Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1-year update on my CyberpowerPC I bought last Black Friday (build from scratch too much hassle). First time I've ever went all AMD and very happy. Runs cool and quiet. Super clean wiring for only a mid-tower case ... it looks nearly empty through the glass. Only thing I added was an adjustable GPU support bar.

Ryzen 5-5600X and RX-6800 are both in the top 8 on Tom's Hardware GPU and CPU charts and run lower watts than cards anywhere near them in performance. Flawless FPS on every game on ultra, though still running 2560*1080 ultrawide. Have yet to upgrade to 1440+.

Got this for around $1800 last CyberMonday with taxes, shipping, and peripherals. Shopping around and prices look *a lot* worse now. ;(

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHZ [4.6GHZ TURBO] 6C/12T 65Watt
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800 16GB GDDR6 (AMD Reference Card) 250Watt
  • Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000 Memory *2
  • 1TB Samsung 870 QVO-Series SATA-III 6 GB/S SSD
  • ASUS TUF X570-PLUS Gaming WI-FI ATX W/ RGB
  • Realtek LAN 2 PCIE X16 2 PCIE X1 8 SATA3 2 M.2 SATA/PCIE
  • CyberpowerPC DeepCool Castle 120EX ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Cooler Master MM710 Honeycomb
  • CyberpowerPC Amethyst 240V Mid Tower (BLACK)
  • 3 X ARGB Retail Case Fan V2 120 MM
  • Apevia 800Watt Gold 80 Plus Power Supply

^ probably not gonna upgrade anytime soon but is there a "weakest link" here?
if you were to upgrade the most cruicial and worthwhile is to go from 8gb to 24gb or 40gb

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Eh I’ll repost build when I learn how to copy/paste part picker.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Had just barely enough clearance for the RAM.

Also added two 140mm Be Quiet fans to the front and moved the stock fan from the front to the top.

Acquired Win10 Pro for $30, not the retail price.

Seems to run pretty cool, 3dmark11 took CPU to 61 and GPU to 77. CPU idles at 29-30 and GPU at 32-33.

Last edited:

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Only one issue on this build - waking the computer from sleep. I’ve googled this and changed the settings in BIOS, but no luck getting the mouse/keyboard to wake PC from sleep. BIOS is latest version. I have to hold the power button down to get it to reboot. For now I just don’t have it sleeping, but don’t want to leave it like that long term.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Only one issue on this build - waking the computer from sleep. I’ve googled this and changed the settings in BIOS, but no luck getting the mouse/keyboard to wake PC from sleep. BIOS is latest version. I have to hold the power button down to get it to reboot. For now I just don’t have it sleeping, but don’t want to leave it like that long term.
you did this exactly?

Advanced Settings ->
Wake up event Setup -> Enable Wake on USB device

i'm assuming you have a usb keyboard/ and or mouse
(i say assume b/c i still use a ps2 keyboard, so...)

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
you did this exactly?

Advanced Settings ->
Wake up event Setup -> Enable Wake on USB device

i'm assuming you have a usb keyboard/ and or mouse
(i say assume b/c i still use a ps2 keyboard, so...)
Yes - I have done that exactly. I’ve gone back and enabled wake on ps2 in addition just to try it, but haven’t tested it yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yes - I have done that exactly. I’ve gone back and enabled wake on ps2 in addition just to try it, but haven’t tested it yet.
no turn ps2 off if you have no ps2

also double check device manager
a34712d4142885501a4c027ea9cfee90.png

ca760c049f3410cf57640ea94a0a3150.png

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
It’s odd, seems like it wakes the computer but the display stays off. Have disabled deep sleep on the monitor already, and yeah had already done that in the device manager.

Jovec

?
Good luck getting one at a reasonable price!

