Desktop Computers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The details around this are pretty funny. Factorio's optimizations are ridiculous and they are bottlenecked by the size of the CPU cache, even to the point where the CPU is often idle because it's waiting for memory to be loaded into the cache. The 7800X3D has a monster CPU cache so if it can store your entire factory in it, your updates per second can get ridiculous.

Conversely, once your factory exceeds the size of your CPU cache, other processors start to catch up.

The 7950X3D has better specs, but only certain cores can access the CPU cache or some shit I don't remember, so it frequently performs worse unless you monkey with CPU assignment using some tools.

You can see benchmarks of absurdely large factories here: FactorioBox Results

I'm leaning toward getting a 7800X3D

1712256865010.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
At this stage in the game id not buy a new cpu, or build shit. I'd wait till October for new releases, the only things im building out now are MadVR units. From my understanding new cpu's and gpu's are both coming out this year.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Then you also wait for the mobo support to be fleshed out for the newest gen, so might as well wait til next year unless there's some great discounts for the holidays.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Meh i dont wait on discounts or later BIOS. I just buy it and deal with it. I've not had any issues with being an early adopter in 20 years EXCEPT AMD video drivers like 8+ years ago. Fortunately AMD drivers are much better now. I didnt move from 13900k to 14900k because 0 reason. However i will get the 5090 and 15900k day 1 unless AMD pulls a rabbit out and become good.

If 5090 cant do 4k240 consistently i may actually do an all AMD build again since im mainly doing 1440p240 and my 4090 doesnt always hit the mark. No reason to upgrade monitor till GPUs can consistently hit 240hz on high resolution with graphics maxed.

If anyone says the 4090 can do it, theyre full of shit or not maxed on visuals (ignoring DLSS or AMD variant)

Daidraco

Meh i dont wait on discounts or later BIOS. I just buy it and deal with it. I've not had any issues with being an early adopter in 20 years EXCEPT AMD video drivers like 8+ years ago. Fortunately AMD drivers are much better now. I didnt move from 13900k to 14900k because 0 reason. However i will get the 5090 and 15900k day 1 unless AMD pulls a rabbit out and become good.

If 5090 cant do 4k240 consistently i may actually do an all AMD build again since im mainly doing 1440p240 and my 4090 doesnt always hit the mark. No reason to upgrade monitor till GPUs can consistently hit 240hz on high resolution with graphics maxed.

If anyone says the 4090 can do it, theyre full of shit or not maxed on visuals (ignoring DLSS or AMD variant)
240 in a real game? Not a fucking chance. The 5090 better do some impressive ass shit for me to buy one, though. Im just not that much of an enthusiast as you.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've started trying to game more on my Xbox and I think my PC upgrade days may be numbered... I have a 4090 now and I've never even pushed it, I wonder how much longer it'll be til gaming moves mostly to the cloud anyways?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
240 in a real game? Not a fucking chance. The 5090 better do some impressive ass shit for me to buy one, though. Im just not that much of an enthusiast as you.
Yeah I really enjoy the experience of building constantly. It’s mainly therapeutic at this point, but costly. Since I mainly only care about 1440p240hz, if it can hit that more consistently then I’ll get it day 1.

However real talk here, doesn’t it feel like AMD doesn’t try to challenge Nvidia like they do with intel? Them being related just makes me feel like this is intentional and will remain the status quo for the foreseeable future.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
What are the go to case choices now days if going with air cooling? AIO pump is shitting the bed and kind of want to change things up and try air cooling The coolers are chonky bois now days though so need a case that can fit their girth.

Update: After looking around think I might go with a phanteks nv5 or 7

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What are the go to case choices now days if going with air cooling? AIO pump is shitting the bed and kind of want to change things up and try air cooling The coolers are chonky bois now days though so need a case that can fit their girth.

Update: After looking around think I might go with a phanteks nv5 or 7

Check out the Fractal Torrent. Still a fantastic case.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Torrent is still my favorite case in the most recent years. I use the Nv7 because it was simpler to water cool but if i was going to air cool anything it would be in the Torrent handsdown.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Fucker

Log Wizard
Crossposting from the "AI" thread:

It begins. The enshittification of CPUs to cram in "NPUs" that aren't actually powerful enough to do anything but make Zoom calls prettier:

View attachment 524131
Apple has had NPU's in their chips for 7 years. It's pretty cool in the obvious things it does. Makes a little Macbook Air rip through video editing in Final Cut Pro. Useful things like sorting all my pictures, better voice recognition, enhanced search. Live text, it reads text in photos and copies it, and it works its magic on photos.

I do think MS will find a way to make it not very useful and for sure features will be fucked up or poorly supported across Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

Jovec

?
However real talk here, doesn’t it feel like AMD doesn’t try to challenge Nvidia like they do with intel? Them being related just makes me feel like this is intentional and will remain the status quo for the foreseeable future.

