Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
38F0B3CC-4C53-4392-932C-B6478CD171C5.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I had some money on a gift card and needed to use it before it expired. I ended up grabbing another 16gb of DDR5 RAM and upgrading to 32. Shit is sweet. I had basically always heard/read that there was barely any difference, but even just booting was cut in half and all my shit runs super fast now.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OK Fam, time has come for a new home desktop for work and games. For nearly 20 years I would piece one together and build it, but the last one was so long ago - and I'm so out of touch with the changes in the market - that I don't think that's a good idea this time.

Does anyone have and recommend options for a pre-built, high-end PC? Something with little to no bloat and good components that will last me another 3-5 years? I'm sure there are new suppliers on the market, but I don't know anyone first hand with experience in a pre-built.

I'd like to keep it under $3,000 and it doesn't need to be bleeding edge with water cooling and overclocking or the latest 17 pound GPU the size of a shoe box.

Or, if a pre-built still isn't a great option, someone with an excel file listing good - and compatible - shit, would be cool. Thanks!

Kiki

Log Wizard
Sky is the limit bro. You have stuff like this:

But I recommend custom building on cyberpower or ibuypower.

EDIT: also you can find the sales on reddit if money is a concern

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
OK Fam, time has come for a new home desktop for work and games. For nearly 20 years I would piece one together and build it, but the last one was so long ago - and I'm so out of touch with the changes in the market - that I don't think that's a good idea this time.

Does anyone have and recommend options for a pre-built, high-end PC? Something with little to no bloat and good components that will last me another 3-5 years? I'm sure there are new suppliers on the market, but I don't know anyone first hand with experience in a pre-built.

I'd like to keep it under $3,000 and it doesn't need to be bleeding edge with water cooling and overclocking or the latest 17 pound GPU the size of a shoe box.

Or, if a pre-built still isn't a great option, someone with an excel file listing good - and compatible - shit, would be cool. Thanks!
All GPUs are 17 pound shoe boxes now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

to give you an idea, from Kiki Kiki prebuilt, this is me choose "quality" components matching that build
7205b2ec4b4e3db8e7a1731a5b1e9561.png

would i personally use all these parts? 90% yea, i mean maybe i'd go for ddr5 now, i'd like a more posh case( the 5000d is a proven performer), i'm done w/ water cooling, i'd just buy windows 11 key instead, but yea, this is an apples to apples comparison for you if you asked someone to spec a build that matches a prebuilt, but you went w/ quality you know. (you have no idea what comes in a prebuilt)

this way at least you know your budget? you didn't even specify if you were team red or blue and if you wanted to get ass raped by nvidia orr not

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I had some money on a gift card and needed to use it before it expired. I ended up grabbing another 16gb of DDR5 RAM and upgrading to 32. Shit is sweet. I had basically always heard/read that there was barely any difference, but even just booting was cut in half and all my shit runs super fast now.

AMD? I've seen some reports on Plebbit that for whatever reason, Zen really seems to like dual rank memory.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
AMD? I've seen some reports on Plebbit that for whatever reason, Zen really seems to like dual rank memory.
Nah, Intel. It could have been also that I was doing a clean up on the PC, as it was new, and trying to ditch bloatware and stuff.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
(you have no idea what comes in a prebuilt)

Agreed 100%, prebuilts are never fun. I would never buy one (erm I did buy one for $600, it's fucking great, just slapped in a graphics card and some ram), I go the custom config so you can choose brands but sometimes you can find them generic for $1500 on Reddit/Amazon/newegg if you need to save money.

So if I just throw one together in 30seconds: DDR5 and 4070ti for $2,843 and a 3year warranty, straight to your door. I say play around with it, have it your way (burger king). Get a bigger/better ssd, pick a different case, upgrade to a 4080, downgrade to ddr4, etc. I'm just lazy now, the time has become worth more than the money.

Casebe quiet! Pure Base 500DX Mesh Front Panel ARGB Gaming Case - White
Case Fans3x [Silent] be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Black PWM Fan Pack
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor (8X 3.00GHz + 16X 2.20GHz/36MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingCORSAIR iCUE H150i RGB ELITE 360mm Liquid Cooling System
Memory32 GB [16 GB X2] DDR5-5200MHz Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti - 12GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready) - GIGABYTE EAGLE OC
MotherboardMSI PRO Z790-P WiFi - WiFi, ARGB Header (3), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (4)
Power Supply1000 Watt - CORSAIR RM1000e - 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular
Primary Storage1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 3500MB/s; Write: 3300MB/s
Sound Card3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network CardOnboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home - (64-bit)

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

I have not owned one, but these are good units according to reviews.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agreed 100%, prebuilts are never fun. I would never buy one (erm I did buy one for $600, it's fucking great, just slapped in a graphics card and some ram), I go the custom config so you can choose brands but sometimes you can find them generic for $1500 on Reddit/Amazon/newegg if you need to save money.

So if I just throw one together in 30seconds: DDR5 and 4070ti for $2,843 and a 3year warranty, straight to your door. I say play around with it, have it your way (burger king). Get a bigger/better ssd, pick a different case, upgrade to a 4080, downgrade to ddr4, etc. I'm just lazy now, the time has become worth more than the money.

