighting. Next time get some other light source (Table lamp?) and turn off the flash.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I dunno what it is about the Pixel camera but I dusted and dusted and dusted and it kept seeing shit that wasn't even there. Everything in that pic was rubbed down with dust cloths and rubbing alcohol and no matter what, these white flecks came out of nowhere when I snapped a pic.

It could be that rubbing alcohol is a desiccant and that was causing everything to generate a ton of static electricity.
bounce-dryer-sheets-003700001798-40_600.jpg

Works new or used.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

Get the variable speed unit unless you like blowing SMT's off your PCB's.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Get the variable speed unit unless you like blowing SMT's off your PCB's.
That just blows dust around.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Got the PC built, runs like a champ. Horizon on 4K ultimate runs like a champ, I haven't optimized anything anywhere yet. But loving the machine :)

1618864993129.png

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this belongs in the crypto thread, not sure. If there's a better thread to ask these questions let me know.

I'd like to put together a dedicated crypto mining rig, a computer that I only use for that and nothing else. I've got 3 laptops (new for 2020, 2017, 2016) that I could mine with but after looking at their specs I don't think they'll have a good time / amount ratio. One of them is too weak, one of them is on the verge of breaking down, so really it'd just be the 2020 doing most of the work.

So I got the idea to take a couple thousand and put together a desktop rig with the sole job of mining Ethereum 24/7. I'm sure plenty of other people have done this or tried to, and I haven't built a desktop in literally 20 years (started using laptops pretty exclusively after 2008 or so). So my questions are:

-3070 and 3080 are the best graphics cards for mining, right? (If you can find them)

-What else would I need? Like how much RAM? Any particular CPU?

-Would $3000 be adequate for setting up something strong enough to have a decent amount/day ratio?

I'm thinking something alone the lines of getting 3 or 4 30xx graphics cards at retail (somehow, via grit and tenacity and calling around every morning), plugging those into a desktop tower with enough CPU and RAM to run them, plus whatever coolant is needed, and getting my mining on. Goal is to have it pay for itself within 4 months but I recognize that may be unrealistic. I also recognize that even getting 30xx graphics cards may be unrealistic, and I might have to settle for a different configuration. I've heard that one 30xx outperforms two 20xx at mining, not sure if that's the case.

Last but not least, didn't NVidia fuck with newer graphics cards to prevent mining? So someone less tech-savvy like me might HAVE to go with older cards regardless just so they work right.

This all sounds like a lot of trouble but I feel like if I can pull it off and get it up and running, it'd be rewarding in the long run.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
3070 still in stock

Sold out now, but I feel like something like this is sorta what I'm looking for with my idea...only with two+ more graphics cards added in (provided it has room for that), with all of them mining.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this belongs in the crypto thread, not sure. If there's a better thread to ask these questions let me know.

I'd like to put together a dedicated crypto mining rig, a computer that I only use for that and nothing else. I've got 3 laptops (new for 2020, 2017, 2016) that I could mine with but after looking at their specs I don't think they'll have a good time / amount ratio. One of them is too weak, one of them is on the verge of breaking down, so really it'd just be the 2020 doing most of the work.

So I got the idea to take a couple thousand and put together a desktop rig with the sole job of mining Ethereum 24/7. I'm sure plenty of other people have done this or tried to, and I haven't built a desktop in literally 20 years (started using laptops pretty exclusively after 2008 or so). So my questions are:

-3070 and 3080 are the best graphics cards for mining, right? (If you can find them)

-Would $3000 be adequate for setting up something strong enough to have a decent amount/day ratio?

I'm thinking something alone the lines of getting 3 or 4 30xx graphics cards at retail (somehow, via grit and tenacity and calling around every morning), plugging those into a desktop tower with enough CPU and RAM to run them, plus whatever coolant is needed, and getting my mining on. Goal is to have it pay for itself within 4 months but I recognize that may be unrealistic. I also recognize that even getting 30xx graphics cards may be unrealistic, and I might have to settle for a different configuration. I've heard that one 30xx outperforms two 20xx at mining, not sure if that's the case.

Last but not least, didn't NVidia fuck with newer graphics cards to prevent mining? So someone less tech-savvy like me might HAVE to go with older cards regardless just so they work right.

This all sounds like a lot of trouble but I feel like if I can pull it off and get it up and running, it'd be rewarding in the long run.

I bought a 3080 rig for $3600. It’s grossing like $120/mo ETH minus power costs.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

They've been fucking with the drivers to nerf the mining for certain models. It seems workarounds have been developed pretty quickly though.

Do gamers a favor an look in to Crypto Mining GPU for Professional Miners if you're making a purely mining rig though.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, $120/mo on something you're using for general purpose seems pretty good to me. I'd be aiming at like $400-500 a month with 3x graphics cards running 24/7 and doing nothing except mining.

Those GPUs look perfect and I don't have to be a 30xx hog if I go that route. This should come together pretty nicely whenever I can scrape it together over the next few months...