I think AMD is trying to challenge NV, but just can't. Nvidia is a bit like Apple, where everything they do is designed around selling their 1 or 2 core products. For Apple, that's iPhones and Macbooks. The Apple store is obviosuly big revenue too, but that revenue is predicated on someone owning the hardware. For Nvidia, it's almost all GPU based. The same tech is used in an A100 AI card as in a 4060. What NV does around that (like DLSS/etc) is still designed to sell GPUs. Even things like their Mellanox buy was just to sell high-speed networking to data centers to support AI cards.

In NV's 2023 "data center" revenue was $15b, the vast majority of which was AI cards. AMD's 2023 data center revenue was $6.5b, which was probably a 95/5% split between server CPUs and AI cards. Overall 2023 NV revenue was $27b compared to $22.7b for AMD. Easily 90% of NVs revenue was probably derived from GPU/AI sales and related products. Maybe 33% of AMD's revenue was derived from GPU/AI (per their earnigns report). NV also has a much higher gross margin. So in terms of where to spend money for development, AMD has less to spend and has to spend it across more areas.

The counter to this is that both companies earn enough to compete - it's not a David vs Goliath situation here. But it could be framed at AMD with $22.7b in revenue versus the $81b combined revenue of Intel and Nvidia.

I think the 7000 series under-performed compared to AMDs expectations and goals. The chiplet design may have given them the cost savings they were hoping for but the GPU core didn't have the performance. And it's a design they have to live with for years and years because of the cost and labor required for a modern GPU (including driver development). Maybe AMD can pull a Ryzen on the GPU side and refine their core across the 8000 and 9000 GPUs to better compete. This is no different from AMD and Intel on the CPU side. Intel is only now mostly caught up with AMD on ST and MT performance for consumer CPUs, but at 2x the power cost. And they still don't have anything in the workstation or server CPU space to compete in cores or effieiency.

And finally there is also the mindshare/marketing issue and real/perceived quality issues to address. AMD has been making strides here, but to Joe Random Nvidia is just better. I've had AMD GPUs for a long while - AMD 4870/50 through 7950/50 and 480, then NV for the 1000 through 3000 series, and now back to AMD for 6000/7000 series. I'm mainly AMD now for Linux integration, but for pure gaming I don't think my 7900XTX is any better than a 4080(s) - they will trade blows depending on the game but NV does have the better feature set. AMD needs to lead on a software feature instead of being the "Me too" side with a shittier implemenation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So is the 4080 Super the best bang for the buck for 4k gaming? I'm rocking a RTX3080/5800X and just picked up two 4k monitors and want to limp this pc along as long as I can before I have to build a new one.

Daidraco

So is the 4080 Super the best bang for the buck for 4k gaming? I'm rocking a RTX3080/5800X and just picked up two 4k monitors and want to limp this pc along as long as I can before I have to build a new one.
Whats your eta on the purchase? Because the 50x0 series is coming out 3rd or 4th quarter now, iirc.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Strictly speaking, the best fps/dollar measure usually ends up favoring lower end cards. For usable 4k gaming, I suggest you buy the most expensive card that you feel comfortable spending the money on.

1712817991386.png

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My pc is 4-5 years old now and starting to struggle. It’s having odd stutter shit going on in games that shouldn’t be all that demanding. I’ve done some minor stuff like updating to the latest BIOS and a deeper interior dust clean.

Have a 3700X so was looking at maybe updating the MOBO, cpu, and move to DDR5 RAM. I only have an RTX3070 at the moment but thought I’d try updating that last since 5x0x is on the horizon and they’re such an expensive single component. I guess if my problems are being caused by the low vram I should look at that first, but the stuff I play doesn’t seem to be using much.

Looking at 7800X3D, ASUS Rog strix B650 A Gaming board, which seems priced kind of high but it has the best reviews for this chipset that I could see. And idk fuck all about RAM, I’ve just read DDR5-6000 seems to be what people say the sweet spot is for DDR5. So I guess G Skill ripjaws, which I’ve used in the past without issue.

Any recommendations for some other board or RAM to pair with the 7800X3D?

Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My pc is 415 years old now and starting to struggle. It’s having odd stutter shit going on in games that shouldn’t be all that demanding. I’ve done some minor stuff like updating to the latest BIOS and a deeper interior dust clean.

Have a 3700X so was looking at maybe updating the MOBO, cpu, and move to DDR5 RAM. I only have an RTX3070 at the moment but thought I’d try updating that last since 5x0x is on the horizon and they’re such an expensive single component. I guess if my problems are being caused by the low vram I should look at that first, but the stuff I play doesn’t seem to be using much.

Looking at 7800X3D, ASUS Rog strix B650 A Gaming board, which seems priced kind of high but it has the best reviews for this chipset that I could see. And idk fuck all about RAM, I’ve just read DDR5-6000 seems to be what people say the sweet spot is for DDR5. So I guess G Skill ripjaws, which I’ve used in the past without issue.

Any recommendations for some other board or RAM to pair with the 7800X3D?
I'm running these on my brand new build w/o any issue.