Desktop Computers

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
We're on 2010 right now, and did a POC for 2013, but most users hated it - the 2016 Beta POC was well received though. We're waiting for that to roll out in 2 months and we're skipping 2013 for 2016.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I sure hope Outlook 2016 is good. This Mail app that ships with Windows 10 shows how good an email app could be when integrated with Windows 10 notifications and live tiles, but it's just lacking so many features and has so many bugs.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I could live the rest of my life with tiles. I learned to read at an early age so I didn't have to communicate with pictures.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We're on 2010 right now, and did a POC for 2013, but most users hated it - the 2016 Beta POC was well received though. We're waiting for that to roll out in 2 months and we're skipping 2013 for 2016.
LOL they just upgraded our entire office with 2013.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I like Office 2013 but I hate how the one that local installer that comes with Office 365 for Enterprise is an all-or-nothing install.

Borzak

It does seem to come with a lot of stuff that we never use, like powerpoint.

From the people I've talked to so far they use outlook obviously, excel a lot, word and that's all I've found so far.

Our data entry folks work on our software and then when they are done it's exported straight to the shop so need for any of it there. Our estimating and purchasing department uses that software we have and only email and use word for contracts and purchasing materials.

Excel is used in the operation department pretty heavy. Seems like a lot of stuff we have no use for. The PM's do ocassionaly use lync, personally I'm old school and just call and bitch on a phone.

I'm obviously not an IT expert having spent 25 years working alone or with a handful of other people and now I have to make decisions for them. Personally everything seems to be going well and nobody is complaining about what they are using. I'll ask around some more.

It was on the former IT guys todo list and apaprently he mentioned it to the boss so the boss asked me how that was going.

I'm VERY old school. But that's part of the reason I got hired, apparently they went thru a number of people that were very tech oriented or either didn't know or had no interest in the actual industry we are in.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well on MS2013 linc turned into Skype business for us. I guess MS bought skype or some shit. Same shit really just an interoffice chat program. We use ours all the time, fuck calling people. I dont think I used my office phone once in the past 2-3 years, lol. Its all email and chat.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We transitioned to Lync and they've been pushing Skype down our throats the last few days. Are you saying Skype business is taking over lync?

Borzak

Voice has a certain something to it when you are "motivating" someone who fucked up a giant part of a project. Now to people in the office I'll email. But to the field when they delay a billion dollar project for something stupid me yelling is much more effective I have found. I only yell at people who don't work for my company. Just others who fucked up something, like someone we're subcontracting to. Just wanted to clear that up I don't go around yelling at people I work with. The only people I need to talk to in the company are across the hall and I eat lunch with them daily. I'll send an email on something that needs to be documented obviously. I deal with very little "data" now. I motive and make sure things get done. Hard to describe. I think the boss called me an expeditor to others. To me he calls me someone who gets shit done.

And somehow I got the IT department put under me. Not happy about it.

Yeah I think MS bought skype or something, part of the optional downloads in windows update is skype now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Man, the Skylake processors for the first time have made me not want to do a new build like I've been doing for the past 2 years. May just upgrade the 780 Ti to 2 x 980 Ti's like I'd originally planned.

Damnit, I really like building new computers too.
Intel Z170 Board with Three Intel 750 SSDs Equals Ludicrous Speed - Legit Reviews
~3600 MB/s

What the fuckity fuck.

1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif

Borzak

I bought a key to office 2013 pro plus. I put it on my personal computer and I'll ask around what people want/need and see if it addresses it.

Our IT guy is out of town at our MS shop so when he gets back I'll basially ask him what he wants to do and the tell the boss.

When interviewing people to replace our last IT guy I didn't know what to ask so I just sat in. I asked one guy what his pet peeve was as an IT person. He went into this 15 minute tirade about people who install SSD drives upside down. I said I thought they were solid state (hence the SS) and it didn't matter which was a huge plus. He said yeah but putting them sideways or upside down was his pet peeve and had a crazy look. I wish I had recorded it. He got a pretty good laugh from the interviewers when he left.

The guy we hired said Microsoft. Sounded good to me. I dunno.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I bought a key to office 2013 pro plus. I put it on my personal computer and I'll ask around what people want/need and see if it addresses it.

Our IT guy is out of town at our MS shop so when he gets back I'll basially ask him what he wants to do and the tell the boss.

When interviewing people to replace our last IT guy I didn't know what to ask so I just sat in. I asked one guy what his pet peeve was as an IT person. He went into this 15 minute tirade about people who install SSD drives upside down. I said I thought they were solid state (hence the SS) and it didn't matter which was a huge plus. He said yeah but putting them sideways or upside down was his pet peeve and had a crazy look. I wish I had recorded it. He got a pretty good laugh from the interviewers when he left.

The guy we hired said Microsoft. Sounded good to me. I dunno.
rrr_img_105870.jpg
txt it to him!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pros just duct tape them to the side of the case. Bonus points for duct taping them under the roof of the case, or the exterior.

Borzak

I zip tied mine to the bottom of the regular drive cages. I'm sure one of them is upside down.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
back when i still had vertex2 30gb raided SSDs, they would fuck up once a year (the it would just not be recognized) i never send in my stuff to warranty, so somehow i just forced updated the firmware to kick it alive (needed a different pc w/ windows running), this started happening more as the SSD's aged, 1yr, then every 6months, then 3months... they were just hanging from the cable vertically, they weigh nothing, so they just dangled until i upgraded the SSD (cuz of sata3).