Given that Zen 3+ will be the last upgrade for AM4, I am sure they will be very popular and in short supply. But most AM4 owners will be better off waiting for one regardless. Given the small Alder Lake performance bump, cost of DDR5, lack of PCIe5 GPUs and NVMes, one can easily skip a generation or two with a top tier AM4 system while waiting for prices to come down, PCIe5 to become relevant, and the process to be refined and bugs worked out. That's my plan anyway.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
And I was convinced by some rando's in the StockDrops Discord to get the 6900XT from ASRock. It's apparently a beast? Lol. I couldn't hold out any longer.

I’ve got their Taichi 6800XT and it’s been amazing. I’m actually gonna buy this one you linked though as I’ve been looking for 6900XT and will flip my 6800XT

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I’ve got their Taichi 6800XT and it’s been amazing. I’m actually gonna buy this one you linked though as I’ve been looking for 6900XT and will flip my 6800XT
Yea, side-by-side comparisons and benchmarks will put nVidia cards ahead. But in the end, I'm not running 2 side by side computers with AMD vs nVidia, I'm just running the one and when I throw this 6900XT into my machine with 5950x it's gonna pump out FPS that I've never seen before.

My backlog of games grew huge because now I want to go back and see what some of these games look like with all the graphics turned all the way up!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yea, side-by-side comparisons and benchmarks will put nVidia cards ahead. But in the end, I'm not running 2 side by side computers with AMD vs nVidia, I'm just running the one and when I throw this 6900XT into my machine with 5950x it's gonna pump out FPS that I've never seen before.

My backlog of games grew huge because now I want to go back and see what some of these games look like with all the graphics turned all the way up!
Not always the case - and depends on the card but in most non DLSS/RT situations the 6900XT will actually come out on top - Also the fastest AMD beats the fastest Nvidia in resolutions under 4k. Hardware unboxed has a good video on the top performing cards of each brand battling

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It’s odd, seems like it wakes the computer but the display stays off. Have disabled deep sleep on the monitor already, and yeah had already done that in the device manager.
well you know what to do now, test it with a different monitor

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Did try that - but it’s weird, cranks up the fans and lights up RGB ram and GPU, but doesn’t wake the monitor or the peripherals (mouse and keyboard).

Have gone through and not allowed computer to power down USB devices, disabled hibernate, lots of other things but no luck so far.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not always the case - and depends on the card but in most non DLSS/RT situations the 6900XT will actually come out on top - Also the fastest AMD beats the fastest Nvidia in resolutions under 4k. Hardware unboxed has a good video on the top performing cards of each brand battling
Cool! Found it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Grabbed a 5900x. $470. Had a 3700x. Pretty decent upgrade although mostly completely unnecessary. Had to upgrade RAM, decided that if I have to take off the Noctua, might as well make it worth my 5 minutes.

Getting a lot of miles out of this Noctua NH-D14. Got it for the 4790K. Grabbed a $7 AM4 kit for it when Ryzen came out. Still a monster. PC worked on a video file for 30 minutes and it hit 60C.

Reloaded the OS since it has been 14 months since I last did it. Feels FLEET. I don't add programs from all over hell's half acre, but driver updates and hardware swaps takes its toll over time, I guess.

Intel Wifi 6 AX 200 adapter that I got a while ago really sucks down the bits. A+ hardware.

Updated my older programs to new versions because why not.

Had a pile of Amazon bucks from my Amazon card...used it to grab a mainboard for the 3700x and stuff I had sitting around....free computer essentially.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Cool! Found it.

Yep someone finally offered me 7k for that system and i balked lol - i was all for selling it till i realized id put so much work into it i wouldnt want to start over - That plus it runs everything like a dream on the CX48.

This video bothers me because it refocuses the issue of people underestimating AMD because it doesnt do good RT or have DLSS but the cards are fuckin beastmode at pure power. If you can get AMD off AMD you likely struck gold because that $999 6900XT will wreck at that price point and the 6800XT beats the 3090 in some cases at $649

jsquirrel

Molten Core Raider
My spot on the EVGA bread line finally came up. :) Woo nelly.
EVGA Covid 3070-03.jpg

I got on the list Jan 20, 2021, too (though for the at-the-time $679.99 08G-P5-3767-KR).
Still, can finally move on from my 970. :)

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users