Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've come to prefer the NH-D15S, because it is offset slightly to give a bit more clearance on the bottom/gpu side. This can help on GPUs with larger backplates, and you can also just add a second fan with the included clips.
but its 10bucks cheaper if you get the dual fan now instead of upgrading later

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why I posted - thanks for the recommendations!

And yeah there’s a MSI budget DDR4 board, but I figure it was worth it to get the full featured DDR5 board.
Now that I've done AIO cooling builds I don't think I would ever go back to air (I'd rather deal with a radiator than trying to work with and around the air coolers). I almost pulled the trigger on a 12600k, but because of the limited board and cooling selection a 5800x build was quite a bit less (sale on the 5800x and cheaper MOBO and cooling options). 12600k does look fantastic as far as value itself:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I read a review that said to look for a 2080Ti. I dug around for one with no luck for a bit and went back to the 3060. I'm not crazy about used pc parts. I don't ever feel comfortable with a slight discount on a part that's used when a new one is like 10% more, particularly with no warranty.

I spent just under $2900 on the whole rig with tax and everything. Everything was easy to install but it all took MUCH longer than any other pc build I've done. I think disassembling the fractal case and verifying all the wires are routed carefully to the right things has eaten up the extra time. I REALLY like the fractal case. Soooo many pieces of it come off easily to make the install easier and obscuring cables to make the build look clean is just super sweet.

I have come to like the Fractal cases. I got my first Fractal case because of a deal, and now, the last four PC's I have built have all been fractal cases. Like you said, a ton of pieces you can remove and makes cable management a breeze. I have also put the fractal AiO cooler in two of the machines and have had 0 issues with those, and they have been running almost nonstop for about 3 years now.

If I were to have one complaint about the case, it would be nice if there was maybe a quarter of an inch more room between the backplate for the MB and the side of the case.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Now that I've done AIO cooling builds I don't think I would ever go back to air (I'd rather deal with a radiator than trying to work with and around the air coolers). I almost pulled the trigger on a 12600k, but because of the limited board and cooling selection a 5800x build was quite a bit less (sale on the 5800x and cheaper MOBO and cooling options). 12600k does look fantastic as far as value itself:

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion as you and went with the 5800x.

Jovec

?
but its 10bucks cheaper if you get the dual fan now instead of upgrading later

The D15 and D15S are not the same in design. They are both 150mm wide, but while the D15 is centered so that it extends 75mm in each direction from the midpoint, the D15S is split 67mm to the left from the midpoint and 83mm to the right. This provides better clearance for the top PCIe slot (typically the x16 slot for GPUs) by shifting the fin stack towards the top of the motherboard. With both a D15 and a GPU with a thick backplate, they will touch - the D15S solves this.

Last edited:

Jovec

?
I almost pulled the trigger on a 12600k, but because of the limited board and cooling selection a 5800x build was quite a bit less (sale on the 5800x and cheaper MOBO and cooling options). 12600k does look fantastic as far as value itself:
For typically loads like web/office, gaming, and even media encoding, the 12600k shouldn't need any more cooling than a 5800x. Just pick up any decent Noctua for $50-100 depending on budget and case size restriction. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 been down at $110 lately too, which is about as good as it gets for 360mm AIOs. 12600k power draw and cooling requirements can be a factor under extended loads 24/7 type loads, but if that is your use case you would probably be better off with a 12900k or 5950x/threadripper anyway.

Melicant

For typically loads like web/office, gaming, and even media encoding, the 12600k shouldn't need any more cooling than a 5800x. Just pick up any decent Noctua for $50-100 depending on budget and case size restriction. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 been down at $110 lately too, which is about as good as it gets for 360mm AIOs. 12600k power draw and cooling requirements can be a factor under extended loads 24/7 type loads, but if that is your use case you would probably be better off with a 12900k or 5950x/threadripper anyway.
My issue was I was buying at Microcenter to put together the next day and according to them most of the ones they had in stock were not compatible with Alder Lake due to needing a different bracket. More about that here:

Jovec

?
My issue was I was buying at Microcenter to put together the next day and according to them most of the ones they had in stock were not compatible with Alder Lake due to needing a different bracket. More about that here:

Yep, forgot about the new socket requiring a new mounting bracket. My bad.

Just FYI, Noctua has their usual free socket kit for LGA1700 (they have 2 different versions depending on your cooler) and I saw that EKWB had the LGA1700 mount for their AIOs for $0.01 when buying new off of their site.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Be Quiet also has free kits you can request.
lulz you need to upload your bequiet heatsink receipt, i mean i get it, but if you didn't order online and got from microcenter or whatever...
(cuz you can't even buy em if you need em)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lulz you need to upload your bequiet heatsink receipt, i mean i get it, but if you didn't order online and got from microcenter or whatever...
(cuz you can't even buy em if you need em)
You can buy the kit separately, it's like 6 dollars plus shipping.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You can buy the kit separately, it's like 6 dollars plus shipping.
a3f008eb5d607489d06f3ab26bd620c3.png

Melicant

So far I absolutely love the Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh case. Accessibility and cable management are a lot better than anything I've used in the past. Pretty thorough review of the one I got here:

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So far I absolutely love the Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh case. Accessibility and cable management are a lot better than anything I've used in the past. Pretty thorough review of the one I got here:

Same case I did my build in. Only thing I hate is the inability to top mount a 360 AIO, so I had to go with a 240.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
even in the front?
Hence why I said you can't TOP mount it. Pay attention, Wong!

If I had to do it over again, I would've gone with the O11, without a doubt. I didn't do enough research and looked at a lot of "older" reviews. By the time I realized it, I wasn't about to do a complete teardown/rebuild. Besides, I'd probably only get 1-3c cooler temps out of a 360 vs. 240 rad anyhow and fan noise doesn't bother me (I sleep with a giant box fan for white noise). When the PC starts to age and I need to think about overclocking, I'll probably just throw a 280 AIO in, instead of the 240.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hence why I said you can't TOP mount it. Pay attention, Wong!

If I had to do it over again, I would've gone with the O11, without a doubt. I didn't do enough research and looked at a lot of "older" reviews. By the time I realized it, I wasn't about to do a complete teardown/rebuild. Besides, I'd probably only get 1-3c cooler temps out of a 360 vs. 240 rad anyhow and fan noise doesn't bother me (I sleep with a giant box fan for white noise). When the PC starts to age and I need to think about overclocking, I'll probably just throw a 280 AIO in, instead of the 240.
yea what is so bad about front mounting it

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
yea what is so bad about front mounting it
Nothing really, other than not wanting to deal with tearing down the included fans/mount on the case. Plus, arranging the tubing from the front would've been a little trickier due to the Hulkster of a card that is the 6700XT.

TLDR - Laziness, mostly.