Desktop Computers

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I was really hesitate to get it but my buddy who is a retardedly good CS player told me about it when I was drunk so I got it. Very very impressed with it so far.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Anyone know the factory warranty numbers on Samsung SSDs? Just bought a couple SanDisk SSDs for cheap and they come with 3 years, which surprised me.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
5 year for 850 EVO, 10 year for 850 Pro, but both cap out at 150 TB writes.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
OK, so anyone with a media server or any kind of reasonably sized business app will max out on writes before they get to 5/10 years, realistically.

And here I thought 3 years was good. Huh.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think you missed they key word of WRITES.

Media Servers get hammered in reads, not really writes. I've got a fuckton of 1080p DTS HD-MA movies and full HD TV series downloads and I think I am sitting at ~8TB for my entire collection that has taken years and is spread across multiple hard disks. Writing 150TB to one single SSD would take for fucking ever during normal use.

Jovec

?
OK, so anyone with a media server or any kind of reasonably sized business app will max out on writes before they get to 5/10 years, realistically.

And here I thought 3 years was good. Huh.
1) Ignore the P/E cycles / write limits.
2) Get an appropriate drive for the situation (consumer drive vs workstation/server drive)
3) Keep a suitable amount of free space to minimize write amplification
4) Profit

I haven't heard of anyone having a drive fail from exceeding P/E cycles under normal consumer usage scenarios. Sure, you can abuse a 128GB Evo in a write heavy server and have it die in a year or two, but that is not what the drive is made for. And if you are aware of the issues, even that situation can be fine - data centers use consumer grade drives all the time for cost reasons since even with a lower life-span they can still come out cheaper.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My Alienware Area-51 just arrived at work.

Damn box weight 63 pounds. That a heavy fucking machine. Good thing the ports are accessible or I'd break my back everytime I want to hook something up.
wink.png

Can't wait to bring this home tonight, and set it up.

First upgrade in 4.5 years, should be nice.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I was looking at Origin PC but can't justify the huge price point for the CPUs. Not to mention, they went the way of Alienware and started going plastic towers instead of being able to choose which tower you wanted.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Origin is simply insane on cost. (worse than Alienware, mostly because Alienware have been dilluted by Dell) They have to be nearly twice the price as a DIY.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I got home, unpacked and setup my new Alienware.

It works.
smile.png

Looks pretty cool and extremely quiet and cool, although haven't installed anything to really push it to see what the temperature and noise will be like, but nice so far.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alienware used to be what Origin is today. They were an independent company that built enthusiast level monster gaming computers that equally looked impressive. (Obviously if you wanted to burn money and / or couldn't build your own). Dell bought them out and has owned them for what's probably going on 10 years now. They don't offer anywhere near the customization or quality they once did.

Tolin_sl

shitlord
Hey guys, I think I'm finally going to upgrade my hunker of an old PC after 5 years.

How feasible is it to build a decent rig that can run the likes of PS2, etc. maxed out for under ~$800 bucks. Anyone have a build they've done recently in that price range?

I've got a newer PSU 750W (Is that enough these days) and I like my case, so I don't think I'd need to include that. My monitors are getting a little long in the tooth, so if there are decent deals out there for those, I might consider (I'm using an 8 year old Dell flatscreen LCD monitor and some cheapo Asus as a second monitor)

I don't really run any of the newer games out, but the ability to do so for a couple years would be nice.

I really appreciate any help, I know a lot of idiots come stumbling in here asking for advice when it's largely available to anyone with a bit of research. I am just so far out of the loop on hardware that I always second guess anything I end up putting together.

Thanks!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you already have a PSU and case, you can build a nice gaming rig for ~$800

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($222.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory($59.98 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card($199.00 @ NCIX US)
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Total:$789.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-10 16:25 EDT-0400

A few notes:

If you don't need the Windows 8.1 disk, you could drop that and upgrade the video card from a 960 to a 970 and still come in at ~$800. Also recycle your current HD as your storage drive, I only included a SSD/boot drive in the build. Also recycle your current dvd drive, or worst case scenario buy a new dvd burner for $15

Tolin_sl

shitlord
If you already have a PSU and case, you can build a nice gaming rig for ~$800

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($222.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory($59.98 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card($199.00 @ NCIX US)
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Total:$789.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-10 16:25 EDT-0400

A few notes:

If you don't need the Windows 8.1 disk, you could drop that and upgrade the video card from a 960 to a 970 and still come in at ~$800. Also recycle your current HD as your storage drive, I only included a SSD/boot drive in the build. Also recycle your current dvd drive, or worst case scenario buy a new dvd burner for $15
That's exactly what I was looking for Joeboo - Thanks so much.

Any recommendations on a decent monitor these days?

Thanks again.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Someone mentioned in this thread there is a reputable person on reddit that you can get a legit Windows key for like $15-25.