Desktop Computers

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Video was interesting but price will be prohibitive looks like about $1/gb not saying it is a bad price for what you get but way more than most people would pay .

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
500gb 850 EVO is 169.99 on Newegg today if you use MBL150408 from a mobile browser (or switch your user agent.)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Try Skyrim with RealVision ENB. It takes some time to setup but it's gorgeous in action.
"Some time"? Understatement of the year. This is a metric fuckton of setup.

That said, look at those visuals. Amazing.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well you know just trying to make it sound less daunting. When I tried it a while back I think it took me about an hour to get things going. The visuals are definitely Holy Shit! worthy.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The link you gave has some autoinstaller download dated April 1st. Is that new? Havent played Skyrim in a couple years, I'd love to give it a balls to the wall graphics mod runthrough.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit, PCs without SSDs are fucking garbage. I just rebuilt my former PC to sell it to someone, and it's like using a god damn 486. Chrome took 3 whole seconds to start. This is unacceptable.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Holy shit, PCs without SSDs are fucking garbage. I just rebuilt my former PC to sell it to someone, and it's like using a god damn 486. Chrome took 3 whole seconds to start. This is unacceptable.
You haven't felt pain until you've had to use OSX on a 5400 RPM drive. The thing with an SSD feels like a Windows box with a 7200 RPM drive.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
That could be. My thought was what would it look like in 3 x Sli since three 970 is about the cost of a titan.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
Hey guys,

I am looking to build a relatively cheap computer for my living room. It will primarily be used for streaming movies/tv and gaming. I have put together the following pieces of hardware but I don't know if I will be bottlenecking the computer with the CPU that I've chosen. I already have a windows 7 key and PSU, can you please let me know what you think of my build? thanks.
rrr_img_94498.jpg

Desidero

N00b
Hey guys,

I am looking to build a relatively cheap computer for my living room. It will primarily be used for streaming movies/tv and gaming. I have put together the following pieces of hardware but I don't know if I will be bottlenecking the computer with the CPU that I've chosen. I already have a windows 7 key and PSU, can you please let me know what you think of my build? thanks.
You don't have to go all out on a great CPU, but I'd be worried about getting something like that - especially since you're spending so much on a GPU. I'd get a 960 and a better CPU if you're on a budget.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would get a less ugly case and a GTX 960. That computer is fine but it doesn't need a 970.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Agreed, Drop $100 off of your video card budget and get a 960, and put that $100 into a better processor, like a i5 4670k.

Regardless of whether you get a 960 or a 970 now, either will have to be replaced in under 2 years to stay up to par in new games, but you REALLY don't want to have to do a processor upgrade in a couple years, thats a pain in the ass. Get an i5 thats going to last you 4-5 years, and plan on upgrading vid cards every 2 years or so

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's just a living room PC. It really doesn't need that good of a processor either.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's just a living room PC. It really doesn't need that good of a processor either.
But he did mention it would by used for gaming, not just media playback. I wouldnt go too cheap on the processor or there's a good chance it'll be bottlenecking him a couple years down the road. Games aren't going to only run on one core forever, I expect that to change over the next couple years.

Desidero

N00b
He was considering a 970, so he was obviously going to be doing some heavy lifting with it (or he had no idea what he was buying). Even a 960 will be hamstrung by that CPU in games that use multiple threads which is becoming more common.