Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Man the 90's was a fight w/ conventional 640k memory upper memory to 1024, then EMS memory. We'd try all kinds of shit like Qemm, then we all had to deal with the memory hog Doublespace, but we all used it anyway b/c well HD's were fucking expensive, we all just got better at offloading shit to XMS.

I still use .bat files, created one just the other day to close memory hogging progs on a VPS.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Question about the power of an ssd to breath new life into an old computer. I have an old hp mini 311. 3gb ram w32 bit architecture. .. it runs like shit even with a fresh install. The wife just wants to use it for the internet. Would an ssd save it or is it a lost cause at this point.

Sterling

El Presidente
Went from Commodore 64 to a Tandy 1000 with 640k RAM! Had an Atari ST shortly after that then eventually a 386 then a 486 then on up into the sweet pentiums. 18 computers since the 80s, not counting laptops. Holy shit that seems like a lot.

Sterling

El Presidente
Question about the power of an ssd to breath new life into an old computer. I have an old hp mini 311. 3gb ram w32 bit architecture. .. it runs like shit even with a fresh install. The wife just wants to use it for the internet. Would an ssd save it or is it a lost cause at this point.
SSD will make more of a difference than anything short of gutting and rebuilding I'd imagine. Not sure what sort of harddrive is in there now but I can imagine.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think it was a lost cause before any point, it's an HP.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did you have a pile of boot disks for running different games? With different colored labels? I wrote a batch file menuing system for launching all my games and it told you which color boot disk you had to insert and reboot.
Oh man do I wish I had a setup like that. I used to manually edit the batch files, and I had more than my fair share of fuck ups in that regard. After my second visit to the computer store to fix one of my batch boot issues (I was 10) the guy took the five minutes to show me how to make a boot disk and that shit changed my world. Dos memory management was probably the worst thing to deal with ever, all I wanted to play was Doom but my 386dx40 with it's 4MB of ram required a retarded amount of driver tweaking to even get it to load, let alone play well.

I'll give Windows 95 some credit for fixing the memory management issues of dos, but not having enough memory to run Windows95 correctly resulted in some pretty terrible performance. If your system ever plunged into paged memory you'd start thinking it'd be faster to do the work by hand than to wait for it to figure it's shit out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
don't forget for that old ass netbook, you would be well advised to install windows 7 (at least) this is b/c win7 has support for TRIM and basically SSD auto detection support. WinXP you had do a bit of configuring.

Let's just say life was easier for SSD when win7 came out.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
My storage HDD seems to be on its way out. It had a good run (over 6 years), but as of today, it seems to get disconnected and only shows up for a few minutes after rebooting. I've fortunately backed up the important stuff from the drive, but I still have to get a replacement.

Any suggestions for something with 2TB or more? My OS and software runs on an SSD, so speed isn't a huge concern.

Soriak_sl

shitlord

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just ordered the 2TB version of that one. I have another 2TB drive hooked up to my Boxee for media storage, so that's probably already overkill. My current storage drive shows up as 566GB; although that's definitely on the low end and I'll want some more this time around.
Plebs

rrr_img_103287.jpg