Casebe quiet! Pure Base 500DX Mesh Front Panel ARGB Gaming Case - White
Case Fans3x [Silent] be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Black PWM Fan Pack
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor (8X 3.00GHz + 16X 2.20GHz/36MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingCORSAIR iCUE H150i RGB ELITE 360mm Liquid Cooling System
Memory32 GB [16 GB X2] DDR5-5200MHz Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti - 12GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready) - GIGABYTE EAGLE OC
MotherboardMSI PRO Z790-P WiFi - WiFi, ARGB Header (3), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (4)
Power Supply1000 Watt - CORSAIR RM1000e - 80 PLUS Gold, Fully Modular
Primary Storage1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD -- Read: 3500MB/s; Write: 3300MB/s
Sound Card3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network CardOnboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating SystemWindows 11 Home - (64-bit)

I used to enjoy the process of building - from research to actual assembly - but these days I don't have the time, patience, or industry knowledge anymore. Time matters more, like you said, and I'd rather know something will work from the beginning.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I used to enjoy the process of building - from research to actual assembly - but these days I don't have the time, patience, or industry knowledge anymore. Time matters more, like you said, and I'd rather know something will work from the beginning.
you don't have to research, just say "foh fam i have 3k and no time, tell me what to buy" if you've built one or 2 computers, theres really not much to "relearn", just a few things like see a 5minute video on how to properly instally a nvme ssd and you probably don't know that this is the new usbc front panel header (it's all metal)
61PVEPFFOyL._AC_SY350_.jpg

do you know about the extra 8pin on the mb for power?
ce2eb9d66413efd80ee8e858ff990f3d.png

heck cuz of how power hungry i7 is now you'll probably need a 8pin and 4pin connected, but thats easy enough to see.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I put my PC together last year in about three hours. After bitching at Microcenter for a couple hours. The only difference was the SSD to the NVMe drive. It took me one minute to see where the slot was to insert the drive. Other than that, nothing has changed. Well, the pure size of video cards I guess.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you don't need it to be bleeding edge you can get some good deals on 12th gen intel stuff since 13th gen just came out. I still build my own but I've kind of stepped away from buying the top of the line CPUs since the additional cost just wasn't worth it to me anymore. I stick to upper mid-range which has good price/performance ratio and as an added bonus you can just stick to air cooling since these are generally lower TDP parts. Like this i7 is a 180W CPU and the i9 in the build listed above is a 250W part, that's all extra heat that needs to be pumped out of the case. I like my PCs quiet now.

You're definitely leaving some performance on the table compared to the build listed above but it's also a lot cheaper. Ultimately you have to decide what you really need it to do, I'd say if the heaviest load you're putting on the PC is games, then this will more than suffice.

1674761021527.png

• 1Barf

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If you don't need it to be bleeding edge you can get some good deals on 12th gen intel stuff since 13th gen just came out. I still build my own but I've kind of stepped away from buying the top of the line CPUs since the additional cost just wasn't worth it to me anymore. I stick to upper mid-range which has good price/performance ratio and as an added bonus you can just stick to air cooling since these are generally lower TDP parts. Like this i7 is a 180W CPU and the i9 in the build listed above is a 250W part, that's all extra heat that needs to be pumped out of the case. I like my PCs quiet now.

You're definitely leaving some performance on the table compared to the build listed above but it's also a lot cheaper. Ultimately you have to decide what you really need it to do, I'd say if the heaviest load you're putting on the PC is games, then this will more than suffice.

View attachment 455356

Be wary about buying anything from manufacturers like Dell and HP. You'll get some proprietary parts that can't be swapped out later on. For example, the front I/O on that computer is almost certainly an extension of a custom motherboard.

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Be wary about buying anything from manufacturers like Dell and HP. You'll get some proprietary parts that can't be swapped out later on. For example, the front I/O on that computer is almost certainly an extension of a custom motherboard.

Yea that's definitely true and I'd always choose to build my own if it was for myself but Burren asked for a pre-built. Been building my own PCs since the 486 era but I'm coming around to the idea of pre-builts somewhat as I don't find myself upgrading PCs nearly as much as I once did. Any worthwhile CPU upgrade now requires a new mainboard and RAM anyway so by that time you're halfway to just building a new PC from scratch. I either sell the old one as a running system or downgrade it to secondary use. No longer pirating games/DVDs so I'm not constantly adding HDDs anymore either.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yea that's definitely true and I'd always choose to build my own if it was for myself but Burren asked for a pre-built. Been building my own PCs since the 486 era but I'm coming around to the idea of pre-builts somewhat as I don't find myself upgrading PCs nearly as much as I once did. Any worthwhile CPU upgrade now requires a new mainboard and RAM anyway so by that time you're halfway to just building a new PC from scratch. I either sell the old one as a running system or downgrade it to secondary use. No longer pirating games/DVDs so I'm not constantly adding HDDs anymore either.

My point was more to avoid big computer manufacturers and stick with companies that build PCs with off the shelf parts. That way it's easier to upgrade or just replace parts once it's out of warranty.

As far as CPU upgrades requiring a new mobo and ram, that depends. I doubt DDR5 will be replaced any time soon and AMD has a decent track record of not changing sockets frequently. If that holds, this would probably be a good time if you want to get the longest life out of an AMD build.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My point was more to avoid big computer manufacturers and stick with companies that build PCs with off the shelf parts. That way it's easier to upgrade or just replace parts once it's out of warranty.

As far as CPU upgrades requiring a new mobo and ram, that depends. I doubt DDR5 will be replaced any time soon and AMD has a decent track record of not changing sockets frequently. If that holds, this would probably be a good time if you want to get the longest life out of an AMD build.
yea, just googled random hp i7 motherboard
e8d80b8538f8f0184308feef3eb9db27.jpg

proprietary power supply, is it a server board? no, atx and theres even ps2 connections/hdmi, etc

so if you buy pre-built hp (maybe dell?), not like you can upgrade shit anyway