Desktop Computers

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I had my 2nd monitor die. No power to it all. Went through troubleshooting(new power cable, checked outlet with another device, HDMI cable works on other monitor to same spot on gpu etc). So figure its dead. And I decide I will just get rid of it(10 years old) and finally buy a 1440 monitor(as I can see myself running that after I build new PC this year).

My first thought after some intial research is : GIGABYTE M27Q PRO. It's just sold out everywhere it seems. Anything that compares to that and in that price range(~$300), or any other reccomendations? Seems 1440p and around 165hz is what I can get for that price range in 27".

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
shit, i don't think it was even until pentium 166's that they started to glue (yes glue) heatsinks and fans to cpus
0b62707b0f122a7c5b12458fa82a06c6.png

i'm pretty sure the dx100's probably had em cuz they ran really hot

Those whiny little fans sucked so bad. Last PC build I had to decide between AMD and Intel and I went for Intel for no reason other than all the AMD motherboards had one of those little chipset fans on it.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I
So I had my 2nd monitor die. No power to it all. Went through troubleshooting(new power cable, checked outlet with another device, HDMI cable works on other monitor to same spot on gpu etc). So figure its dead. And I decide I will just get rid of it(10 years old) and finally buy a 1440 monitor(as I can see myself running that after I build new PC this year).

My first thought after some intial research is : GIGABYTE M27Q PRO. It's just sold out everywhere it seems. Anything that compares to that and in that price range(~$300), or any other reccomendations? Seems 1440p and around 165hz is what I can get for that price range in 27".
I'm really happy with my LG GP850 27". Its the best monitor i have owned. I paid like 450 euros for it here in Europe but it goes up and down in price a lot.

I'm no monitor nerd though and know next to nothing about them!

Daidraco

Holy crap! I JUST took those out last month for no reason other than I wanted a 90 degree angle. No I'm wondering if the new ones I purchased are worth the risk.

Says in the comments that the pink ones dont have any problems. You should be good to go!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Done with my computer's platform upgrade! God bless AM4; had this board since 2017, and will probably be good for another 5 years.

3600X --> 5800X3D
RX 5700 -> Used RTX 3080
512 GB 960 Evo --> 2 TB 970 Evo Plus

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Says in the comments that the pink ones dont have any problems. You should be good to go!

One day in the not so distant future, the worlds survival will rely on your gentle touch and caress of Mist Mist 's balls. And you will do it to save the ones you love.

You summa bitch!

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Daidraco

Too slow - 12000+ or bust.
I dont think Im "that" out of touch. :p

I have a 990 Pro matched with all the newest bells and whistles and its the only part I took from my old PC before selling that one. I "feel" like my PS5 is loading some of the same shit quicker than my PC.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Im not even sure they thought about ventilation on some of those computers. First Windows PC we had was a Gateway 2000 P5-60. That PC weighed probably 70-80 pounds and just had a single (shitty) ventilation mesh at the power supply. But it ran Warcraft, Diablo, C&C and more on it and that was just fine. (The bottom of the front is not a vent in the traditional sense.)
gateway-2000-baby-at-p5-60-p60-mhz-8mb-ram-406mb-hdd-desktop-pc-1.35__73935.1490165664.jpg
gateway-2000-baby-at-p5-60-p60-mhz-8mb-ram-406mb-hdd-desktop-pc-4.35__02097.1490165669.jpg
My first PC was a Tandy 1000 TX. 640kb ram 10mb hd. CGA graphics.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Varrus

Trakanon Raider
My first PC was a Tandy 1000 TX. 640kb ram 10mb hd. CGA graphics.
I had the Tandy 1000 EX for my first, I had Tandy 16 color (Tandy's EGA) but the game needed to support that color spectrum. You sure that TX only had CGA?

Anyways the good times, I remember upgrading the ram from 256K to 640K, lol like $400 bucks or some shit back in the 80s.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I had the Tandy 1000 EX for my first, I had Tandy 16 color (Tandy's EGA) but the game needed to support that color spectrum. You sure that TX only had CGA?

Anyways the good times, I remember upgrading the ram from 256K to 640K, lol like $400 bucks or some shit back in the 80s.
Pretty sure, but not 100%. I know it had a 3.5" and 5.25" floppy and a 286 processor. I know it wasn't until my next computer that I got into VGA.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
So I'm going through a computer dilemma.

My PC is an Intel I5-6600 with a GTX 1080FE paired with an Alienware 3418DW.

It honestly does what I need but I'm getting the upgrade itch and wondering what I should I do.

I keep hearing that the Nvidia 40 series are overpriced and not a great value but based on my upgrade habits, I'd probably be good for another 7-8 years with a 4080/90.

I've looked at the AMD 7900xtx as well which seems better valued but makes me fear I'm going to miss out on the high end.

Anyway, someone tell me what to do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I'm going through a computer dilemma.

My PC is an Intel I5-6600 with a GTX 1080FE paired with an Alienware 3418DW.

It honestly does what I need but I'm getting the upgrade itch and wondering what I should I do.

I keep hearing that the Nvidia 40 series are overpriced and not a great value but based on my upgrade habits, I'd probably be good for another 7-8 years with a 4080/90.

I've looked at the AMD 7900xtx as well which seems better valued but makes me fear I'm going to miss out on the high end.

Anyway, someone tell me what to do.
You should definitely be upgrading that CPU. Get a 13600K. Everything else can probably wait, though the 4070 is a pretty good card for the price. I cannot recommend a 4080 at the current price.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Used market for 30x series seems to be in a good spot if that's on the table. Seems like moving to a card with higher amounts of memory is becoming more of a concern with modern games so may be something to watch for (ex: shy away from 8gig cards).

Jovec

?

Me: Needs a project so I buy a bunch of pointless upgrades for my game system (5800X3D --> 7800X3D, 6950 XT to 7900XTX).
Internet one day later: AM5 CPUs are getting so hot the substrate is bulging and CPUs are dieing.

DerBauer has an Asus statement talking about manual Vcore control along with Expo and SoC voltage potentially being an issue (and they nuked older BIOS revs from their site). Might be best to update Bios to the latest and run memory at stock until this sorts itself out. Keep in mind that running Expo/XMP generally voids warranty. Buildzoid was leaning towards Vcore being the only rail that can pull enough power to bulge the substrate - so, something is bugged/broken/shorted, but the CPU protections don't kick in and the mobo just keeps pushing more and more vcore in. Seems to be happening across both regular AM5 and X3D variants, and across mobo makers (initial thoughts were X3D only and Asus only).

Recall that AM4 X3D officially had locked vcore. At launch though many mobo makers did allow vcore adjustments that were later patched out in future bios revisions. I think mobo makers are also trying to skirt around all of this in order to bench better at stock in reviews and/or differentiate. Every board I have had in the last 5+ years seems to pushing way too much voltage at Auto settings in order to get that +1%.

Last edited: