Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Time to replace my almost 10 year old gaming PC. Trying to keep it at ~$3,000.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C7WPpH

Would really love some input on the cooler and motherboard especially. Also, do I need a new copy of windows for a new build or could I somehow use the same key twice? I'm clueless.
the cooler is pretty and has quality of life stuff like daisy chain fans and will give high performance, a better/cheaper performing will be
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 - Multi Compatible All-in-One CPU AIO Water Cooler, Compatible with Intel & AMD, Efficient PWM Controlled Pump, Fan Speed: 200-1800 RPM, LGA1700 compatible - Black

for comparison, they also have a bling bling version too

debauer thought the deepcool was good, you'd get more performance out of the freezer ii

deepcool makes good stuff, i have a ak620 and it performs as good as my chonky be quiet dark pro4

yes you can use the same key, until microsoft tells you, you too much shit changed, sometimes you can, sometimes you can't

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Time to replace my almost 10 year old gaming PC. Trying to keep it at ~$3,000.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C7WPpH

Would really love some input on the cooler and motherboard especially. Also, do I need a new copy of windows for a new build or could I somehow use the same key twice? I'm clueless.
Mini PC uber alles. Minisforum UM690 with 32gb ram and 1tb ssd. Fucker is amazeballs. Been using mine for a month or so now, and as of 5 minutes ago I pulled gpus and hd/ssds out of the 3 desktops I still had lying around so they can go to goodwill. RTX 3070 is now sitting in my egpu enclosure so my mini pc isn't using it's integrated stuff all day long and becoming a toaster. Was also able to scavenge an asus turbo gtx 1060 6gb from one of the other pcs as a backup. I also have a laptop and macbook pro in case my cpu shits the bed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure what the low price point on these are - but the Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB and the WD 850x 2 TB are $159 at Best Buy - seems pretty low for what I’ve seen lately.

And the 980 with heat sink is $179.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just got an enclosure to slap my old nvme drive into. So now I have another tiny as fuck external drive. Going to purge the older externals I had and then off to goodwill for them as well.

Beware that Samsung 980 PRO, I heard they had some pretty serious production issues with those. But yes, 2tb drives are very affordable now.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I had just bought the WD 850x 2TB for my desktop, grabbed the 980 Pro 2 TB and a separate heat sink for my PS5.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Samsung has gotten some bad press lately on the SSDs, probably has something to do with the price drop.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I guess I need an external enclosure to flash a new drive to fix whatever issue is going on? Seems a pita to mount it on a motherboard, take it back out, and put it in the PS5.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I guess I need an external enclosure to flash a new drive to fix whatever issue is going on? Seems a pita to mount it on a motherboard, take it back out, and put it in the PS5.
Most of those external enclosures don't support firmware updates, you're probably better off buying
and slotting it into a PCIE slot.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
7.jpg

Intel Releases New Driver To Mitigate I226 & I225 Ethernet Controller Issues

Intel is releasing a new driver to mitigate the connection drop issues faced by customers running boards with I226 & I225 ethernet controllers.

Back in January, it was reported that the Intel I226-V Ethernet controller was affected by the same bug that was found within the older I225-V chip. What happened was that the controller randomly dropped the connection and sometimes didn't even make the Ethernet port run on certain PCs. It was an issue most prevalent on the Intel 700-series motherboards which were launched along with the Intel 13th Gen desktop CPU family.

Intel has reproduced the issue and is diligently working on a root cause and fix. For any of our customers experiencing this problem, a mitigation option to explore is to disable the “Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)” mode in the Advanced Windows/ Linux driver setting. We believe this should help. We are continuing to assess the situation and will follow-up accordingly.

Intel released a small workaround to mitigate the problem last month and it looks like the same mitigations have now been implemented on the driver level within the new driver package for the 700-series motherboards. As published by MSI's HQ Technical Marketing over in the MSI Gaming subreddit, we can see that the new driver is now available on the product pages of various boards (the following is from the product support page of the MSI MEG Z790 ACE motherboard):
8.jpg

I did a quick check with the new drivers and it seems like the issue has been resolved for now as before, I had to restart the PC to make it work correctly but that wasn't the case with the newest drivers. With that said, it should be noted that mitigation doesn't necessarily mean a proper fix and if the problem is really on the hardware side, then a new revision of the chip must be issued to fully address the problem. Hardware leaker, chi11eddog, reports that Intel is still doing an investigation on the issue and plans to provide a robust solution soon:
9.jpg

Motherboard makers should be updating their product pages with the same driver for the I226 and I225 Ethernet controllers. MSI is definitely the first to offer them so others should follow suit too.

10.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users