Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bad RAM or Windows page file corrupt are pretty much the only two options on that one. Or just a fux0red windows install. Reseat the ram sticks and if that doesn't work, wipe the drive (diskpart clean) and reinstall Windows.

Mire_sl

shitlord
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, not sure where else to put it.

Getting random BSOD's roughly 15 minutes after boot up and I have no idea why. Running Win7 home SP1 on an ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 mobo, i7-2600k oc'd to 4.2ghz, gtx 970, 8gigs gskill ram, a small ssd with windows/OS on it, a larger ssd with a few games, and an hdd for storage. 750watt PSU.

I've had this PC since September 2011 and never had any issues with it. Only non-original parts are the larger ssd I got a year ago and the 970 a few months ago. I didn't make any changes or do anything out of the ordinary that might have caused it. I've Googled numerous solutions and couldn't find anything that worked; even tried rolling back windows update stuff to before the issue arose.

The BSOD header is always bad_pool_header and the codes at the bottom of the most recent crash were:
STOP: 0x00000019 (0x0000000000000020, 0xFFFFFA8007C7B4D0, 0xFFFFFA8007C7B550, 0x000000000C080001)

Anyone have any idea?
- Try one ram dimm at a time at stock speeds.
- Check CPU temperatures.
- Run the CPU at stock speeds.
- Try with a another video card or use onboard.
- Get another hard drive / ssd and do a fresh install of windows and see if the same thing happens.

If all of the above fails, time to test the CPU and board on their own. If you can even manage to find equivalent parts.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Going to finally build a new gaming pc, shooting for no more than 1k but I havent really kept up with gaming rigs for a few years since I built my last one and I really want a ssd after seeing my roommates load Windows in like 5 seconds. Even then I built it on bargain prices, it has a 275GTX if that gives you an idea how long its been.

Any suggestions?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My suggestion is not to cut corners. Building a decent rig with the parts available right now should last you 4+ years.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
CPU is probably degrading and can't run at those clocks/voltage anymore or memory is going bad.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Memory tested fine with the windows memory diagnostic tool and the BSOD still happens when I tried 1 of each stick of memory. I ordered 16gb of new gskill anyway but if that doesn't change anything I'm going to try to reformat next. If THAT doesn't work, I guess I'm buying some new hardware...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Memory tested fine with the windows memory diagnostic tool and the BSOD still happens when I tried 1 of each stick of memory. I ordered 16gb of new gskill anyway but if that doesn't change anything I'm going to try to reformat next. If THAT doesn't work, I guess I'm buying some new hardware...
No, just try reformatting now. And set the clock speeds back to default.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
No, just try reformatting now. And set the clock speeds back to default.
Preparing for that now (had to find my product key in the registry, get Windows on a USB flash cause I have no discs, etc) so I'll go ahead and do that. I set the clock to default prior to this and it didn't change anything but I left it at default.

*Edit: Ha, wonderful. Trying to download the Win7 recovery shit and it says English is not a supported language for my product key =/

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Ok, I could use some help with a Win7 reinstall without CD's. I've got a valid OEM product key but it seems Windows does not support it? Their Windows recovery tool doesn't work with OEM licenses, according to various Google searches, so I can't download the ISO to put on a thumb drive for a fresh install. Anyone know a way around this or am I going to be stuck having to buy a new copy of windows?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Microsoft DigitalRiver Mirror

This site has all the old ISOs. Download the appropriate one, skip the key during the install, and then use one of the slmgr rearm commands after the install to get it to take your key.

Alternately, buy a cheap key off reddit.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
It's amazing how good a computer that isn't 8 years old can be.
JpRpnZk.gif

400GB Intel 750 PCI-E NVMe 3.0 x4 MLC Solid State Drive SSD $340 + Free Shipping
960GB Crucial M500 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive $280 after $20 Rebate + Free S&H

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Skylake is out and I'm recently out of a desktop due to an international move, so time to do a build. Any advice would be welcome.

Particular things I'm questioning:

- Motherboard choice
- RAM, am I getting the right stuff for a Skylake build?
- The case. I know a lot of people feel the Antec 300 is outdated. I don't like cases with doors in the front or plexi sides. I just like clean/black. Is there something newer I ought to be considering.
- I've never bought a separate CPU cooler, so not sure on brands/models
- No idea how much of a PSU I ought to get for a Skylake build

Stuff:

CPU
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

CPU Cooler:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011 - Newegg.com

MB:
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-16GVR - Newegg.com

Vid Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

SSD:
SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B - Newegg.com

Media Drive:
Western Digital WD Blue Hard Drive 1TB WD10EZEX 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

PSU:
?

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0 - Newegg.com

Monitor (x2):
Amazon.com: BenQ RL2460HT 24-Inch 1ms GTG with HDMI Out ZeroFlicker 2x HDMI LED-Lit Monitor: Computers Accessories

Total:
$1,176.92 + $420 (monitors) + PSU

Any big things I'm missing or should consider?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to offer.

edit: changed out the MB

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Any thoughts on this monitor? Looking for a decent 4K screen that isn't tiny. I was looking at the curved IPS (21:9) but they're typically 2K. Yes, I have money burning a hole in my pocket, before the question is asked.

BenQ BL3201PH 32IN 4K UHD IPS LED Monitor 3840X2160 4ms 2HDMI DVI VGA DP mDP Pivot HAS CAD/CAM - BL3201PH

Edit: Worth adding, I already have a pretty good system, including 3x EVGA 780s and an i7-4930K. If I get anything for this box, it'll be 3x 970, but I shouldn't need to upgrade those at this point. 3 of them should be able to drive a 4K monitor well enough.