Desktop Computers

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Stopped in to pour one out for an old friend.
Back in 2010/11 built a "leet" gaming rig. Eventually stopped gaming and passed it along to my wife to use for her business.

Last night it started acting odd and at first getting red squiggly lines on the screen and then eventually Windows wouldn't load. Turns out my EVGA 460GTX finally gave up the ghost.

Almost 12/13 years out of that card. I'm just gonna keep the 850 ps, the case (old school Cooler Master HAF 932), the back up cavier spin drives and replace the rest.

Thanks for your service 460GTX.

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Stopped in to pour one out for an old friend.
Back in 2010/11 built a "leet" gaming rig. Eventually stopped gaming and passed it along to my wife to use for her business.

Last night it started acting odd and at first getting red squiggly lines on the screen and then eventually Windows wouldn't load. Turns out my EVGA 460GTX finally gave up the ghost.

Almost 12/13 years out of that card. I'm just gonna keep the 850 ps, the case (old school Cooler Master HAF 932), the back up cavier spin drives and replace the rest.

Thanks for your service 460GTX.

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

starcraft-hell-its-about-time.gif

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
$180 for a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro might become the standard as the 990 comes out

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Finally got everything installed on my new mini pc. New desk is in place. If nothing breaks down in the next few days I will pop hd out of old pc and donate it to goodwill.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Piecing together a "new" PC after 12 years. Is Newegg/Ebay the best place to buy used stuff? Trying to not spend much as I dont game a lot anymore and dont need the best gear anymore. Coworker hooked me up with a mobo, cpu and ram. Just need a new gpu and power supply.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Piecing together a "new" PC after 12 years. Is Newegg/Ebay the best place to buy used stuff? Trying to not spend much as I dont game a lot anymore and dont need the best gear anymore. Coworker hooked me up with a mobo, cpu and ram. Just need a new gpu and power supply.
I shop them all and look for sales on the various parts. I start with NewEgg.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
reddit.com/r/hardwareswap is the best place to buy used stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

In addition to what others have already stated, if you have a MicroCenter nearby, start there for your CPU and motherboard at the very least, because generally speaking their combo deals on those are unbeatable from a price POV.

MicroCenter employees are also usually way more knowledgeable than ones you‘d find at Best Buy et al. A lot of customers in the DIY section are enthusiasts and also love helping first-timers and newbies as well (although this may vary by location.)

Some of their other components tend to be a little higher in price than Newegg and Amazon, but I usually try to buy at least one component other than the CPU+mobo from them so that they can make a little profit.

gak

<Gold Donor>
3.jpg

Intel 700-Series Motherboards For 12th & 13th Gen CPUs Rumored To Have Buggy I226-V 2.5GbE Ethernet Controller

Intel's 700-series motherboards for 12th & 13th Gen CPUs are rumored to feature a faulty I226-V Ethernet LAN controller, reports TechPowerUp. Intel, Microsoft, ASUS, & some Reddit communities say random drops in their connection, leading users and designers to wonder if the controller has a design flaw. Intel has not made an official statement regarding the issue, but it is also not a new issue for the company.

The I225-V controller, the predecessor to the I226-V, was also found flawed, such as network connection drops and losses in performance. The spots were hardware-related, meaning the hardware would need replacement instead of updating the firmware. Intel released the I225-V2 controller to update the hardware and alleviate the issues from the prior version. Still, users did not want to purchase an updated board for the problems and lowered the connection to 1GbE instead of the total amount.

It is reported that the current I226-V drops in connections do not last long and are quick to be solved, but they can be noticeable when gaming, large file downloads, and some conference calls. For users looking to witness the connection drops in real-time, you can look at the "Windows Logs" in the "Windows Event Viewer" and then click on "System."

Additionally, you can look at the "e2fnexpress" file and look for both Event 27 and Event 32 error mentions. There are no current driver updates that will currently fix the issue, and TechPowerUp did attempt the 1 GbE, as mentioned earlier, workaround but was unsuccessful in completely resolving the issue.

Some higher-priced motherboards from the Raptor Lake 700-series have dual Ethernet controllers on the motherboard and can change to one of the third-party controller options from the company's Realtek and Marvell or use the Wi-Fi integration on the board instead.

However, if you have a less expensive motherboard, users will be expected to pay additional money to purchase a wireless adapter or a PCIe network adapter for their PC system.

1.gif

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I upgraded my computer recently and decided to take apart my old one to sell out the parts and saw this. I guess maybe I should have cleaned it more often...

Note: There was a fan attached to this, so that's partly why it accumulated there.

20230122_123923.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Barf
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The PC gods look at you with disgust and contempt.
In some small fairness to me, I had cleaned out my case before, I just never thought to take the fan off the cooler and blow it out. *cries*

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic