Desktop Computers

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
First time using an AIO in...like a decade? Amusing that the temps werent too far from my triple rad custom loop. It's actually fairly depressing when you think about it. Then again my current room does have higher ambient temps due to FL. Cant wait to leave and have another furnished basement.
Cost/time & maintenance of a water loop system vs pop in AIO and go for around the same temps = no brainer for me. My new system with the red devil 7900 xtx is the first build in a long time that I didn't buy a GPU with an AIO loop.

Custom ones look better 1000%

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There really is no maintenance, if you use clear coolant you can leave that shit in forever - The real issue is the cost.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I haven’t flushed my clear loop in a year and it’s still fine. The dyes definitely clog quickly and cause issues. I used like 5 drops of some red dye 2 years ago on a prior loop and my cpu block had a bunch of clogging from the fallout.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is an 850watt power supply enough to run modern cards on a 5900x? This 6700XT is getting long in the tooth for modern games and I want to squeeze several more years out of this system. I run a decent amount of RGB. So, that eats up some wattage, but not sure that it's enough to matter? I'd like to stay with AMD, but Adrenalin is just absolute ass IMO. I'm thinking of swapping over to nVidia, but it's probably best to wait on the 5xxx series, no?

Furthermore, how much of a difference is a 5800x3D going to make over my 5900x?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Higher tier 850w PSUs handle everything below 4090, but if you currently have a 4090 you are probably buying a 50xx so you might want a 1000w to cover yourself for the next few years.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
Furthermore, how much of a difference is a 5800x3D going to make over my 5900x?

5800X3D is the best gaming CPU you can get for AM4. The actual improvement over your 5900X will vary based on different factors. Average FPS gains will vary based on resolution, GPU power, and settings used. In general, the better the GPU you have and the lower the resolution you game at, the bigger the gains you will get over your 5900X. Conversely, with a mid-range GPU, 4K res, and all the eye-candy turned on, you might not see much improvement in average FPS. But 1% lows will be better, which means smoother frame rates and less stuttering.

The 5800X3D has been out for a while now, so buying one today really depends on how long you plan to keep your AM4 system. When it launched it was the best gaming CPU, bar none. Today, you can match 5800X3D performance with a ~$300 7700x on AM5, and the ~$200 7600x comes close. The IPC, MHz, and DDR5 gains of AM5 have negated some of the 5800X3D cache advantage. It's your money - upgrade today then upgrade again tomorrow if you want to like Xexx Xexx , but I suppose what matters is 1) if you are happy with your current CPU performance and 2) when you expect to make your next platform upgrade.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
5800X3D is the best gaming CPU you can get for AM4. The actual improvement over your 5900X will vary based on different factors. Average FPS gains will vary based on resolution, GPU power, and settings used. In general, the better the GPU you have and the lower the resolution you game at, the bigger the gains you will get over your 5900X. Conversely, with a mid-range GPU, 4K res, and all the eye-candy turned on, you might not see much improvement in average FPS. But 1% lows will be better, which means smoother frame rates and less stuttering.

The 5800X3D has been out for a while now, so buying one today really depends on how long you plan to keep your AM4 system. When it launched it was the best gaming CPU, bar none. Today, you can match 5800X3D performance with a ~$300 7700x on AM5, and the ~$200 7600x comes close. The IPC, MHz, and DDR5 gains of AM5 have negated some of the 5800X3D cache advantage. It's your money - upgrade today then upgrade again tomorrow if you want to like Xexx Xexx , but I suppose what matters is 1) if you are happy with your current CPU performance and 2) when you expect to make your next platform upgrade.
I upgrade because repeatedly because i want to. I dont even play games or do anything on the systems 80% of the time either, its more therapeutic. The fun of upgrading isnt really for gaming, its more so (for me) just to fuck with new parts. I started a build in the NCORE Max, but i want to fit a 5090 in it, so i need to wait to see if the FE variant will be bigger than the 4090 FE.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
but i want to fit a 5090 in it, so i need to wait to see if the FE variant will be bigger than the 4090 FE.
Sitting here looking at the 4090 and struggling to imagine where it would go if they made it longer. Fatter, I dont care. But if it gets any longer.. well, actually that might solve the sag issue if we can just attach it to the other side of the case. Instead of these fucking K'Nex pieces that come with them, now. The standard ones look awful.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sitting here looking at the 4090 and struggling to imagine where it would go if they made it longer. Fatter, I dont care. But if it gets any longer.. well, actually that might solve the sag issue if we can just attach it to the other side of the case. Instead of these fucking K'Nex pieces that come with them, now. The standard ones look awful.
i wonder when desktops will get back into fashion, it would take a LOT of stress off gpus and air cpus
maxresdefault.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jovec

?
Factory AIO models. The PCB is very small, the rest is 90% cooler, and 10% "bigger GPU is better" marketing mentality.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
I upgrade because repeatedly because i want to. I dont even play games or do anything on the systems 80% of the time either, its more therapeutic. The fun of upgrading isnt really for gaming, its more so (for me) just to fuck with new parts. I started a build in the NCORE Max, but i want to fit a 5090 in it, so i need to wait to see if the FE variant will be bigger than the 4090 FE.
I was just teasing. I'm the same way, although probably not to your extreme. 7800X3D/7900XTX sitting right beside me that I've booted up maybe twice this year. Currently have 5 systems sitting around me in my home office (workstation, two gamers, Proxmox VM for NAS/Firewall/etc, and backup NAS that I need to move offsite), plus a HTPC and laptop I don't need (with a framework 16 otw).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I was just teasing. I'm the same way, although probably not to your extreme. 7800X3D/7900XTX sitting right beside me that I've booted up maybe twice this year. Currently have 5 systems sitting around me in my home office (workstation, two gamers, Proxmox VM for NAS/Firewall/etc, and backup NAS that I need to move offsite), plus a HTPC and laptop I don't need (with a framework 16 otw).

Yeah didnt take it personal or anything, i just like building so i just keep upgrading. I mainly play TFT on my surface laptop more than anything else.

Curious anyone know of a good NUC style PC that has a good dedicated GPU on part with a 2080Ti or so?

Jovec

?
Yeah didnt take it personal or anything, i just like building so i just keep upgrading. I mainly play TFT on my surface laptop more than anything else.

Curious anyone know of a good NUC style PC that has a good dedicated GPU on part with a 2080Ti or so?

All the rage today seems to be truly small AMD IGP systems, but if you are looking to build something with a dedicated GPU I'd start with the Fractal Terra case. Seems clean and a bit less annoying than the really small SFF cases, though it will still require some parts research. GPU width vs CPU cooler height can be adjusted, trading one for the other. Top end product lines might not fight (or might not leave enough space for CPU cooler) but the step down ones often will (i.e. Sapphire Nitro line might not fit, but the Pure and Pulse line probably will).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Good video, and some shady shit - once you go black, you never go back to EK - thats for sure - never again.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I’m planning on getting a new computer soon and just saying fuck it and going prebuilt but that means probably being stuck with Win11. Is it possible to roll it back to 10 somehow afterwards?

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I’m planning on getting a new computer soon and just saying fuck it and going prebuilt but that means probably being stuck with Win11. Is it possible to roll it back to 10 somehow afterwards?
Format and wipe if you have a Win 10 copy/key. Swap out the boot up drive with one for the OS only, my friend does that 500 GB boot drive with OS only and other drives for everything else.

• 1Like