Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I feel like you haven't looked at the case I linked you in the dream build thread! It's pretty epic

Lol i looked just now but im trying to get something smaller with a smaller foot print - The o11 XL is still smaller than my P8 but its quite nicer in some regards.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Waiting on 1 res and a couple fittings before I wrap it up and redo the final temp lines. It’s going to be soft tubed until I spend time to actually do real measurements which will likely be a couple months.

FD26628A-3414-49D8-B560-22A9BEDAE6BB.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My 12 year old rig finally shit the bed. I haven't looked at computer tech in ages. In looking for a new PC what are the brands/series for my components that I should look for and which ones should I avoid? Probably going to spend in the 2kish range. Already have a good monitor, keyboard and mouse so just looking for advice on GPU, cpu etc.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
12Yrs old? Holy shit man. At least you got your moneys worth. Just look for deals posted here either with a 3070 or 3080, whatever your flavor is. They are usually around $2300-$2700 or thereabouts. Xexx Xexx does a good job posting them here when they are available.

Problem these days is obviously the availability of video cards. So pre build is pretty much the only way youre going to get one of the new cards unless you win the lotto against bots. Which is highly unlikely. Even the pre builts go fast so get ready to pull trigger. If you have a microcenter around you they have some PowerSpecs coming in from time to time withthe new cards too. So look out for those as well. They usually get about 20 or so per store and they last a few days since you actually have to go in and get them, no online sales.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My last computer lasted 6.5 years and I thought that was ancient.

I can't even remember what games were good 12 years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My 12 year old rig finally shit the bed. I haven't looked at computer tech in ages. In looking for a new PC what are the brands/series for my components that I should look for and which ones should I avoid? Probably going to spend in the 2kish range. Already have a good monitor, keyboard and mouse so just looking for advice on GPU, cpu etc.
Just get a prebuilt. Otherwise you are going to be very frustrated and overpaying more than you would for the prebuilt. Worst time to do a pc is now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
To be fair I mostly play WoW, D3 and FF XIV. All of which fit that bill :)
Dude, with one of these new rigs, youre gonna get like 150- 200 frames in WoW easy. Youre basically using a commodore 64 lol. Even if you upgraded video card, I cant imagine the bottleneck that proc you had is causing.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

So is something like this the level of components you would go for at a minimum?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah its basically what I got. Shit is solid. That i7 proc is top of the line, even comparable to the latest ryzens. The 3070 will serve you well for 1080p and up to 1440p. Add a storage drive in there and youre golden. (which you can add yourself)

Also get the KF version fo the processor. Its basically the same thing although cheaper because it does not have on board graphics. For the savings get a better cooler, maybe a 240mm radiator instead of a 120mm. That proc runs warm.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

So is something like this the level of components you would go for at a minimum?
For what you are doing you could go lower if you wanted, but also for what you’re doing...that should last you another 12 years. Solid choice.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah depending on what you are running either 1080p or 1440p with 1080p you could step down to a 3060 or 3060 ti. But for longevity and overall better performance the 3070 is still obv better.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Man...you got your monies out of that!

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Man...you got your monies out of that!
I had a giant moving sale. I sold my Intel 2500 box to an old guy who was still using Windows...XP. I had to knock $25 off it (to $50) so he could afford it. Imagine going from a single core Pentium with 2GB of ram and a 250GB hard drive to a quad core/12GB/SSD computer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I had a giant moving sale. I sold my Intel 2500 box to an old guy who was still using Windows...XP. I had to knock $25 off it (to $50) so he could afford it. Imagine going from a single core Pentium with 2GB of ram and a 250GB hard drive to a quad core/12GB/SSD computer.
My kid put together my old 2500K mo bo and proc from old parts in the basement and hes using that as a streaming computer. works perfect. I think hes got his old AMD R480 in there. He was so proud of that shti too, I giggled a bit and shed a tear.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My kid put together my old 2500K mo bo and proc from old parts in the basement and hes using that as a streaming computer. works perfect. I think hes got his old AMD R480 in there. He was so proud of that shti too, I giggled a bit and shed a tear.
It is still a decent PC, but I rid myself of anything older than my Ryzen 3700. I've completely lost any desire to fiddle with computers, and 1000x that for anything old. My pile of boxes of computer parts got reduced to a drawer. Mobile shredder service is coming soon, and they do hard drives, too. All my platter drives save for 2 are getting crushed.

My next PC build is going to be mini itx. I just built one and love the space. I'll be going from 3 full size chassis to 2 small ones that don't even take up as much space as a mid tower.