Desktop Computers

Jovec

?
8meg was pretty baller on a 486, did you have 4 and upgrade or come w/ 8?

I bought it with it. No sound card though, added my SB16 later, and after than a Roland MIDI daughter card for that sweet Doom soundtrack, and somewhere in there I added a CD-ROM Drive and dial-up modem. System was a prebuilt from Gateway - 486 DX/66, 40MB HDD, 8MB, 15" flat glass CRT, keyboard, mouse for around $2k.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bought it with it. No sound card though, added my SB16 later, and after than a Roland MIDI daughter card for that sweet Doom soundtrack, and somewhere in there I added a CD-ROM Drive and dial-up modem. System was a prebuilt from Gateway - 486 DX/66, 40MB HDD, 8MB, 15" flat glass CRT, keyboard, mouse for around $2k.
holy shit did yours have a lock n key?

my friend gave me her old gateway dx/66 in 99 i think, i made it into a diablo2 server? and/or eq healer bot
eedb7f1e5624691df70a84e04be3b3f9.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Someone let me play with their TRS-80 when I was 4 and gave it to me when I was 6 or 7. Didn't really teach myself BASIC until I was 8 but I could load the stuff from tapes myself before then. I didn't get a real computer until my 486 50mhz SX2 which was a complete and total useless piece of shit, which is why I decided to learn everything about computers so I would never end up with a useless piece of shit computer ever again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?
holy shit did yours have a lock n key?

my friend gave me her old gateway dx/66 in 99 i think, i made it into a diablo2 server? and/or eq healer bot
eedb7f1e5624691df70a84e04be3b3f9.png

I think that was the system. I just had a 3.5" floppy drive until I added the CD drive, and maybe a second 3.5" for copying disks. I would have bought it in 93 or 94. Thing was a tank too - survived the 94 Northridge quake where the monitor flew off the top and was only held on by the vga cable screws.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think that was the system. I just had a 3.5" floppy drive until I added the CD drive, and maybe a second 3.5" for copying disks. I would have bought it in 93 or 94. Thing was a tank too - survived the 94 Northridge quake where the monitor flew off the top and was only held on by the vga cable screws.
yea cases were made of steel back then

and remember those cases were extra thicc, cuz you put the heavy ass crt on top of it.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
VIC20, MSX-2, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, 486dx100

I wonder how the world today would have looked if Commodore hadn't ruined itself by mismanagement. The Amiga platform was way ahead of PCs in user friendliness and technological capability and only a lack of investment allowed PCs to catch up. Microsoft might have had some competition.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So I'm going through a computer dilemma.

My PC is an Intel I5-6600 with a GTX 1080FE paired with an Alienware 3418DW.

It honestly does what I need but I'm getting the upgrade itch and wondering what I should I do.

I keep hearing that the Nvidia 40 series are overpriced and not a great value but based on my upgrade habits, I'd probably be good for another 7-8 years with a 4080/90.

I've looked at the AMD 7900xtx as well which seems better valued but makes me fear I'm going to miss out on the high end.

Anyway, someone tell me what to do.
If you want to waste money for the sake of wasting money I would highly suggest waiting for the next iteration of these.

The next gen should have a 7940hs processor and radeon 7xxx something or other GPU.

If you have to spend now now now then I would suggest this.

I have a UM690 with 32gb ram and 1tb ssd. For everything that isn't a AAA title it is more than enough.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yea cases were made of steel back then

and remember those cases were extra thicc, cuz you put the heavy ass crt on top of it.
Wait, my moms Gateway had that little key thing. What was that for?... (I could just google it I guess. But maybe someone else is/was curious, too!)
If you want to waste money for the sake of wasting money I would highly suggest waiting for the next iteration of these.

The next gen should have a 7940hs processor and radeon 7xxx something or other GPU.

If you have to spend now now now then I would suggest this.

I have a UM690 with 32gb ram and 1tb ssd. For everything that isn't a AAA title it is more than enough.
I will probably replace my office PC with something like that. But for w/e reason, the GTX 970 in my office PC is still pushing through 99% of the games I play just fine with its low 60mhz/1080p monitors. Its definitely at the end of its life though, as Im starting to see games where the minimum spec is finally 1060 or something similar. I'd experiment with higher end parts, but that old z97 motherboard cant handle anything more than whats in it already.

Makes me laugh that its lasted this long - but hell, my media PC is top of the line for consumer products (4090/13900) right now and I bet it would last just as long as the 970 PC did, if not longer, if I just stopped updating shit. I may just do that unless the 50x0 series can really bring something new to the table or games start doing something more niche in the graphics department. The new Ray Tracing shit looks great, but its being show cased on Cyberpunk 2077. CP2077 was "ok" in my book - and thats kind of what Im getting at. Nothing is out there that I personally, really enjoy for the type of money Im throwing at PC's. At least you could brag about being able to run Crysis back in the day lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wait, my moms Gateway had that little key thing. What was that for?... (I could just google it I guess. But maybe someone else is/was curious, too!)

I will probably replace my office PC with something like that. But for w/e reason, the GTX 970 in my office PC is still pushing through 99% of the games I play just fine with its low 60mhz/1080p monitors. Its definitely at the end of its life though, as Im starting to see games where the minimum spec is finally 1060 or something similar. I'd experiment with higher end parts, but that old z97 motherboard cant handle anything more than whats in it already.

Makes me laugh that its lasted this long - but hell, my media PC is top of the line for consumer products (4090/13900) right now and I bet it would last just as long as the 970 PC did, if not longer, if I just stopped updating shit. I may just do that unless the 50x0 series can really bring something new to the table or games start doing something more niche in the graphics department. The new Ray Tracing shit looks great, but its being show cased on Cyberpunk 2077. CP2077 was "ok" in my book - and thats kind of what Im getting at. Nothing is out there that I personally, really enjoy for the type of money Im throwing at PC's. At least you could brag about being able to run Crysis back in the day lol.
i was to lock the case from being open

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just dropped a boatload of money at MicroCenter. Ironically, spent about the same amount to get all the best stuff I did in 2020; the power of COVID I guess.

Will post pics of boxes when I get home.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Nice. Case?

It's one thing that makes me sad about where I live, no micro center in town. I think the closest is about 4-5 hours away.
image.jpg

I actually stopped at one on the way back from a golf trip. It’s not wildly far, but definitely not convenient.