Desktop Computers

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
What the fuck is even on that HDD? I'm hoping you're some sort of video editor or something, cause jesus christ dude lol.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What the fuck is even on that HDD? I'm hoping you're some sort of video editor or something, cause jesus christ dude lol.
I finally stopped collecting media, at one point I had 4 3GB Hds full, 2 full with TV series, and 2 full of movies, then I realized that with the availability of Netflix and the ease of finding torrents(and high-speed internet access) that collecting all that shit was just dumb. Why am I storing all 20 seasons of Simpsons Episodes when I can just go download it at will again in the future if I want to watch some? I think that alone was something ridiculous like 400GB

The only thing I didn't ditch was an old roommate of mine went to the trouble of tracking down the entire catalog of the IMDB top 250 movies of all time. He struggled to find some of the older ones, so I'm holding on to that.

Fadaar

That guy
1080p rips of TV shows take up tons of space. I only have like 17 shows on my NAS and it's nearly 1 TB, and some of those shows aren't even complete. If I actually had all of Top Gear and South Park that would probably double. Also have 157 1080p movies and it's 1.85 TB.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Boxee doesn't support more than 2TB. Yes, it's weak... and yes, the drive is almost full. But then I also delete movies and most TV episodes after I've watched them once. Not a big fan of re-watching movies.
I used a Boxee before my HTPC build. You can absolutely use more than 2TB by putting the storage on the network (NAS or PC share), not hanging off the stupid USB slot.

As for my monster sized NAS, yea HD content takes up a ton of space. Good quality 1080p DTS-HD MA BluRay rips of a movie are generally >10GB each. Also, as Fadaar pointed out, good rips of TV shows take up tons of room as well. A 1080p TV show can be 2-3GB per episode! Between BTN and IPT, there is no point in me paying for Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

If you think things are bad now, just wait until 4K and storage requirements / bandwidth streaming compression sacrifices that will be required.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
I used a Boxee before my HTPC build. You can absolutely use more than 2TB by putting the storage on the network (NAS or PC share), not hanging off the stupid USB slot.

As for my monster sized NAS, yea HD content takes up a ton of space. Good quality 1080p DTS-HD MA BluRay rips of a movie are generally >10GB each. Also, as Fadaar pointed out, good rips of TV shows take up tons of room as well. A 1080p TV show can be 2-3GB per episode! Between BTN and IPT, there is no point in me paying for Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

If you think things are bad now, just wait until 4K and storage requirements / bandwidth streaming compression sacrifices that will be required.
What are you using to rip blurays? Whats the avg time per br ?

Been thinking about digitizing my br collection and dumping it all on a media pc..sounds like i need a shit ton of storage to do it though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you do a pure, non-compressed Blu-Ray rip it's probably going take about as long as the movie is, 2 hours to rip a 2 hour movie, and it'll be 54 gigs per disk. Most fairly high-quality Blue-Ray rips with minimal compression that you would get via torrent online are in the 8-12GB range(depending on the exact compression rate). I can download one of those MUCH faster than I can rip from a physical disk.

I really don't mind using 10-12GB of storage for a really good movie where the effects and sound are key(action movies, sci-fi, any Pixar stuff, etc), but 50+GB seems a little excessive to me. I honestly usually can't see the quality difference between a movie that is a 1080p rip at 12GB of size and a pure 54GB rip, they look(and sound) the same to me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't 50 GB include all the alternate language tracks as well which eat up some space? In essence those lower filesize rips are using some format of compression whether it is 15 MB/s video but removing the DTS or Dolby alt language tracks while still maintaining the DTS-HD english track? Man it has been years since I've messed with ripping these. Lot of random memories and settings screens popping in my head.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone know how those Crucial SSD's (MX100) on Prime Day compare to the Samsung EVO's? Thinking of grabbing a 256GB one for my HTPC, but the Samsung's are regularly on sale for $89.99. So if they're significantly better it'd be worth the $10 to me.

Amazon.com: Crucial MX100 512 GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Solid State Drive CT512MX100SSD1: Computers Accessories
Login with a Personal Account - UserBenchmark

Roughly 20% better benchmarks on the Evo. Worth $10 to me!

Silence_sl

shitlord
Just got a Seasonic 750w to fix my rare PSU problem. This thing is a BEAST. I had to use a fork lift just to get it in the door.

I'm going to have to use that same fork lift to install this monster of a Noctua cooler that's coming soon. 212 EVO was getting swamped my my 4790K, so had to upgrade.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You have some weird experiences with computers. What do you DO to these things?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just got a Seasonic 750w to fix my rare PSU problem. This thing is a BEAST. I had to use a fork lift just to get it in the door.

I'm going to have to use that same fork lift to install this monster of a Noctua cooler that's coming soon. 212 EVO was getting swamped my my 4790K, so had to upgrade.
you sure you don't want to just get a closed system water cooler?
Amazon.com: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW: Computers Accessories

Speaking as someone who used to buy the heatsink of the year, every year, this has saved me tons of $, since i got it 4 years ago. (the link is an updated version)Installation is stupid simple, with no need for hulk strength pressure just to fit a heatsink on, that will in 6months warp your board b/c it's almost 3lbs (yea no joke, you'll see most high end coolers are over 1300 grams) of metal.