Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My pc is 415 years old now and starting to struggle. It’s having odd stutter shit going on in games that shouldn’t be all that demanding. I’ve done some minor stuff like updating to the latest BIOS and a deeper interior dust clean.

Have a 3700X so was looking at maybe updating the MOBO, cpu, and move to DDR5 RAM. I only have an RTX3070 at the moment but thought I’d try updating that last since 5x0x is on the horizon and they’re such an expensive single component. I guess if my problems are being caused by the low vram I should look at that first, but the stuff I play doesn’t seem to be using much.

Looking at 7800X3D, ASUS Rog strix B650 A Gaming board, which seems priced kind of high but it has the best reviews for this chipset that I could see. And idk fuck all about RAM, I’ve just read DDR5-6000 seems to be what people say the sweet spot is for DDR5. So I guess G Skill ripjaws, which I’ve used in the past without issue.

Any recommendations for some other board or RAM to pair with the 7800X3D?
Have you thought about 5800x3d and using ram to 32 or even 64?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
AMD needs to lead on a software feature instead of being the "Me too" side with a shittier implemenation.
This is my main issue with AMD's GPUs and why I plan on switching back to Nvidia for the 5xxx series. Adrenalin is just such a giant, unintuitive piece of shit and so inferior compared to GeForce Experience/Windows integration from Nvidia.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Have you thought about 5800x3d and using ram to 32 or even 64?
I have 32gb RAM already. The VRAM on the RTX3070 is what I was saying was low.

The 5800x3d seemed like kind of a small upgrade for the price compared to what I’ve got. If that isn’t the issue it would be a large pointless purchase is why I didn’t think going that route would be worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I have 32gb RAM already. The VRAM on the RTX3070 is what I was saying was low.

The 5800x3d seemed like kind of a small upgrade for the price compared to what I’ve got. If that isn’t the issue it would be a large pointless purchase is why I didn’t think going that route would be worth the hassle.
I'm eyeballing a 5800X3D hard and you wouldn't think it was a big upgrade over a 5600x .... but it is. The huge vcache of the X3D line will easily keep your system punching above its weight class for a couple more years. At this time they are top of the AM4 price/performance. Will most likely have to flash to latest bios firmware to use it, keep that in mind.

You are right though, high resolution textures in modern games (especially 4k) demand more than 8gb vRAM.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I can imagine this affecting multiple people on this forum so I'm going to post it here:

Glad I dodged that bullet. I didn't even consider intel this build cycle. They are basically backing themselves into a corner like the did with the pesshot P4's.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Does anyone on here have any experiences , good or bad , with Beelink Mini PC's? I need to replace my living room HTPC front end and I'm looking on the lower end of things since it's really just something to push 4k movie rips off of a network connected HDD. Needs to do 4k but that should not be a problem, the Celeron J3455 POS I bought in '19 can do it.
Not so much worried about support, as I am getting a piece of junk. Never heard of them but the review sites are not knocking them, I just don't trust 'reviews'. I do trust all of your opinions.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone on here have any experiences , good or bad , with Beelink Mini PC's? I need to replace my living room HTPC front end and I'm looking on the lower end of things since it's really just something to push 4k movie rips off of a network connected HDD. Needs to do 4k but that should not be a problem, the Celeron J3455 POS I bought in '19 can do it.
Not so much worried about support, as I am getting a piece of junk. Never heard of them but the review sites are not knocking them, I just don't trust 'reviews'. I do trust all of your opinions.

Not used them personally but I’ve heard they’re pretty decent. I was eyeballing one of their AMD ones awhile back.

bolok

Trakanon Raider

Not used them personally but I’ve heard they’re pretty decent. I was eyeballing one of their AMD ones awhile back.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
TIL discord has a 64-bit version nobody fucking knows about:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Discord needs to die anyways, tried to be far more than it should and now they want to be an ad platform? Never should happen with a text/voice comms.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ventrilo till i die!
1713132272350.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I finally put in the time today to gut my old, old case, then move my current pc’s guts down in order to fill it with a full system upgrade. Took me the better part of the day, but so worth it. It’s not a dream machine for anyone here, but a solid upgrade that should last me a good while (Ryzen 7600x with a Radeon 7800xt). Definitely more than enough for 1440p gaming, which is plenty for me and my budget.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I finally put in the time today to gut my old, old case, then move my current pc’s guts down in order to fill it with a full system upgrade. Took me the better part of the day, but so worth it. It’s not a dream machine for anyone here, but a solid upgrade that should last me a good while (Ryzen 7600x with a Radeon 7800xt). Definitely more than enough for 1440p gaming, which is plenty for me and my budget.
Bro. I spent 4k on mine last year. I play fucking games like EQ TLP's and WoW. Complete waste of money and I could have spent a 1/3rd of that and been just as happy. Congrats on you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Bro. I spent 4k on mine last year. I play fucking games like EQ TLP's and WoW. Complete waste of money and I could have spent a 1/3rd of that and been just as happy. Congrats on you.

No man, you did gods work. Better to be prepared for anything than be underprepared!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
First time using an AIO in...like a decade? Amusing that the temps werent too far from my triple rad custom loop. It's actually fairly depressing when you think about it. Then again my current room does have higher ambient temps due to FL. Cant wait to leave and have another furnished basement.